Sound Quality?

Guest dj9928

Guest dj9928

I was thinking about getting one of these so I could get rid of my old Nokia and iPod touch, However I hear reports that sound quality isn't great and its rather low through the headphones, could somebody confim?

Guest AndyHibberd
I was thinking about getting one of these so I could get rid of my old Nokia and iPod touch, However I hear reports that sound quality isn't great and its rather low through the headphones, could somebody confim?

Personal experience - I was watching madmen on Rockplayer today and had the volume at about 1/3 maybe 1/4 full and it was plenty loud (SoundMagic headphones but I don't think headphone brand makes much dif on loudness). They say the speaker is better than the iphone 3gs too, and I can confirm that's also very loud.

Advice - Do not hesitate, you won't regret it!

Guest jdtanner

Mine is going back to be replaced as the background hiss is unbearable; I presume that it is a fault. However, having read up on audio hiss on Android phones, it appears that this is a general problem that annoys some people more than others. The hiss seems to be from the poorly isolated audio socket, in combination with using a standard 3.5mm (three?) pole jack in a four pole socket.

Anyway, I'll report back on my new one tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

John

Guest dj9928
Mine is going back to be replaced as the background hiss is unbearable; I presume that it is a fault. However, having read up on audio hiss on Android phones, it appears that this is a general problem that annoys some people more than others. The hiss seems to be from the poorly isolated audio socket, in combination with using a standard 3.5mm (three?) pole jack in a four pole socket.

Anyway, I'll report back on my new one tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

John

I had this issue with a Desire so returned it, Also had terrible issue with radio reception which was also apparently put down to the 4 pole socket, is this the same with this phone?

Guest GraviticVortex

Im still waiting for when Paul (or someone else) can find few moments to compare SF sound quality and volume with Desire.

Simply because i know how Desire sounds, would be good comparison...

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Personal experience - I was watching madmen on Rockplayer today and had the volume at about 1/3 maybe 1/4 full and it was plenty loud (SoundMagic headphones but I don't think headphone brand makes much dif on loudness). They say the speaker is better than the iphone 3gs too, and I can confirm that's also very loud.

Advice - Do not hesitate, you won't regret it!

Andy, what Rockplayer are you using, and what format for videos, as some i play are jerky as hell.

Thanks.

I find it very loud. The stock earphones you get leak sound like crazy and dont isolate very well. Pick up a good pair of IEMs and and all is well. One thing that is very annoying is the hiss, especially from the FM radio. Even with high impedance earphones (Jays d-Jays) the hiss is still audible. Hiss aside, the sound is on par with an iPod Nano, both sound a bit cold, lifeless and flat.

Edited by laag

Guest dj9928
I find it very loud. The stock earphones you get leak sound like crazy and dont isolate very well. Pick up a good pair of IEMs and and all is well. One thing that is very annoying is the hiss, especially from the FM radio. Even with high impedance earphones (Jays d-Jays) the hiss is still audible. Hiss aside, the sound is on par with an iPod Nano, both sound a bit cold, lifeless and flat.

Thats seems to be the same issues I had with the Desire, the radio picked up more hiss than anything else,

Guest spartathisis

I must say that i'm impressed with the sound through the speaker on mine, clear and loud. Listening through supplied headphones at the moment and i dont have an issue with the sound.

Think its like so many things, personal taste and opinion.

Guest AndyHibberd
Andy, what Rockplayer are you using, and what format for videos, as some i play are jerky as hell.

Thanks.

The latest one.

Madmen videos untouched, so native divx of 624 by 352, I think that's 320p.

Have advanced Task Killer installed and run that before playing videos.

Sometimes jitters but very watchable, def impressed me.

I wondered whether there could be a "Media Player Mode" where the device could boot just as a media player to use all resources for this purpose...?

Guest RottenFoxBreath
The latest one.

Madmen videos untouched, so native divx of 624 by 352, I think that's 320p.

Have advanced Task Killer installed and run that before playing videos.

Sometimes jitters but very watchable, def impressed me.

I wondered whether there could be a "Media Player Mode" where the device could boot just as a media player to use all resources for this purpose...?

Thanks,

That would be Rockplayer Universal yeah?

Tried an ep of South Park, worked fine, and also a larger tv episode, and that was fine too, but for movies, if not converted to ipod setup with handbrake, it judders like blazes.

ATK made performance a bit better..I was surprised at what was running without using it first.

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest AndyHibberd
Thanks,

That would be Rockplayer Universal yeah?

Tried an ep of South Park, worked fine, and also a larger tv episode, and that was fine too, but for movies, if not converted to ipod setup with handbrake, it judders like blazes.

ATK made performance a bit better..I was surprised at what was running without using it first.

Yea think so. ATK is good, try the auto kill option too. I have the lil icon on my main home screen and give it a quick tap before locking to make sure apps are not rinsing battery in the background.