15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest shifter101

Hi can anyone help me please when I try to use the Volume Down button (when powering on the phone) to get to the ClockworkMod menu it just comes up with FTM and I cannot do anything but remove the battery??

How do I enter the ClockworkMod menu what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for any help

Matt

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi can anyone help me please when I try to use the Volume Down button (when powering on the phone) to get to the ClockworkMod menu it just comes up with FTM and I cannot do anything but remove the battery??

How do I enter the ClockworkMod menu what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for any help

Matt

The Clockwork Mod has not been installed - repeat Step 2 again.

Guest shifter101
The Clockwork Mod has not been installed - repeat Step 2 again.

Hi thanks for the reply. Just tried again and it seems to be installing ok but I am getting the same FTM. Below is a screen shot of the command prompt. Can you see any errors?

clockworknew.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8884/clockworknew.jpg

Thanks

Matt

Edited by shifter101

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi thanks for the reply. Just tried again and it seems to be installing ok but I am getting the same FTM. Below is a screen shot of the command prompt. Can you see any errors?

clockworknew.jpg

Thanks

Matt

Did you CRC check the File before you ran the command?

And just a sanity check, you did step 1 and checked that the superuser command appeared in your menu?

Guest shifter101
Did you CRC check the File before you ran the command?

And just a sanity check, you did step 1 and checked that the superuser command appeared in your menu?

Hi no I didn't CRC check the file how to I do that in windows? Is this what you are talking about? http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip. ANd what command should I use under a windows command prompt for it to checksum the file?

And yes step 1 is complete I have the superuser command in my menu that bit went fine.

Sorry for my newbness its my first android phone. Loving it so far great little hand set.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Edited by shifter101

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi no I didn't CRC check the file how to I do that in windows? Is this what you are talking about? http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip. ANd what command should I use under a windows command prompt for it to checksum the file?

And yes step 1 is complete I have the superuser command in my menu that bit went fine.

Sorry for my newbness its my first android phone. Loving it so far great little hand set.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

The files in that md5sum.zip have to be extracted an put along side the clockwork mod files (in the fastboot folder)

Then the md5sum commands in the guide work

Md5 checks that file you downloaded is exactly the same as expected and has not broken during downloading

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest shifter101
The files in that md5sum.zip have to be extracted an put along side the clockwork mod files (in the fastboot folder)

Then the md5sum commands in the guide work

Md5 checks that file you downloaded is exactly the same as expected and has not broken during downloading

ok cheers ill give it a go when I get back from work.

Guest shifter101
ok cheers ill give it a go when I get back from work.

Got it sorted I used ubuntu boot cd in the end and it worked first time thanks for your help and posting the guide.

Cheers

Matt

Guest bignred84
bit of advice please folks, quite new to all this android phone stuff etc

I eventually rooted my SF with the Rom3

however since then this clockwork malarkey thing has come out

my query is do I still need to do it, & what are the benefits of this clockwork

thanks

any chance someone could advise on this

thanks

Guest StevenHarperUK
any chance someone could advise on this

thanks

Clockwork mod. Gives you a safety net when you are doing future updates. The recovery boot part of the phone's Rom is separate from the normal boot part. When you install clockwork mod you replace the recovery boot with a much more usefull tool.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest nick_sub

Thanks for this Stephen. Just been through the process and, combined with the links to other thread and Paul's video it all worked fine. I'm sure it would have taken twice as long without this guide - keep up the good work!

Guest bignred84
Clockwork mod. Gives you a safety net when you are doing future updates. The recovery boot part of the phone's Rom is separate from the normal boot part. When you install clockwork mod you replace the recovery boot with a much more usefull tool.

have followed the instructions for the clockwork mod, looked liked the picture/screenshot above in post 53

after the last option of fastboot

what is supposed to happen??? mine appeared to power up (is this correct)

are there any notable differences, are there any new files/folders on the sd card ??

thanks

Guest mELIANTE
Yes, I did it yesterday and it worked perfectly.

Just gotta swap step 3's file with 404's file right?

Forgive the noob question, but I'm a complete noob regarding to Android. :)

Guest kissofjudas

going ok up to now report back in a minute - looks like I followed the instructions ok THANKS To All Involved

Edited by kissofjudas

Guest nick_sub
Just gotta swap step 3's file with 404's file right?

Forgive the noob question, but I'm a complete noob regarding to Android. :)

Yes, that's right. The process is exactly the same.

Guest mephestic

all seems a bit scary.

im completely new to this whole thing and quite inexperienced and dont want to risk bricking my new phone :S

is it as easy as this makes out? :S

Also what further options become available once rooted? what more can i do with it that I cant out the box and unlocked?

Sorry for the n00b questions :)

Guest StevenHarperUK
great guide, worked perfect.

thankyou

Should I make this post a little more Vanilla and cover Sebastian404's de-orangeated ROM also?

Or should I make another Thread for that?

Guest mephestic

Edit:

Just to update - I finally did it!

It seems the problem everyone is having with the "waiting for device" on windows is the drivers are messing up when using bootloader mode and recovery mode.

These drivers fixed the problem (mostly anyways): http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...rivers-and-adb/

It worked after I installed that driver for the second device on my device manager.

This allowed bootloader mode to be recognised as prior windows would not pick it.

Once updated I followed the instructions exactly upto stage 3. On the clockwork recovery again this problem resurfaced and I couldnt transfer the modaco custom rom over because the laptop wouldnt let me mount while it was in the menu....luckily I have a microSD card adapter and I simply used that to transfer the modaco rom over and put the sdcard back into the phone and just followed the steps...It worked.

The phone started off slow but seems quicker than before.

I would advise noobs like myself out there that wish to do this, read everything very carefully and make sure firstly the drivers are installed correctly and you see your device manager pick up:

*Android ADB interface

*Android Composite ADB interface

You need both otherwise bootloader mode wont work.

Hope this helps...damn its 2am in the morning...time for sleep.

Steve - many thanks for your help, it was invaluable and also my thanks to paul...wherever he is..

Guest rbbrslmn

thanks for this, followed the steps for rooting and installing clockwork mod, now waiting for r4 to be more widely available (or anything with apps2sd already in)