how important is MD5summer when rooting?

Guest dwattsy21

Guest dwattsy21

Hi all,

I have been trying to root my phone for hours now. I have extracted the fastboot folder to my desktop and put in the boot.blade.superboot image in there. but when i aces this through the command module, according to StevenHarperUK's guide i should type md5sum boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img. Every time i try this, despite installling md5summer and having it running as an administrator, it returns an error saying "md5sum" is not recognised as an internal or external command. Do i need to do this stage?

Or does anybody know how to get past this problem, I have tried everything.. I thought this was supposed to be easy?!

Cheers,

Dave

Guest GraviticVortex

MD5sum is used to check file integrity.

To avoid using corrupted download and thus reducing chance of bricking your phone.

You can skip this part AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Edited by GraviticVortex

Guest dwattsy21
MD5sum is used to check file integrity.

To avoid using corrupted download and thus reducing chance of bricking your phone.

You can skip this part AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Any idea why it keeps saying md5sum is not recognised...

I have downloaded the top one from the website and have it saved in my downloads folder. is there anything special that you need to do to it to make it work? The rest of the installation looks easy, I just can't figure out why i am having this problem!!

I'm guessing you didnt have this problem, could you tell me ho you downloaded it and where you have saved it? Did you extract it or just leave it as it was?

Guest oh!dougal
... I have extracted the fastboot folder to my desktop and put in the boot.blade.superboot image in there. but when i aces this through the command module, according to StevenHarperUK's guide i should type md5sum boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img. Every time i try this, despite installling md5summer and having it running as an administrator, it returns an error saying "md5sum" is not recognised as an internal or external command. ...

.. I thought this was supposed to be easy?!

Dave, recognise firstly that your problem is with using your computer.

It depends on what you might be used to doing with the computer as to whether or not this sort of thing really is "easy".

You seem to be running Windows.

Begin by recognising that to do this stuff, you are running text-based programs. You are using the computer as in pre-Windows days. You probably don't remember MSDOS. All computers used to run in this sort of way - then the Xerox Star and Macintosh appeared.

Where people are writing programs to be used by savvy users, where what the program does is more important than what it looks like, they quite often make these tools that work just as text. For tech users, its a tool, and the question is principally whether the tool does the job.

Your md5 program effectively adds another command (a new trick) to DOS.

So you probably use it by typing its name, a space, the name of the file to check, and then press return.

The program will run, generate the checksum, and then return to the dos prompt. > (The program wouldn't "run in the background".)

BUT ---- MSDOS is a bit thick. It doesn't go and look for things. So -- to keep it simple, put the downloaded and extracted md5 program into the same folder (directory) that you are working in (is it called fastboot?) Put all your project stuff into the same folder, then 'navigate' DOS so that you are "in" that folder. Then you don't have to explain to DOS where things are stored, because even thikko DOS can find it! Right now, either the MD5 program isn't, or you haven't pointed DOS at the right folder, which is why its "not recognised".

This ain't about the phone, or these specific programs. Its about using the computer.

Personally, I'd think it appropriate to have a warning posted that if you don't know what a "DOS prompt" or a mac "terminal window" is, then you should ask a friend (who does) for help. (If you've installed your own Linux, and done almost anything with it, this probably does count as "easy" ! )

Point is, there are computer skills required that are different to those needed to run Internet Explorer.

Warning - if anything says "Hit any key to continue" --- this is not an invitation to violently release your pent-up tension upon the computer, though that is not completely unknown! Just press the spacebar, gently, ONCE. :)

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest StevenHarperUK

Also the MD5 tool for Windows may not be a command line tool.

You may have to skip the step in the command window, but instead use the Application like you would normally use a Windows App (with a mouse).

The fastboot-windows commands are ONLY for a terminal, the md5sum is a very standard tool that is available in many different apps, some will work on a command line

, others will be stand-alone programs that you use the mouse to start, choose the the file you want to md5 (check the integrity of the file)

All that matters is that when the program has read your file and given you the generated MD5 - that it matches the MD5 that is expected.

Guest oh!dougal
Also the MD5 tool for Windows may not be a command line tool.

You may have to skip the step in the command window, but instead use the Application like you would normally use a Windows App (with a mouse).

The fastboot-windows commands are ONLY for a terminal, the md5sum is a very standard tool that is available in many different apps, some will work on a command line

, others will be stand-alone programs that you use the mouse to start, choose the the file you want to md5 (check the integrity of the file)

All that matters is that when the program has read your file and given you the generated MD5 - that it matches the MD5 that is expected.

Steven your download link in the other thread has an extra quote character!

Dave - There's a windows version which looks like this http://www.md5summer.org/about.html and which you'd use to check the file and then move on to proceeding to Steven's next step (if the MD5 is OK.)

And there's a command line version. (Which Dave and I assumed.)

And a 'beta' (still in testing) version. (No need to use that one!)

Steven's instructions specified the command line version, but he also suggested Dave download the Windows version.

Dave didn't spot that confusion.

Use the Windows version (in windows)

---- OR ----

Use the DOS Command Line version, at the DOS Command Prompt, as per Steven's step by step.

Either way, the point of this stage is to generate the checksum and compare it with what it should be.

If not, try downloading again.

If the MD5 is right, then move on, you've done the MD5 step.

two more points

--- Steven, your tutorial should mention that the MD5 s mentioned are those for those specific releases, and other distributions will, of course, generate different checksums.

--- Paul/MoDaCo -- zip files with their own integrity checking are SO much easier for inexperienced users. Might even be an idea to ZIP these tar.gz files -- sure they might grow a little, but it avoids all this!

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest dwattsy21

Wow, cheers guys, so helpful. Thank you so much for your input, I will try your advice and tips tomorrow and let you know how I get on!

Cheers,

Dave

Guest StevenHarperUK
Steven your download link in the other thread has an extra quote character!

--- Steven, your tutorial should mention that the MD5 s mentioned are those for those specific releases, and other distributions will, of course, generate different checksums.

The extra character was fixed or added by a person quoting.

I have added a mention of MD5'ing (in Red no less)

Ta for the hints