Best car dock / windscreen mount for SF

Guest Picard SF

Guest flopyro
They do ship to EU but its really expensive, I checked for Belgium and its 16 pounds.

I just ordered a i900 car mount from Ebay for +- 5 dollar (shipping included):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=190402176493

I'm willing to take a risk for 5 dollar

when you get your car mount, could you please tell me if it's tight fit ? and if the "Suction cup" is good, cause i have bought one of this mounts for an older phone, and it just keept feling of the windscreen.

thanks !

Guest BigBearMDC
They do ship to EU but its really expensive, I checked for Belgium and its 16 pounds.

I just ordered a i900 car mount from Ebay for +- 5 dollar (shipping included):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=190402176493

I'm willing to take a risk for 5 dollar

I just ordered one of them too. 5$ are really not bad B)

Best regards,

BB

I decided to go down the Brodit route, mainly because I hate windscreen mounts, but also we are likely to keep the car 5 years.

So I picked up a proclip on ebay for £10, and a tilt / swivel holder for the Omnia HD for £18.

To get a perfect fit I added a couple of strips of electricians tape, but its exactly what I wanted. I also added a right angled usb charge cable to tidy that side of things up, my car has a powered a usb socket. Not cheap but the units placed exactly where I want, and as I said before, I dont like windscreen mounts.

Guest davestavros
I would like a car phone mount/cradle but not one with a long flexible arm. Just one that short & stubby.

imo, the arm one would get in the way.

The San Francisco is my girlfriend's phone. I have an nokia N8 and the OEM nokia holder (CR-122) fits the San Fran perfectly. The micro USB port is in a weird place on the San Francisco but if you put the phone slightly off-centre you can plug the charger in. A bit more pricey than £3.99 (I got mine for £15 from amazon) but it is built to last and looks like it will fit all phones with this form factor (N8, HTCs, Galaxy S, iphone) so it should be a little bit future-proof in case you decide you "need" to move up to a 4.3" android B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i am currently using the nokia x6 mount it fits but the only thing is that top does not clip as the phone is to wide saying that though no 1 will notice this and the phone does not fall out been using this ever since i got my phone and looks amazing hope this helps also i posted an image of the mount

31C9vUCyK4L.jpg

Edited by lilzad

Guest RussellS
I ordered the same one, heres 2 pics from mine. As already mentioned it fits the blade perfect and theres no movement.

blade_car1.jpg

I would be worried about the corner pieces and the clip rubbing against the phone and wearing the coating away. We've seen from other threads from users without cases how easily the thin coating wears & flakes off.

Nokia CR-115 seems to be very universal and as what i know about Nokia car mounts, they are very solid and easy to use. i also like Nokia's twist-to-fix vacuum cup.

pictures look like CR-115, but is not mentioned as CR-115 - £3.77: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260705183078

mentioned as CR-115 but a little bit more expensive - £4.21: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=200504648359

i bought such a universal car mount for the air vent some years ago and like the benefit of using it for different phones. unfortunately it's not useable with all air vents and you cannot turn it to landscape view, like almost all vacuum cup mounts. i like the nokia build quality. i bought a mount for my formerly used Nokia 5800 from China which was really good and i will go for the CR-115 as at least one of you seems to use it without any problems. The also named CR-122 for the Nokia N8 also seems to be a good choise, but it seems to be harder to fix the phone to the mount as you have to spread the clamps to mount the phone instead of pressing them together like with the CR-115:

Nokia-Universal-Holder-CR-115-Nokia-Mobile-Holder-CR-122.jpg

Edited by ladiko

(...) I will go for the CR-115 as at least one of you seems to use it without any problems. The also named CR-122 for the Nokia N8 also seems to be a good choise, (...)

post-794955-1295109979_thumb.jpgpost-794955-1295109949_thumb.jpg

post-794955-1295109954_thumb.jpgpost-794955-1295109962_thumb.jpg

Overall I am quite happy with the CR-115, bu the only thing that you need to take into account when using it with the ZTE Blade is that you cannot center the mobile in the holder catch or otherwise the Volume Up/Down buttons will be on the way and get pressed constantly.

This means that when used in landscape mode, the phone is not centered and therefore it may vibrate a little. You can see that in the pictures posted above (Apologies about the crappy quality by the way O:))

I guess the CR-122 could be a better alternative, as the N8 (113.5 x 59 x 12.9 mm) and ZTE Blade (116 x 56.5 x 11.8 mm) dimensions are somehow similar and due to the design the phone would be completely centered, allowing for an optimal position to minimise vibrations. However until somebody confirms that CR-122 fits well, nobody will know for sure.

I guess the CR-122 could be a better alternative, as the N8 (113.5 x 59 x 12.9 mm) and ZTE Blade (116 x 56.5 x 11.8 mm) dimensions are somehow similar and due to the design the phone would be completely centered, allowing for an optimal position to minimise vibrations. However until somebody confirms that CR-122 fits well, nobody will know for sure.

I wonder if the CR-122 would block the USB socket? That would rule out using a car charger.

Guest That-Guy
I wonder if the CR-122 would block the USB socket? That would rule out using a car charger.

Maybe that could be fixed by drilling a hole through the mount?

Guest evilpaul

I've picked up the CR-122 for my OSF, and it fits fine. You need to connect the USB cable before putting the phone into the cradle to ensure you get the positioning right, but it does hold the phone very securely.

huu now i'm confused... should i buy the CR-115 or the CR-122... i guess the CR-115 will be the easier way to ensure that future devices will fit as well while the CR-122 seems to be the better choice for the OSF... i guess i will buy the CR-115 as i usually dont use the phone in landscape mode... and even if i do it, the nokia mount is not as flimsy as other mounts and should not tend to vibrate so much.

do you use your phone in portrait or landscape mode when you use it for nativation? when i started with phone navigation on a Nokia N73 the usuall way was portrait mode and i still do it that way, maybe mechanically... how do you do that?

post-794955-1295188328_thumb.jpgpost-794955-1295188336_thumb.jpg

Following up on the CR-115 car holder and, in order to be able to have the San Francisco centered while in landscape mode, I just wanted to let you all know that I decided to do some DIY and cut off some of the soft plastic/silicone from the holder as seen in the picture. Out of curiosity I used a scalpel, but anything similar will do (e.g. X-acto knife)

post-794955-1295188317_thumb.jpgpost-794955-1295188323_thumb.jpg

After that the phone sits completeley centered and the Volume Up/Down buttons are unaffected. I've also tested the GPS this morning during a 26 mile trip, the majority of it through the motorway, and the phone did not vibrate whatsoever. The DIY job does not seem to affect in a negative way how secure the mobile is hold.

I'll see if I can upload a couple of crappy videos that I took this morning to YouTube and post the links over here later. Unfortunately the forum does not allow for AVI files to be uploaded as attachments.

Edited: There's the YouTube video. For reference the car was doing about 70 miles/h, the phone barely vibrated but unfortunately I did, hence the crappy quality of the video (and that it was recorded using an old nokia phone that only captures a few seconds at a time). Enjoy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX5BvWHZxy0

(...)

do you use your phone in portrait or landscape mode when you use it for nativation? when i started with phone navigation on a Nokia N73 the usuall way was portrait mode and i still do it that way, maybe mechanically... how do you do that?

I am used to use it in landscape mode, but mainly because I have been using a traditional SatNav for the last couple of years and it feels more natural. If you prefer portrait mode just rotate the holder and the SatNav software will update the image to that orientation automatically itself.

Edited by wakaru

Guest fLaMePr0oF
Just bought http://www.qfonic.com/phone-accessories-sa...ger-p-4176.html as I saw on a previous post the samsung omnia is about the same size - I'll update you when i get it (and if it doesn't work its only £3.99)

Still out of stock, but I found this one from HK which looks like an identical product... (Except has no charger, just the mount)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Kit-Mount-Holder...=item45f816a8e0

Ordering one now, will post feedback when it arrives.

fLaMePr0oF

After that the phone sits completeley centered and the Volume Up/Down buttons are unaffected. I've also tested the GPS this morning during a 26 mile trip, the majority of it through the motorway, and the phone did not vibrate whatsoever. The DIY job does not seem to affect in a negative way how secure the mobile is hold.

Just to say that I use my Blade in the Nokia CR-115 slightly off centre (to avoid the volume buttons) in landscape mode, no problem at all. Just come home from a 100 mile trip and it didn't move or vibrate at all. I would say it's more stable than my old Tomtom. Highly recommended. ;)

I'm not mocking your mod Wakaru, it's fine, only wondering if it's really necessary if you're happy with it being off centre.

post-788872-1295224181_thumb.jpg

BTW, what is that sat-nav app you are using? It looks good. :)

Cheers...