Hardware Mod to use iPhone compatible headsets with i9000

Guest DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

As discussed in another thread, my Singapore i9000 shipped with the t/r/r/s flipped from the iPhone and HTC phones. This results in bad audio and the mic not working, along with the mic button not working. I believe European i9000's have the same "issue".

I'd been using home-made adapter cables that cross the mic and ground wires (too fragile), and even a purchased one (too bulky), but neither solution was satisfying.

I just replaced the jack assembly in my i9000 with the Samsung-T959-Front-Speaker-Flex-Cable-p/smsng6085900"]speaker/headphone-jack assembly for a Vibrant. The part is $10, but I had to order 2, plus a few bucks for shipping. The part number is different than the one the i9000 ships with.

I've tested with my Etymotics HF2 and Bose earphones. Sound is perfect, mic is perfect, mic button does the pause/play/answer-phone thing. No mods to the software are required.

No more kludgy adapters. Well worth the price and effort.

I made a video of the process, and will post on youtube after some editing. It's not particularly difficult; if a thick-fingered old dude like me can do it, anyone can. Screwdriver is only tool required. Probably voids your warranty, but if you keep the old one around, you could replace it before sending in for repair if ever needed.

Guest DistortedLoop
I have been looking for an adapter to fix this. I don't feel happy taking a screwdriver to my SGS. Can you tell me where you got your adapter from?

Thanks

http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-354r3m-r2f.htm

Caution, it is very thick and bulky. Made the phone hard to get in and out of my shorts pockets. It does work, though. No screwdriver required. :)