Guide to Upgrading and Downgrading the Streak

Guest homeiss

Guest taho777

Hi all and thanks for the guide.

Ive followed the directions for going from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) to O2 1.6 (build 4399) to the letter except for rooting which apparently isn't necessary.

But I seem to be stuck on AT&T 1.6 (build 6601).

Ive tried the process several times but after the recovery reboot its still on AT&T 1.6 6601.

Any idea what else I might need to do or what I might be doing wrong ?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

For some reason its not letting me downgrade from o2 2.1 to o2 stock 1.6. I followed all the intructions to the T. I keep getting the android is up to date message with an exclamation pic in the background. Is there a different way to do this? I am trying to go back to stock at&t.

Guest salsachilli

I'm using a new streak supplied by O2 but with a 1.6 3883 rom, can anyone quickly explain how to upgrade it to the 1.6 version described / used in the first page.

It's the first time I've ever attempted to flash a rom so am being ultra careful.

Guest punkrckriot

so i was trying to downgrade to back to the ATT rom just for a change of pace and all was going well until i tried to downgrade to O2 1.6. it just wouldnt work the recovery was telling me to insert an SD card, which was definitely in there. so i reflash clockworkmod recovery via fastboot and get these errors

E:Can't find MISC:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/innersd0p5 (file exists)

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/command 

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2(file exists)

when i try wipe data/factory reset i get
-- Wiping data...

Formatting DATA:...

Formatting DATADATA:...

Formatting CACHE:...

E: Can't mount /dev/block/innersd0p5 (file exists)

Error mounting /cache/!

Skipping format...

Formatting SDEXT:...

No app2sd patition found. Skipping format of /sd-ext.

Formatting SDCARD:/.android_secure...

Data wipe complete.

any ideas? because im all out lol

update: after some intensive searching i found a thread burried deep within xda(lol) and it pretty much said the internal (non user accessible) sd card is "loose" or something. which is odd to me considering that ive never had an issue with it before and i have never dropped my streak.

update 2: so i opened up my streak and removed and replaced the internal SD card and it still is giving me the same errors. so any help is appreciated

Edited by punkrckriot

Guest punkrckriot

Ok seems that the internal 2gb microSD card has died on me and i need a brave soul to open up their streak (really not that hard. i followed the ifixit.com guide) and send me everything off of that SD card. i would then need help setting up my spare 8gb microSD to work with in the streak, like the correct partitions etc. so any help is REALLY appriciated because i cant affoard a new streak

Hi,

I just purchased streak with 6267 (00EU) version.

I read everywhere, that it is indeed upgradeable to 2.1 then 2.2

I followed instructions at the other thread.

Problem is, just after i flashed Update.pkg (Streak_104_4399_21.pkg), it says "software is up to date. Rebooting in 30 secs", and after rebooting, it actually still is 6267 !!! :mad::mad::mad:

I tried for more than 5 times. All same results.

I also tried to factory reset, re-fastboot, re-flash recovery, then re-flash ROM. Still same results !! It still is 6267 after reboot..

Anyone knows which part I have gone wrong ?? Please guide me... I badly want my streak to go 2.2.

Guest ShinyBallBoy
Hi,

I just purchased streak with 6267 (00EU) version.

I read everywhere, that it is indeed upgradeable to 2.1 then 2.2

I followed instructions at the other thread.

Problem is, just after i flashed Update.pkg (Streak_104_4399_21.pkg), it says "software is up to date. Rebooting in 30 secs", and after rebooting, it actually still is 6267 !!! :mad::mad::mad:

I tried for more than 5 times. All same results.

I also tried to factory reset, re-fastboot, re-flash recovery, then re-flash ROM. Still same results !! It still is 6267 after reboot..

Anyone knows which part I have gone wrong ?? Please guide me... I badly want my streak to go 2.2.

I think you only flashed stock recovery, what's the size of Streak_104_4399_21.pkg?

I think you only flashed stock recovery, what's the size of Streak_104_4399_21.pkg?

streak.png

wrong ones ?? this is the one i renamed to Update.pkg and put in sd card..

Thanks for the step by step, but I am getting the following error.

I am currentlyj on AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) and want to go to O2 1.6 (build 4399) so I can upgrade to eventually 2.2.

I have successfully:

1. gained root access

2. installed the Dell PC utility

3. enabled fastboot

4. flashed the stock recover ROM with fastboot (recovery.stock.img) Pulled battery and removed USB

5. booted to recovery. After choosing the "Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card" option, i am taken to a screen with blue text on it. It tells me to hit Volume Down to exit or Camera button to proceed.

6. After hitting the camera button, the progress bar starts and gets about halfway done. Then I get the error : Assert failed: write_raw_image"/tmp/boot.img") :Error in /sdcard/update.pkg/dec (Status 7)

I initially thought it was a bad pkg file so I downloaded it again from an alternate browser. No luck.

Any thoughts? I really want to get off this OLD 1.6 and onto the 2.2 that I love on my Moto Droid1 (CM6.0 Nightly).

Thanks

post-774503-1287170550_thumb.jpg

same problem and looks like no solution for now.:)

Guest lundrog

I have a Dell Beta Streak, working on the steps to get to 2.1, I used fastboot to get recovery on, that works good.

Now I am trying to update the update.pkg, I copy, go into recovery, select the update option, it go's into clock work, but I get

a

E:can't find MISC:

ClockworkMod Recovery v1.8.2.7

and every few sec the back and settings button flashes.

idea's?

Ending up following this.

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...e/#entry1387484

Edited by lundrog

That's normal... just continue with the instructions in the guide..

I have a Dell Beta Streak, working on the steps to get to 2.1, I used fastboot to get recovery on, that works good.

Now I am trying to update the update.pkg, I copy, go into recovery, select the update option, it go's into clock work, but I get

a

ClockworkMod Recovery v1.8.2.7

and every few sec the back and settings button flashes.

idea's?

Ending up following this.

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...e/#entry1387484

Guest zipitupuk

Hi all,

just had my dell streak a week now since Dell repaired/refurb'd it due to continual random reboots and i fancy installing froyo 2.2 from here.

The problem is nothing on here relates to my dell in your update guides - Specifically the build number that i cant find mentioned anywhere???

The dell Streak is an O2 version (I'm in the UK)and it has a Rebel Sim card Adapter in it.

All your info for Data refers to O2 and AT&T when mine is running on Virgin (T-Mobile Carrier)?

Can someone please tell me in simle plain english what i need to do to get this much wanted upgrade in usability please.....

(and how to go back to 1.6 in case the phone ever needs to be returned to dell under warrenty)

Phone Details

Firmware 1.6

Baseband Version GAUSB1A110421-EU

Kernal Version 2.6.29-perf

OEM version GAUSB1A110421

Build Number 3883

Many Thanks

Mark

Edited by zipitupuk

Guest Shurafa

Great Guide Thank You!

I just got a replacement Streak from Dell:

I followed the guide and was able to go from:

Stock 1.6 to

O2 1.6 to

O2 2.1

Without any problems.

I was also able to load clockwork mod from this link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754563

I renamed and ran the Update-release-1.1.1.zip.

Upon rebooting I see the dell logo followed by the dell logo animation and then the white dell logo again. It gets stuck at this screen for at least 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Guest nanostreak
Great Guide Thank You!

I just got a replacement Streak from Dell:

I followed the guide and was able to go from:

Stock 1.6 to

O2 1.6 to

O2 2.1

Without any problems.

I was also able to load clockwork mod from this link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754563

I renamed and ran the Update-release-1.1.1.zip.

Upon rebooting I see the dell logo followed by the dell logo animation and then the white dell logo again. It gets stuck at this screen for at least 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Choose factory reset (there is a thread about that and luckily this is a common problem and you should be able to fix it).

Guest Shurafa
Choose factory reset (there is a thread about that and luckily this is a common problem and you should be able to fix it).

Reset did the trick. Thank you for the speedy reply and the quick fix!

Guest khernden69
To write this I have basically pulled together all of the most pertinent information about upgrading and downgrading the streak into one big guide. Enjoy!

I would like to thank everyone who wrote guides that helped me with upgrading and downgrading my Streak.

If you are just getting started with the Streak, please read the What you need to know about the Dell Streak guide. Amongst other things this guide will show you how to set up fastboot and how to use it, which is essential for these guides. It's very easy to follow and has pictures! :) (Thanks Radddogg!)

READ EVERYTHING VERY CAREFULLY! THE GUIDES AND ALL FILES BELOW ARE USED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Make sure you have over 80% battery life before you do these guides!

Table of Contents

• Starting from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601)
  • Starting from O2 1.6 (build 4399)
  • Upgrading from O2 2.1 (build 8105) to Stephen Hyde's 2.2
  • Downgrade from Stephen Hyde's 2.2 to O2 2.1 (build 8105) & Downgrade from O2 2.1 (build 8105) to O2 1.6 (build 4399) then to AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) with Baseband Downgrade

You do not need to root your streak to upgrade to O2 2.1 so if that's you just skip to the Upgrading from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) to O2 2.1 (build 8105) section. If you are not planing on upgrading but would like root access, you will need to unlock the Unknown Sources setting first.

Unlock Unknown Sources:
    1. Open the phone dialer and type: *#*#307#*#* (the screen will flash and seem like nothing happened)
    2. Go to the app drawer, you will now see EMList, open it (if it doesn't show up try a reboot).
    3. Scrool down and select app_security
    4. Select update unknown resource property to enable it
    Go back to home screen and go Menu > Settings > Applications > then select Unknown Sources. To remove the EMList application, go back into the dialer and type: *#*#308#*#* After a reboot the EMList icon will be gone from your app drawer.

Gaining root access:

1. Download Universal Androot and install it.
    2. Open it up and select Superuser for Android 1.5/1.6 in the drop down menu.
    3. Tap on Go Root, after a few seconds it will tell you it was successful. If it fails the first time tap it again and it should work.
    With the Universal Androot app you can unroot at any time by opening the app up and selecting the Undo Root button.

Upgrading from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) to O2 2.1 (build 8105)

To go from AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) we need to go to O2 1.6 (build 4399) and then upgrade to O2 2.1 (build 8105).

1. Download the stock recovery ROM from the first post in this thread and the official Dell ROM from here.
    2. Rename the Dell ROM Update.pkg and copy it to the root of your microsd.
    3. Put the recovery image you downloaded into the same folder as the fastboot.exe.
    4. Turn off the Streak and put it in fastboot mode by holding down the camera shutter button then press and hold the power button until a white screen comes up.
    5. Tap on the Fastboot button in the top right corner.
    6. You will see Wait for USB Fastboot detect, wait 10 seconds and then plug in the usb cable from the computer.
    7. The screen will then change to say Fastboot_Mode. In windows go to Start > Run... > type: cmd and hit enter.
    8. Now navagate to the fastboot.exe file with the cd command.
    9. When you get there type: fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.stock.img
    10. When it says Download RECOVERY Done! on the Streak pull the battery and remove the usb cable.
    11. Put the battery back in and hold the volume up and down buttons down while pressing the power button, it will boot into recovery menu.
    12. Select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. Be patient it will take a while.
    13. The Streak will reboot and you are now on O2 1.6 (build 4399).
    Now your AT&T Streak is on the same build and version of Android as the original UK O2 Streak. If you've made it this far upgrading to 2.1 is a piece of cake.

[*]Download the O2 2.1 (build 8105) file in this post.

[*]Rename the file to Update.pkg and copy it over the old file in the root of your microsd.

[*]Turn of the Streak.

[*]Hold the volume up and down buttons down while pressing the power button, it will boot back into recovery. Be patient it will take a while.

[*]Select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. Be patient it will take a while.

[*]The Streak will reboot and you are now on O2 2.1 (build 8105).

You can use Universal Androot to gain root like above only select Superuser for Android 2.0 ~ 2.2. It will say it failed but if you do it again it will work.

Original sources: here & here

Thank you so much for posting this great guide. I was able to go all the way back to ATT 1.6 with a little time but it worked perfectly.

Ok so id like to update my stock Att 1.6 Streak to the new Froyo build to V1.2. maybe im missing something but i cant find instructions on how to flash it. is this update based on the o2 rom?

Guest tonymenocal

Hey downgrading from 2.1 to 1.6, the download to be named update.pkg is recognized as a zip/rar on my system and the recovery wont see it and asks for another .pkg??? what gives guys..

Guest tonymenocal
Hey downgrading from 2.1 to 1.6, the download to be named update.pkg is recognized as a zip/rar on my system and the recovery wont see it and asks for another .pkg??? what gives guys..

**** I obviously editing it to be Update.pkg but alas not recognised by recovery...????

Edited by tonymenocal

Guest tonymenocal

Played around with it, however recovery will not see the 02 1.6 update.pkg... does this have anything to do with it being auto labeled as a zip file. After I change it to .pkg recovery still will not recognize it? I need to return my streak =-(

hey I was trying to upgrade from att 1.6 to stevens 2.2, everything was going fine until i tried flashing the recovery.zip that you need to flash before installing stevens update. ran fastboot and it says Start writing RECOVERY and never seems to finish. If I just pull the battery and then boot to the update installer, I am getting the verification failed, I am assuming because the recovery didnt write properly. I seem to have lost the ability to flash a recovery but i have no idea why and want to see if theres anything possible to get out of this, otherwise i guess im stuck on 2.1 forever....ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Thanks

I, with at least 2 other people on this thread, am also seeing the issue when downgrading from O2 2.1 to O2 1.6 concerning "Software is up to date. System will reboot in 30 seconds." issue when trying to update to 4399. Any advice on this issue? I need to return this to old Streak to Dell soon :)