Froyo Beta Build on US Engineering Sample

Guest dtech2008

Guest dtech2008

Hey gang! Long-time parser, first-time poster here at Modaco.

Steve's 2.2 build is installed and running nicely on my US engineering sample device, so I figured I'd feedback some data for the benefit of others with similar devices. Thus far (~24 hours), I've been extremely pleased with this build on this device. Its been very stable, and UI performance is as advertised: awesome. So anyway, on to the data!

My Hardware

For reference, here's the info from the mfg labels in the battery compartment of my device.

• Streak Engineering Sample
  • Model: "Streak" (M01M)
  • HW Ver: EVT2
  • PCB ver: S02
  • Variant: AWS
  • Memory: Toshiba 4G+4G
  • FCC ID: VRSM01M002

Here's the software information on my device going into the updates.
    • Android Version: 1.6
    • Baseband Version: GAUSB1A111100-AWS
    • Build Number: 6267
      1. This is a summary, not a full, detailed, step-by-step how to.
      2. Obligatory: Backup before you do this!
      3. My accelerometer has been 100% out of commission since changing my baseband to 21
      4. My IMEI isn't fully provisioned, so I'm locked to Edge/2.5G. This is fine for me, but means I cannot comment on the functionality or performance of the 3G/HSPA radio.
      My Update Process

Step 0: I upgraded my device to 2.1 using the process outlined in Fawaad's post (#189) in this thread. Thanks Fawaad!

In my case, I flashed all 3 Eclair builds (in order: 6941, 8023, and 8105) and performed a factory reset after each to test the accelerometer. In each case, everything was as expected, except for the accelerometer. Thinking it was a baseband issue, I decided to proceed with the Froyo baseband flash + fastboot image load method exactly as prescribed in Steve's thread (the 'archived' how-to):

Step 1: Downloaded the new radio (streakflash.zip) and the Froyo image files from Steve's thread

Step 2: Used QDLTools (streakflash.zip) to flash the radio. This changed my baseband to 'AUS_100908_01_BOSS_EVT3_F-AWS'.

Step 3: Used fastboot to flash the 3 image files. I flashed in order: boot, system, userdata - no errors incurred flashing any of the 3.

Step 4: Booted once, allowed a full startup, then performed a factory reset

Step 5: Donate to Steve. Thanks Steve! :)

Post-Update Software

• Android Version: 2.2
      • Baseband Version: AUS_100908_01_BOSS_EVT3_F-AWS
      • OEM Version: AUS_100908_01_boss_evt3_froyo_release
      • Build Number: 8558

Post-Update Hardware Status

[*]Touchscreen (Working)

[*]GSM/GPRS (Working)

[*]WiFi (Working)

[*]Main Camera (Working)

[*]GPS (Working)

[*]Capacitive Buttons/LEDs (Working)

[*]3G/HSPA (Not tested, IMEI not provisioned)

[*]Front Camera (Not tested, does not appear as an option in the stock Camera app, nor have I tested it with any other apps)

[*]Accelerometer (Not working, but condition existed *before* 2.2 baseband and image)

Post-Update Observations

[*]The AT&T APN was pre-configured and connected to the Edge network with no user intervention.

[*]Battery life is as expected.

[*]Initial boot time after flash/Factory Reset was not exceedingly long (under 5 min).

[*]Exchange Activesync (i.e., "Corporate" account) works great. Security is enforced and remote wipe works. Email, contacts, and calendar all syncing.

[*]Market defaulted to US and appeared to function correctly. I was able to search for and re-install the few apps I normally use, except for Google Voice.

[*]GPS is a bit slow to lock compared to 1.6 (6267), but that latency started after updating to 2.1, not at 2.2.

[*]The homescreen layout isn't well optimized for landscape orientation. Shortcuts end up to small and widely spaced.

At this point, I have not tried any build.prop modifications. It's possible the answer to my few remaining issues could be solved with a tweaked build.prop.

Overall, for my purposes, this build is great on this device. I look forward to my accelerometer working at some point in the future :), but it's not critical for me, and doesn't outweigh the performance gains.

Thanks to the community for all the information, and sorry for the epic post!

Guest springah
Hey gang! Long-time parser, first-time poster here at Modaco.

Steve's 2.2 build is installed and running nicely on my US engineering sample device, so I figured I'd feedback some data for the benefit of others with similar devices. Thus far (~24 hours), I've been extremely pleased with this build on this device. Its been very stable, and UI performance is as advertised: awesome. So anyway, on to the data!

My Hardware

For reference, here's the info from the mfg labels in the battery compartment of my device.

• Streak Engineering Sample
  • Model: "Streak" (M01M)
  • HW Ver: EVT2
  • PCB ver: S02
  • Variant: AWS
  • Memory: Toshiba 4G+4G
  • FCC ID: VRSM01M002

Here's the software information on my device going into the updates.
    • Android Version: 1.6
    • Baseband Version: GAUSB1A111100-AWS
    • Build Number: 6267
      1. This is a summary, not a full, detailed, step-by-step how to.
      2. Obligatory: Backup before you do this!
      3. My accelerometer has been 100% out of commission since changing my baseband to 21
      4. My IMEI isn't fully provisioned, so I'm locked to Edge/2.5G. This is fine for me, but means I cannot comment on the functionality or performance of the 3G/HSPA radio.
      My Update Process

Step 0: I upgraded my device to 2.1 using the process outlined in Fawaad's post (#189) in this thread. Thanks Fawaad!

In my case, I flashed all 3 Eclair builds (in order: 6941, 8023, and 8105) and performed a factory reset after each to test the accelerometer. In each case, everything was as expected, except for the accelerometer. Thinking it was a baseband issue, I decided to proceed with the Froyo baseband flash + fastboot image load method exactly as prescribed in Steve's thread (the 'archived' how-to):

Step 1: Downloaded the new radio (streakflash.zip) and the Froyo image files from Steve's thread

Step 2: Used QDLTools (streakflash.zip) to flash the radio. This changed my baseband to 'AUS_100908_01_BOSS_EVT3_F-AWS'.

Step 3: Used fastboot to flash the 3 image files. I flashed in order: boot, system, userdata - no errors incurred flashing any of the 3.

Step 4: Booted once, allowed a full startup, then performed a factory reset

Step 5: Donate to Steve. Thanks Steve! :)

Post-Update Software

• Android Version: 2.2
      • Baseband Version: AUS_100908_01_BOSS_EVT3_F-AWS
      • OEM Version: AUS_100908_01_boss_evt3_froyo_release
      • Build Number: 8558

Post-Update Hardware Status

[*]Touchscreen (Working)

[*]GSM/GPRS (Working)

[*]WiFi (Working)

[*]Main Camera (Working)

[*]GPS (Working)

[*]Capacitive Buttons/LEDs (Working)

[*]3G/HSPA (Not tested, IMEI not provisioned)

[*]Front Camera (Not tested, does not appear as an option in the stock Camera app, nor have I tested it with any other apps)

[*]Accelerometer (Not working, but condition existed *before* 2.2 baseband and image)

Post-Update Observations

[*]The AT&T APN was pre-configured and connected to the Edge network with no user intervention.

[*]Battery life is as expected.

[*]Initial boot time after flash/Factory Reset was not exceedingly long (under 5 min).

[*]Exchange Activesync (i.e., "Corporate" account) works great. Security is enforced and remote wipe works. Email, contacts, and calendar all syncing.

[*]Market defaulted to US and appeared to function correctly. I was able to search for and re-install the few apps I normally use, except for Google Voice.

[*]GPS is a bit slow to lock compared to 1.6 (6267), but that latency started after updating to 2.1, not at 2.2.

[*]The homescreen layout isn't well optimized for landscape orientation. Shortcuts end up to small and widely spaced.

At this point, I have not tried any build.prop modifications. It's possible the answer to my few remaining issues could be solved with a tweaked build.prop.

Overall, for my purposes, this build is great on this device. I look forward to my accelerometer working at some point in the future :), but it's not critical for me, and doesn't outweigh the performance gains.

Thanks to the community for all the information, and sorry for the epic post!

aus? cool!

@dtech2008: Great Post, welcome.

Very clear guide, I have an issue with at least one of the links but nothing I can't find on my own.

With all of the amazing help now available I am running out of reasons to stay sitting on the fence.

• 1 month later...
the AUS is because its an engineering baseband for Austin device (austin = qisda codename for streak)

I upgraded my DELL Streak Engineering Sample to DELL official build, 11548(probably 309)

follow the instruction here. http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/11/how-to-...treak.html#more

Somehow my DELL got stuck in the boot(with DELL logo) when I upgraded to Steve's build, then I went ahead

with the DELL version.

My Engineering Sample has the following label on it, and I purchased a couple of weeks back. At that time it only Android 1.6, and it's still locked to AT&T.

Model: Streak

PCBA No: 303

HW Ver: EVT 2-3

Variant: EU

Memory: Hynix 4G + 4G

MicroSD Card: Samsung 2G.

The phone is still locked to AT&T. I was not able to get unlock code. Is there a way to unlock it ?(I would like to use T-Mobile).

Edited by lchen5

Guest tavella

I went through AT&T's online technical support chat. I had them update my IMEI and then after that was complete, I stated I was going overseas on vacation for two weeks at the end on this month and would like the ability to use prepaid SIMs. I bought my Streak from Dell at full price but I'm using my unlimited iPhone data plan (they didn't have the authority to change it to the standard smartphone unlimited but still works) so I'm not sure if that factored in. I am still under a contract because I took the iPhone 4 back in June. I guess what I'm saying is just ask them. I popped in a Verizon SIM from a Blackberry Storm2, received the request to key the unlock pasword and I'm set.

I upgraded my DELL Streak Engineering Sample to DELL official build, 11548(probably 309)

follow the instruction here. http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/11/how-to-...treak.html#more

Somehow my DELL got stuck in the boot(with DELL logo) when I upgraded to Steve's build, then I went ahead

with the DELL version.

My Engineering Sample has the following label on it, and I purchased a couple of weeks back. At that time it only Android 1.6, and it's still locked to AT&T.

Model: Streak

PCBA No: 303

HW Ver: EVT 2-3

Variant: EU

Memory: Hynix 4G + 4G

MicroSD Card: Samsung 2G.

The phone is still locked to AT&T. I was not able to get unlock code. Is there a way to unlock it ?(I would like to use T-Mobile).

Guest untrueparadox

I have an engineering sample of the streak too but it is the AT&T variant.

HW ver: PVT (verification testing stage as opposed to engineering)

Variant: US

PCB ver: A05

everything works, even the accelerometer.

Guest gypsydigi

I may have a dell engineering streak kicking around here aswell aside from my rogers one...

How do i know...

this is the info i see:

Model: M01M

Type: M01M001

My PPID ends in A00

My service tag doesn't pull up on dells website at all...

I bought this phone 6 months or more ago. when i got it there was not a single mention of the dell streak (mini5) anywhere.

Edited by gypsydigi

I went through AT&T's online technical support chat. I had them update my IMEI and then after that was complete, I stated I was going overseas on vacation for two weeks at the end on this month and would like the ability to use prepaid SIMs. I bought my Streak from Dell at full price but I'm using my unlimited iPhone data plan (they didn't have the authority to change it to the standard smartphone unlimited but still works) so I'm not sure if that factored in. I am still under a contract because I took the iPhone 4 back in June. I guess what I'm saying is just ask them. I popped in a Verizon SIM from a Blackberry Storm2, received the request to key the unlock pasword and I'm set.

Did you get unlcok code from AT&T ? or you have to wait for 3 months after changing IMEI in AT&T database ?