Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ricwales1

Oh dont know if someone has said already. The gift guide you pick up in store has a code number on the back page. enter this number online and you can get £5-15 voucher to use, handy if your picking up a vega ;o)

I predict an obsessive few days ahead for us,might set hubby up with a flask and get him to camp outside PCW :rolleyes: After all the waiting has anyone considered this could be a huge anti-climax?

Guest Bisto321
I predict an obsessive few days ahead for us,might set hubby up with a flask and get him to camp outside PCW :huh: After all the waiting has anyone considered this could be a huge anti-climax?

what could possibly go wrong :rolleyes:

I would imagine tethering will be fine. If your phone operates in infrastructure mode then all is well, if not (like my hero) you can still do it you just have to mod your wpa_suplicant.conf file. when we get one and see I (or one of the clever people) will post some instructions and links to info - not fully sure about the 'i' thing though

Edited by Bisto321

Guest space_cowboy1985

I really hope that there's no problems in getting the android market on it... The say that the archos 101 is completely open, Im sure some clever people could done some good stuff with it, has there been much info on it yet?

Guest simon.n.jonez
It certinaly does look like it, and the display is a very close match for the screen shown on the advert page, desktop apps + 3 red arrows pointing to the right

that is the vega,in portrait.look at the scroll bar on the bottom and the menu access button on the side.

I have been following this since it started and waiting patiently..

Getting excited now, though lack of 3g I guess is no biggie.

I know how to tether from my phone , but more concerned about 02 kicking off (this has been the reason never used it) - will they warn me before cutting off? :rolleyes:

Guest MarkoUK
Oh dont know if someone has said already. The gift guide you pick up in store has a code number on the back page. enter this number online and you can get £5-15 voucher to use, handy if your picking up a vega ;o)

Is it a unique number per gift guide?

Share please otherwise.

Ta.

Guest Unguided
Is it a unique number per gift guide?

Share please otherwise.

Ta.

I believe it looks like it is unique, plus it is one entry per household

From the Help on the web site

The Gift Guide number is unique and can only be used once. If the Gift Guide number printed on your Gift Guide has already been entered, a message will appear stating that the number has already been used to claim a gift.
Edited by Unguided

Guest MarkoUK
I believe it looks like it is unique, plus it is one entry per household

From the Help on the web site

Ah okay fair enough. I'll pop in and get one tomorrow then. Where were they in the store? Anywhere specific or just dotted around randomly?

Not that it'll be the same store but it means I can get in and out quickly. The wife is sending me out for shopping and essentials for our 4 day old baby so need to be sharp. Although, I'm sure she won't mind if I nip in to PCW and come back with a Vega! :rolleyes:

Well, if it's coming out on Friday, I'll volunteer to do another errand somewhere and whizz into PCW again just in case :huh:

Guest Unguided
Ah okay fair enough. I'll pop in and get one tomorrow then. Where were they in the store? Anywhere specific or just dotted around randomly?

Not that it'll be the same store but it means I can get in and out quickly. The wife is sending me out for shopping and essentials for our 4 day old baby so need to be sharp. Although, I'm sure she won't mind if I nip in to PCW and come back with a Vega! :rolleyes:

Well, if it's coming out on Friday, I'll volunteer to do another errand somewhere and whizz into PCW again just in case :huh:

The one I picked up was in a display just outside the doors, but this was a Currys.Digital, not sure where they would be in a bigger Currys store.

Also of note, in the C.D I was in they had a leaflet in place in the tablet area, it stated on there you can get the Vega for free by taking a subscription to the 3 MIFI dongle. However I noticed on the leaflet it said the in-store price of the Vega was £229, be interesting to see if they sell for £249 with the leaflet on display, can do them for false advertising :huh:

Guest Genieuk

I'm very tempted, or I'm thinking maybe I should wait 4 or 5 months and hope to get something similar to the Vega with the addition of the following:

GPS

Compass

3 axis accelerometer

Rear facing camera

(above combi will then allow augmented reality)

Android made for tablets

Higher Resolution

Don't care about 3G, can just tether to my iPhone.

for around the £300 mark.

Or am I being too optimistic.

fook, shall I just buy the Vega !!! damn indecision '@#!

Guest Unguided

IS that the Vega on the left?

Thankfully no, that does have a nice looking screen but it looks like that touchscreen has some issues, probably a prototype or very early review model otherwise that is going to be a big let down for those that buy that tablet.

Guest Bisto321

IS that the Vega on the left?

No, thank god! It is this intel atom based thingy wetab

The screen looked quite nice and the whole thing looked quite sexy - but OMG, did you see how many times he had to poke the fracking thing to get it to respond

Seriously, some of these software hardware bods need to stop buggering about with GUI's and fluff and make sure the bloody things respond each and every time.

The clue is in the name 'touch screen', not 'touch, touch, touch harder, touch again, press return cos the third touch did actually work and now you have gone too far screen'

That is why, love it or hate it, the ipad does so well - you can forget about whether it is going to respond and just get on with using it for the things you want to do.

I am sure that ipads lock up occasionally, but I bet they do it in a much slicker way :rolleyes:

Guest Bisto321

Just had an idea for a Tablet app - gonna start work on it straight away.

It’s called 'nutshocker'

it would be used something like this;

1 - Big plum shaped widget on the home screen.

2 - all user interface and touch screen devs at the company who make your tab are forced to wear those belts that give you a wallop of electricity - attached to nuts.

3 - After the screen has locked up and has started to respond again or you have reset the device - press the plum and shhhting........ Dev informed of user interface malfunction. Job done!

Could be modified for female devs (I am a modern man) Replace plum with shoe/baby/chocolate and the forfeit would be loss of shoe or handbag purchasing privileges for a month.

Do I sound bitter about the shoe/handbag thing? You should see how many of the bloody things she has got...........

Guest dragon2611
I have been following this since it started and waiting patiently..

Getting excited now, though lack of 3g I guess is no biggie.

I know how to tether from my phone , but more concerned about 02 kicking off (this has been the reason never used it) - will they warn me before cutting off? :rolleyes:

Are you on one of the old unlimited data tariffs or one of the new Limited ones?

On the new ones I don't think they care, you get your allowance and how you use it is largely upto you from what I understand (not checked the T&C's with regards to teathering)

On the old "unlimited" ones It's against the T&C's to tether the phone, although if you only use a small amount of data doing it they probably won't be bothered to do anything about it.

If you start streaming a lot of video or something that eats data then they'll probably enforce the Terms, I think they'll warn you before taking any action though.

Guest Bisto321

Can't sleep looking at lots of videos of the Vega. Is it just me or do companies normally release products to reviewers prior to launch?

I am worried that no one has had a production review unit, or am I being paranoid?

anyhoo, just noticed in the Advent demo vid that he uses a hard button at the top right of the screen to return to home (after iplayer demo). Was a bit worried about it being touch only - the hardware button is already one up on the folio.

Also, I note that he mentions that if the UI is confusing or not friendly (1min 50) they may have lots of returns - sounds like they may actually be doing it properly.

Bed now - oh no not yet just got to watch episode 3 of the walking dead - when I have a tablet again I can watch it in bed......

I'm very tempted, or I'm thinking maybe I should wait 4 or 5 months and hope to get something similar to the Vega with the addition of the following:

GPS

Compass

3 axis accelerometer

Rear facing camera

(above combi will then allow augmented reality)

Android made for tablets

Higher Resolution

Don't care about 3G, can just tether to my iPhone.

for around the £300 mark.

Or am I being too optimistic.

fook, shall I just buy the Vega !!! damn indecision '@#!

I want all that plus 3g for £125 . So I have got some waiting to do.

Guest shutdown
Been monitoring this thread a few days now. Just called PC World in Pontypridd and was told it's being released tomorrow

really?

Kevrae...where are youuuuuuu? :rolleyes: