4 pin jack converter

Guest sikhcentral

Guest sikhcentral

I have a set of bose mobile ear phones, which I didn't know it was for iphones! When I plug it into my SF the sound is quiet and if I press the mic button it is louder.

Anyone know of a converter that changes the iphone pin out to the standard TRRS pin out? All I can find is the opposite.

Or will these work as it is just the mic and ground that are swapped supposedly

Edited by sikhcentral

Guest idroid84

I have ipod earphones and it goes quiet with them too. The wierd thing is that even with stock my phone is quiet and I use it as a music device so need to make choices and fast.

I have a set of bose mobile ear phones, which I didn't know it was for iphones! When I plug it into my SF the sound is quiet and if I press the mic button it is louder.

Anyone know of a converter that changes the iphone pin out to the standard TRRS pin out? All I can find is the opposite.

Pretty sure its using the same pinout/wiring as a nokia phone which isnt compatible with iphone headsets ( i think the right channel and mic ar the wrong way round)

c

Guest clonmult
Pretty sure its using the same pinout/wiring as a nokia phone which isnt compatible with iphone headsets ( i think the right channel and mic ar the wrong way round)

c

You're right - I've used my SanFran with my old Nokia headphone/mic adapter.

Why have Apple gone and screwed with the connection though - surely the left/right/ground should always be in the same place?

Guest sikhcentral
It might be this that we need....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPHONE-HEADPHONE-3-5...=item35ab72183f

I have noticed that on the ipod earphones it's a different connection alough they are both TRRS on mine.

I bought this and just received it today!!!!!!!!!!

But it doesn't work argh!!!! makes it louder but only one channel is working argh I hate apple!!!!!!!

I might have to make one up myself!

Guest sikhcentral
Anyone got a working solution for the loudness???

I think there might besome kind of audio hack somewhere.

I ended up making my own cable which works!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest idroid84
I think there might besome kind of audio hack somewhere.

I ended up making my own cable which works!

If you made your own cable, any guides on how to make one? or buy a converter from somewhere?

It might be this that we need....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPHONE-HEADPHONE-3-5...=item35ab72183f

I have noticed that on the ipod earphones it's a different connection alough they are both TRRS on mine.

That's an iPhone to iPhone adapter that exists purely because the older iPhones had recessed jacks and regular headsets were too thick to fit into it. This adapter allows you to fit a regular headset into the recessed area.

What you want is an adapter that undoes the iphone only wiring and turns it into a more 'standardized' pin-out. (Standardized only in that previous wiring for TRS jacks going back 40 yrs used one pin-out while the iPhone has changed that up and almost all products are now iPhone only, a new standard)

This is more like what you want: http://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-354r3m-r2f.htm

Guest sikhcentral

Hey guys I got my earphones designed for iphones to work by swaping the ground and mic wires over.

The normal TRRS connectors have Tip/Ring/Ring/Sleave which translates into something like this: Left/Right/Mic/Ground.

Apple being so innovative swapped mic and ground to something like this: Right/Left/Ground/Mic.

So you can get a cable to swap the ground and mic over but the one I bought on ebay didnt work. This is because the female jack was a 3 point not 4 point. You need to make sure the converter is 4 pin male to 4 point female with the mic and ground swapped over.

The Left and Right are also swapped but at least it works....I hope this makes sence the phone is not at fault here using other 4 point jack earphones from other brands such as apple or nokia will probably not work as they use a different system not the standard one.

• 3 months later...
Guest tranceformer88
Hey guys I got my earphones designed for iphones to work by swaping the ground and mic wires over.

The normal TRRS connectors have Tip/Ring/Ring/Sleave which translates into something like this: Left/Right/Mic/Ground.

Apple being so innovative swapped mic and ground to something like this: Right/Left/Ground/Mic.

So you can get a cable to swap the ground and mic over but the one I bought on ebay didnt work. This is because the female jack was a 3 point not 4 point. You need to make sure the converter is 4 pin male to 4 point female with the mic and ground swapped over.

The Left and Right are also swapped but at least it works....I hope this makes sence the phone is not at fault here using other 4 point jack earphones from other brands such as apple or nokia will probably not work as they use a different system not the standard one.

Hi there! Did you have to modify the jack on your actual headphones or did you modify an adaptor? If so, where did you get the adaptor from? I bought an iphone adaptor which had a 4 pole jack but similar to your experience, the female socket was only 3 pole. Cheers for any info as I really would like to get my new earphones working properly! : )

i have been working on building this but im not able to find the 4pin male and female connectors in my place.

for those who have accessibility.

The connector layout is:-

from tip to the base:

For Standard Layout:

Left

Right

Mic

Ground

what apple does is:

Left

Right

Ground

Mic

Apple will not change positions of Left and Right channel at any cost since it would result innto other 3point connectors working improperly over apple devices.. I dont think apple would be that stupid

The converter will work both ways..

That is, to use apple devices with Standard headsets and to use Apple compatible headsets with standard 4point audio jack devices.

Edited by madnav

Guest oh!dougal
I have a set of bose mobile ear phones, ... for iphones! When I plug it into my SF the sound is quiet and if I press the mic button it is louder.

Anyone know of a converter that changes the iphone pin out to the standard {Blade/SanFran socket} pin out?

This adaptor plugs into the Blade/SanFran and takes an iPhone headset.

It is reported to work but it costs $17.50 http://www.kvconnection.com/ProductDetails...2F&CartID=1

reported here

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1533994

Guest tranceformer88
This adaptor plugs into the Blade/SanFran and takes an iPhone headset.

It is reported to work but it costs $17.50 http://www.kvconnection.com/ProductDetails...2F&CartID=1

reported here

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1533994

Yes, seen this cable but at $17.50 plus whatever postage is makes the adaptor more expensive than the headset that I want to use!! hence, I was looking for a cheapo solution to get me going. Sounds like I may have to strip the jack on the headphones themselves and swap the mic and ground wires over to get the headset to work correctly with the SF!!! :P Otherwise, it's buy another earphone set with no mic and plug that into the Nokia mic lead that I also have but wanted to avoid having to manage the excessive length of cable. Thanks for responding though!

Guest Phoenix Silver

it's strange when i put the sf headset in computer i hear the music but not the voices :P

no it's not a problem with the pc because my nokia headset works well

Guest Phoenix Silver

it's strange when i put the sf headset in computer i hear the music but not the voices :P

no it's not a problem with the pc because my nokia headset works well

Guest stooeygee

Hi, I recently picked up a SF and was really disappointed with the audio level from the stock phones.

I ended using power amp and bought a pair of skull candy dubs in ear phones ( selling in argos for 9.99 - Skull Candy Dubs )

I'm very happy with the results :P

• 2 months later...
Guest hugo.router

I have had the same problem. I have a specific set of earbud headphones that I use all the time. To use these with my works Blackberry I have added a sterio 3.5mm socket downstream of the microphone on the supplied headphone / microphone combination. When using this with my Blade I suffer the same symptoms as described in the previous post.

I have run some research on this site and others, and yes there are a number of different pin outs for the headphone / microphone headsets. I have found that http://pinouts.ru/ is an excellent resource.

As far as I can tell the various pin outs are:

connector = tip/ring/ring/sleave

nokia/ normal / ZTE = left/right/mic/ground

blackberry bold = right/left/ground/mic

apple = right/left/ground/mic

BB pearl = mic/left/right/ground

It is pretty easy to adapt an existing headset for your needs. you will need a soldering iron [with a fine tip], a multimeter or circuit tester and a steady hand.

For my needs where I want to use my headphones I 'acquire' a headset that has the right wiring configuration and trim off the ear buds and wire in a 3.5mm 3 pole socket. As this is only dealing with the stereo out part then it's straight forward as the wires have a signal wire and a common earth/ground and I'm not dealing with the microphone bit. I have made more difficult adaptions but these require some testing [from the multimeter or circuit tester] to ensure the routing is right. Note that the mic to ground is shorted when you press the button on the microphone. This is used by the phone as a pause, end call function.

To make your own adapter connect a 3.5mm 4 pole plug to a 3.5mm 4 pole socket using the pin outs described above. Really, the most difficult part of this is getting hold of the 3.5mm 4 pole plugs and sockets. Being careful and thoughtful are enough to complete the job and make it look good.

I hope this helps

--H

Guest ronc2000
I have had the same problem. I have a specific set of earbud headphones that I use all the time. To use these with my works Blackberry I have added a sterio 3.5mm socket downstream of the microphone on the supplied headphone / microphone combination. When using this with my Blade I suffer the same symptoms as described in the previous post.

I have run some research on this site and others, and yes there are a number of different pin outs for the headphone / microphone headsets. I have found that http://pinouts.ru/ is an excellent resource.

As far as I can tell the various pin outs are:

connector = tip/ring/ring/sleave

nokia/ normal / ZTE = left/right/mic/ground

blackberry bold = right/left/ground/mic

apple = right/left/ground/mic

BB pearl = mic/left/right/ground

It is pretty easy to adapt an existing headset for your needs. you will need a soldering iron [with a fine tip], a multimeter or circuit tester and a steady hand.

For my needs where I want to use my headphones I 'acquire' a headset that has the right wiring configuration and trim off the ear buds and wire in a 3.5mm 3 pole socket. As this is only dealing with the stereo out part then it's straight forward as the wires have a signal wire and a common earth/ground and I'm not dealing with the microphone bit. I have made more difficult adaptions but these require some testing [from the multimeter or circuit tester] to ensure the routing is right. Note that the mic to ground is shorted when you press the button on the microphone. This is used by the phone as a pause, end call function.

To make your own adapter connect a 3.5mm 4 pole plug to a 3.5mm 4 pole socket using the pin outs described above. Really, the most difficult part of this is getting hold of the 3.5mm 4 pole plugs and sockets. Being careful and thoughtful are enough to complete the job and make it look good.

I hope this helps

--H

You should be able to find one on ebay for Nokia phone.

If you want to be safe, search for "san francisco headset adapter".

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MatR

My problem with the desire HD is that my Sennheiser CX 300-II only has sound from the right earphone. At first the left was quiet now it has turned into noise (I think this might be a problem after the 2.3 update). My headphones have a 3 pole plug. When using headphones with a 4 pole plug they work just fine. Someone said earlier that the iphone adapter has a 3 pole female jack and a 4 pole male connection. Will this fix my problem?

thanks in advance for help

• 6 years later...
Guest meshmesha

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة رواد الرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض  تقدم لكل عملائها الكرام أقوى

الخدمات في مجال
الكشف عن تسربات المياه  بدون تكسير لذا فإذا كنت تعاني من

مشكلات عديدة بسبب تسرب المياه من الخارج إلى داخل منزلك وهذا ما يشوه الشكل

الخارجي للمبنى هذا بالإضافة إلى الروائح الكريهة التي تزعجك فعليك الاتصال بشركة

كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض شركة رواد الرياض بدون تفكير وستجد لديها المزيد من

الحلول المبتكرة والتي تكفيك تماما عن اللجوء إلى أي حل تقليدي مؤقت لمشكلة تسرب