Why does samsung give better reception than Acer Liquid?

Guest peterx666

Guest peterx666

I am on vodaphone with my Acer liquid 1.6 in the north of england - in the house most of the time I have no reception and cannot make calls or send SMS - in odd places sometimes I get one bar then it goes again

Complained to Vodaphone .... they looked up my area....... said the reception was "patchy" and that they would report my complaint to the technical people

Recently converted my partners Samsung onto Asda mobile (which uses Vodaphone) and all over the house she gets all the bars lit up and can make calls etc

My question is ......... is Samsung better than Acer regarding reception

If so how can we improve it?

Pete

:)

Guest Master_T
I am on vodaphone with my Acer liquid 1.6 in the north of england - in the house most of the time I have no reception and cannot make calls or send SMS - in odd places sometimes I get one bar then it goes again

Complained to Vodaphone .... they looked up my area....... said the reception was "patchy" and that they would report my complaint to the technical people

Recently converted my partners Samsung onto Asda mobile (which uses Vodaphone) and all over the house she gets all the bars lit up and can make calls etc

My question is ......... is Samsung better than Acer regarding reception

If so how can we improve it?

Pete

Well, of course different phones will have different reception, depending on the model, positioning and isolation of the antenna. The first thing I'd try however, before anything else, is to put your partner's sim into your liquid (or vice-versa, put yours into the samsung), just to make sure it isn't just the different company (even if they rely on the same network, you never know).

Guest thedicemaster

first you should start with updating to the latest rom, so you have the latest radio software.

rom version can matter a lot(note: this only counts for official roms, custom roms tend to use the radio software of the last installed official rom)

my experience though is that the acer liquid has either good reception(latest rom) or the HTC diamond has horribly bad reception on older roms.

Guest Morris Lee

Me and my bro is on the same carrier, but he is got the galaxy, I get better reception than he does even in the elevator, I am using LCR F. Update your baseband maybe?

Morris Lee

You're still on 1.6, so you have an old baseband. Flash one of the new bins. I recommend going for the froyo leak, as they have the latest bin and are very stable. I also get a very good reception on my phone, even in the elevators.

And my bro also has a galaxy s!!! :)

Guest thenext1

For sure, the liquid's (2.100.07) signal bars are fake, for in some places even with 3 bars of Umts reception I can't place calls, and in most places the data connection is horribly slow with 2 bars and the phone gets hot while "shouting" at the cell tower.

Edit: btw i was sitting next to a friend also having a stock 1.6 liquid onn the same network, and it shows only one bar compared to 3 bars of mine.

Edited by thenext1

Guest Morris Lee
You're still on 1.6, so you have an old baseband. Flash one of the new bins. I recommend going for the froyo leak, as they have the latest bin and are very stable. I also get a very good reception on my phone, even in the elevators.

And my bro also has a galaxy s!!! :)

Cool!! What a coincidence! HAHA, but your quadrant is 650 and linpack bing at 29, mine is actually 690ish and 26, weird....??

@thenext1,

I get really good reception as no dropped call except 2 of my friends, one using an X10, which already has lots of reports of drop calls already and the other had an iPhone 4(and you know why...) which I have played with from time to time, even the text doesn't go through and need to be resent, therefore, I say the liquid is not the problem.

Morris Lee

Guest Morris Lee
Compared with the baseband in one of the very first froyo leaks, I got -78 dB signal, vs -88 dB on my friends Galaxy S.

I just did a comparason with my bro's galaxy, yes, that is true, liquid has better signal! but the touchscreen on the galaxy is still superior to the liquid's touch screen :), I still can't get a every-now-and-then random touches if I use lower than 75/75...

Morris Lee

Guest thenext1
I just did a comparason with my bro's galaxy, yes, that is true, liquid has better signal! but the touchscreen on the galaxy is still superior to the liquid's touch screen :), I still can't get a every-now-and-then random touches if I use lower than 75/75...

Morris Lee

The galaxy's touchscreen and surface is clearly superior being able to track 5 fingers free of inversion issues. Not only that: the plastic surface is much better being more slippery, on th Liquid i find it hard to swipe a finger if not perfectly dry. You get what you pay for, face it.

As for the signal, i just said Eclair rom for the liquid has faked signal reporting. You just can't gain 10dB of signal strength (that's a lot, taking into account the logarithmic nature of the dB) upgrading a firmware. You did not change the antenna of the phone. You flashed a new firmware to it. The firmware is responsible for reporting a higher signal level than it really is.

My friend with the 1.6 liquid did all I could do, but our signal barse were reporting respectively 1 vs. 3 signal bars. How is that normal?

I'll open a new topic for this.

Guest peterx666
Well, of course different phones will have different reception, depending on the model, positioning and isolation of the antenna. The first thing I'd try however, before anything else, is to put your partner's sim into your liquid (or vice-versa, put yours into the samsung), just to make sure it isn't just the different company (even if they rely on the same network, you never know).

Yes I am about to do that I now have an ASDA card of my own and will try that to see if it makes any difference

Watch this space!

Pete

Guest peterx666
first you should start with updating to the latest rom, so you have the latest radio software.

rom version can matter a lot(note: this only counts for official roms, custom roms tend to use the radio software of the last installed official rom)

my experience though is that the acer liquid has either good reception(latest rom) or the HTC diamond has horribly bad reception on older roms.

but somebody (above) says that the ROM wont make any difference as I will still have the same antenna?

Pete

Guest Delnar_Ersike
but somebody (above) says that the ROM wont make any difference as I will still have the same antenna?

Pete

That is sort of true. Reception is usually based on the firmware installed on the device, also known as the baseband when talking about antennae firmware. Usually, different basebands will offer slight or moderate differences in reception, as not all changes between versions are drastic. In some cases, the hit on battery power is more noticeable than the improvement in reception. So even if you have the same cellular antenna, upgrading or downgrading to different basebands will probably change your reception. However, since ROMs do not affect the firmware of the device, you'll have flash a .bin to change the baseband.

Edited by Delnar_Ersike

Guest peterx666

Pete

Just tried my phone with the ASDA sim card - it seems to make little difference - still no service in the house - Mobile phone useless

It must be the Acer Liquid that is the problem then ......... just a crap phone?

Pete :)

Guest TheShak
Just tried my phone with the ASDA sim card - it seems to make little difference - still no service in the house - Mobile phone useless

It must be the Acer Liquid that is the problem then ......... just a crap phone?

Pete :)

Sounds like a 1.6 early rev software prob. When I had donut on this Acer I had poor reception and crap battery... Eclair was much better, and the Frozen Yog is excellent.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S and theres not much between them now i'm using 2.2 on Acer and 2.1 on Samsung.

Me thinks you really need to update to 2.2 otherwise you are flogging a dead horse!

Cheers

Edited by TheShak

Guest peterx666
Sounds like a 1.6 early rev software prob. When I had donut on this Acer I had poor reception and crap battery... Eclair was much better, and the Frozen Yog is excellent.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S and theres not much between them now i'm using 2.2 on Acer and 2.1 on Samsung.

Me thinks you really need to update to 2.2 otherwise you are flogging a dead horse!

Cheers

will have a word with Acer as to what I can do safely without losing my warantty

Thanks for that 2.2 you say.... is that the latest from Acer?

Will let you know what they say

Pete

:P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peterx666
will have a word with Acer as to what I can do safely without losing my warantty

Thanks for that 2.2 you say.... is that the latest from Acer?

Will let you know what they say

Pete

Cant find the detail as to how to contact acer technical in the uk?

Anybody any ideas? phone number or email add?

Pete

Guest skitbra8934
Cant find the detail as to how to contact acer technical in the uk?

Anybody any ideas? phone number or email add?

Pete

RTFM wich means read all replies in this thread again.

then go and d/l latest leaked rom and flash that then check reception again.