A-GPS?

Guest Carbonize

Guest Carbonize

I was playing with the GPS settings and noticed that there is no A-GPS option in the GPS settings. Does this mean the phone doesn't support A-GPS or has something got messed up when I re-installed 2.1 last time.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
I was playing with the GPS settings and noticed that there is no A-GPS option in the GPS settings. Does this mean the phone doesn't support A-GPS or has something got messed up when I re-installed 2.1 last time.

A-GPS is just GPS used in conjunction with a data connection(mobile network), on this phone.

Speeds up the satellite information grab.

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest Carbonize
"Standalone" or "Autonomous" GPS operation use radio signals from satellites alone. A-GPS additionally uses network resources to locate and utilize the satellites faster as well as better in poor signal conditions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

A-GPS is where the phone downloads a file that tells it where the satellites should be thereby speeding up location acquisition.

It can supply orbital data or almanac for the GPS satellites to the GPS receiver, enabling the GPS receiver to lock to the satellites more rapidly in some cases.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Was looking for a picture to show the setting I mean but all show exactly what I see. On my partners Orange SF there is a setting to enable or disable A-GPS but on mine there is not. this is what I see.

Yeah, same here, on both 1.6 and 2.1

Always just thought it gimped itself along using the data connection, alongside GPS on the GT540, as there is no option like other phones

I would guess it doesn't have it...

I'm using the SF myself at the moment and wouldnt go back to the GT540 for love nor money.

The GT540 is an inferior phone in every way apart from the camera in low light, but thats what 14mp pocket snappers are for.

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest Carbonize

I actually cocked up. I was looking at the GT540 to buy on Pay & Go as it was cheap but my missus said to check if my contract could be upgraded so I did and then got the GT540 without thinking. I seriously should of stopped to think and got a Desire :|

As to my phone I think my last reinstall of 2.1 cocked something up. I can open a GPS test and have it get a lock (eventually) and narrow it down to 10ft but then if I close the app and open another GPS using app it goes back to a cold start. Seems to be not storing the satellite positions like it should. Maybe I need to reinstall again.

Guest max-greece
I actually cocked up. I was looking at the GT540 to buy on Pay & Go as it was cheap but my missus said to check if my contract could be upgraded so I did and then got the GT540 without thinking. I seriously should of stopped to think and got a Desire :|

As to my phone I think my last reinstall of 2.1 cocked something up. I can open a GPS test and have it get a lock (eventually) and narrow it down to 10ft but then if I close the app and open another GPS using app it goes back to a cold start. Seems to be not storing the satellite positions like it should. Maybe I need to reinstall again.

The phone does support agps. Go into settings, location and security and click on " use wireless network" under my k location - from memory.

this should really reduce the time taken to get a GPS lock dramatically.

Guest Carbonize

Use Wireless Network basically makes it get your current location based upon the cell tower you are connected to and does not affect the GPS. This is what is referred to as a coarse location and is adequate for weather apps or just getting your city.

I'm 90% sure it does A-GPS, certainly it's a feature of the chipset, and the acquisition time is really too fast from a cold start to be standalone. It utterly thrashes a Bluetooth GPS with SiRFstar III that I've have.

Guest Carbonize

As I said I think something must of gone wrong either when I reinstalled 2.1 or when I was removing some of the undesired apps such as the test apps.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
As I said I think something must of gone wrong either when I reinstalled 2.1 or when I was removing some of the undesired apps such as the test apps.

From your link to your pic earlier...that's it..thats what it says on mine when it was on 1.6 and 2.1.

if yours shows whats on your pic, then its normal.

Guest Carbonize

Yeah the settings are fine but my GPS is fubared as it's taking it a very very long time to get a lock and then just as long to narrow down the error. It's also losing the satellite positions as soon as I leave the app I am using. In the past I could open GPS Test and once it had a lock and had narrowed it down I could close the app and open something else requiring GPS and it would have a lock on almost instantly but now as soon as I open a new app it seems to be going from a cold start.

Yeah, same here, on both 1.6 and 2.1

Always just thought it gimped itself along using the data connection, alongside GPS on the GT540, as there is no option like other phones

I would guess it doesn't have it...

I'm using the SF myself at the moment and wouldnt go back to the GT540 for love nor money.

The GT540 is an inferior phone in every way apart from the camera in low light, but thats what 14mp pocket snappers are for.

i WOULD SUGGEST KEEPING YOUR INFERIOR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF, WHEN U GO ONTO SOMEONE ELSE'S FORUMS/

second i have had over 200 phones, and the gt-540 is one of the best i have ever used! now if u take into consideration

the value factor it is the best bang for your buck period! i am sorry i do nto know what is sf but i am thinking it is Samsung something?

what i wonder most, if u hate the gt540 so much why are u on these forums?......

Guest max-greece

OK I am a bit mystified by all of this as I thought the setting I suggested was for AGPS.

Try this instead then. Download GPS Status from the market and run it. It is basically a compass with a whole load of additional information and controls - including the settings for AGPS.

When I open mine the first thing it says is: "AGPS data refreshed," if I have not run it for more than 24 hours. Actually that is a setting for the software - you can specify a variety of durations to hold the AGPS data for. First lock takes a while (140 - 280 seconds) from a freshly booted phone but getting a lock thereafter in other software packages (eg. MAPS) takes seconds (4 to 10).

It appears that both I and the software think the GT540 has AGPS.

Guest Carbonize
How do I access the hidden GPS menu?

Open the phone dialler and enter the code 3845#*540# then look for GPS.

i WOULD SUGGEST KEEPING YOUR INFERIOR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF, WHEN U GO ONTO SOMEONE ELSE'S FORUMS/

second i have had over 200 phones, and the gt-540 is one of the best i have ever used! now if u take into consideration

the value factor it is the best bang for your buck period! i am sorry i do nto know what is sf but i am thinking it is Samsung something?

what i wonder most, if u hate the gt540 so much why are u on these forums?......

And I would suggest you keep from insulting other forum members without doing your research first. The SF is the Orange San Francisco also known as the ZTE Blade. Here in the UK it is available for the exact same price as the GT540 but comes with a 3.5" WVGA (800x480) OLED capacative touchscreen, Android 2.1 Eclair and a 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus. You can read more in Paul's review of the San Francisco.

OK I am a bit mystified by all of this as I thought the setting I suggested was for AGPS.

Try this instead then. Download GPS Status from the market and run it. It is basically a compass with a whole load of additional information and controls - including the settings for AGPS.

When I open mine the first thing it says is: "AGPS data refreshed," if I have not run it for more than 24 hours. Actually that is a setting for the software - you can specify a variety of durations to hold the AGPS data for. First lock takes a while (140 - 280 seconds) from a freshly booted phone but getting a lock thereafter in other software packages (eg. MAPS) takes seconds (4 to 10).

It appears that both I and the software think the GT540 has AGPS.

Yes I am using GPS Status as well as GPS Test. I'm clearing the downloaded A-GPS data using GPS Status and then seeing how long it takes to get the initial lock on and it's at about 5 minutes so far and has only found four satellites. It took it over a minute just to find the first one.

I seriously think I borked something and will need to reflash the firmware.

Edited by Carbonize

Guest max-greece
Open the phone dialler and enter the code 3845#*540# then look for GPS.

And I would suggest you keep from insulting other forum members without doing your research first. The SF is the Orange San Francisco also known as the ZTE Blade. Here in the UK it is available for the exact same price as the GT540 but comes with a 3.5" WVGA (800x480) OLED capacative touchscreen, Android 2.1 Eclair and a 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus. You can read more in Paul's review of the San Francisco.

Yes I am using GPS Status as well as GPS Test. I'm clearing the downloaded A-GPS data using GPS Status and then seeing how long it takes to get the initial lock on and it's at about 5 minutes so far and has only found four satellites. It took it over a minute just to find the first one.

I seriously think I borked something and will need to reflash the firmware.

Yup - sounds like you have somewhere along the line. Of course where you are makes a difference. I find 8-10 sats with the first ones coming in almost instantly. I usually get to 6 quite quickly and then it takes a while to pick up the others.

What happens if you turn off the AGPS? I do wonder if the phone gets AGPS info that there are, say, 8 sats in range that it takes more time trying to find the last ones than it would if it were hunting on its own.

As for the ZTE blade - I just read the review and it looks to be amazing. I don't really mind that as it was not (and maybe still is not) available in the market when I bought my phone. I'd like to see it side by side with the GT540. One of the things I like about ours is the size - its perfect for me. I struggle to understand people who carry around some of these enormous phones you see today. A friend has the big HTC with the 4.3 inch screen. Its certainly impressive - but damn that's a big thing to carry around all day. Horses for courses I suppose.

Guest Carbonize

I had this argument when I first got my GT540. My previous phone is the LG Arena which has 3 inch 480 x 800 capactitive touchscreen with multi touch and proximity sensor. It also had 5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, Schneider-Kreuznach optics, autofocus, LED flash and it's video recording support was 720x480@30fps, VGA@30fps, QVGA time-lapse and slow-mo video recording. Now given that phone came out a year before the GT540 you'd think the parts would of been cheap enough to put in the GT540. I mean how much more would it have added to the price if they had just added a capacitive screen?

As to my problem I may reflash later or be really stupid and take out a second contract just so I can have a HTC Desire.

Guest max-greece
I had this argument when I first got my GT540. My previous phone is the LG Arena which has 3 inch 480 x 800 capactitive touchscreen with multi touch and proximity sensor. It also had 5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, Schneider-Kreuznach optics, autofocus, LED flash and it's video recording support was 720x480@30fps, VGA@30fps, QVGA time-lapse and slow-mo video recording. Now given that phone came out a year before the GT540 you'd think the parts would of been cheap enough to put in the GT540. I mean how much more would it have added to the price if they had just added a capacitive screen?

As to my problem I may reflash later or be really stupid and take out a second contract just so I can have a HTC Desire.

Bloody hell. Why did you change it?

On the other hand I am not so sure how important the hardware really is beyond a certain point - for me its what the software can do for me that is important and as long as the hardware doesn't get in the way of that I am fine with that. In our case the 540 does that for me and that is allI need.

Edited by max-greece

Guest Carbonize

I changed it because the Arena runs LGs own OS and it's web browser is rubbish. Also, as a runner, I wanted to make use of the run tracker apps available.

Guest ASY9650

His comments are not inferior, they are fairly valid, in fact your comment is inferior to his.

As he pointed out..do your research...for someone who has had more than 200 phones...

You should be pretty clued up right? Obviously not. It may have been one of the best you have used,

However, in todays world let's not lie, it isn't. And as for the value factor... I do believe they are some better alternatives out there...

Edited by ASY9650