Hi, Android N00B seeking guidance!

Guest Dave-M

Hi,

I'm new to the whole Android thing and have just bought the Orange San Francisco and so far it seems pretty good, but there are a few things I'd like to do, so I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction, I have searched for these things, and I have found the answers to many things already, but the sheer volume of posts and information on here is a little overwhelming.

First of all, I'm using the stock Orange ROM, the phone is unlocked and working great with a T-Mobile £10 SIM contract (3GB data).

First issue I'm having is that when buying paid apps from the market, the downloads screen just shows the app as "authorising...." and "starting download" and that's where is stays. I was searching for this a lot last night, and there are several threads on Google forums going back over a year with no 100% fix. Initially, the same thing was happening with free apps too, it just said "downloading", so I did a hard reset and changed the log in email for the market to gmail.com from googlemail.com and that fixed the free apps thing, but the paid for apps thing is now broke.

I've tried connecting via wifi and 3G, also removing the SD card, using the original Orange SIM, remiving the googletalk app at star tup, powering off and on the handset. Pretty much everything I've found, I've tried and failed!

There's thousands of apps out there, and I'm guessing that not everyone has these issues? So what's different on my set up and the other people's set ups that also have the same problems?

Next, is there a way to save all your settings so that when you do a factory reset, you can load the settings of your choice back up instead of entering everything manually?

Finally, is there a guide on how to root and then flash to your custom roms from Win 7 x64 please? I have to say that Linux scares me :)

Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks for this great resource :)

Dave.

OK, done the rooting and the update to r3 rom, found the relavant guides on here thanks :)

Sadly the android market is still borked! I'll try another factory reset and see if that sorts it.

Edited by Dave-M

OK, done the rooting and the update to r3 rom, found the relavant guides on here thanks :)

Sadly the android market is still borked! I'll try another factory reset and see if that sorts it.

Just to update this if anyone cares, seems not, but here goes.

The market issue seems to have fixed itself, I checked the phone this morning and it had downloaded.

The not so great news is that I'm getting a lot of force closes since flashing to the r3 rom, I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but even things like task manager/resource won't load, it gives a "the application task manager (process zte.com.cn.taskmanager) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again." So I try again and the same thing happens, Tried restarting the phone several times, but no luck. I'm also getting quite heavy slowdowns when doing nothing more than navigating the phone menus. I grabbed quick task killer and killed everything, but it still seems to randomly slow down. My next stop was to check the resources, but as I say, it won't let me in.

Might anyone have any idea about this please?