GPS/Navigation issues

Guest unfitguy

Guest unfitguy

Hi All

I'm torn at the moment if I should replace my SGS with a Motorola Milestone (about the same trade in value at CEX).

The reason being I have always used my android phones for Navigation in the past without any issues (HTC Magic and a Nexus One) however the Google Navigation on my SGS jumps all over the place lagging way behind where I am and putting me on the wrong road the majority of the time.

I have tried the majority of ROMs including the latest JPM froyo, XDA Roms GPSfixes and all sorts but to no joy. I'm not a Samsung basher as love the phone other than this floor, has anyone experienced or fixed the same issue.

This is how mine seems to perform although not my vid http://bit.ly/brunG4

Guest SpruceyB
Hi All

I'm torn at the moment if I should replace my SGS with a Motorola Milestone (about the same trade in value at CEX).

The reason being I have always used my android phones for Navigation in the past without any issues (HTC Magic and a Nexus One) however the Google Navigation on my SGS jumps all over the place lagging way behind where I am and putting me on the wrong road the majority of the time.

I have tried the majority of ROMs including the latest JPM froyo, XDA Roms GPSfixes and all sorts but to no joy. I'm not a Samsung basher as love the phone other than this floor, has anyone experienced or fixed the same issue.

This is how mine seems to perform although not my vid http://bit.ly/brunG4

The Milestone is lovely, my girlfriend got one and it's pretty fast (overclocked) the processor inside is extremely capable. The hardware is beautiful too.

I've been using Motonav on JPK and JPM and it performed okay, but the Milestone performs perfectly using CoPilot Live.

Milestone also has a much better Camera (with LED Flash that you can use as a Torch).

I'm going to wait and see if CM6 comes now that Samsung have released the official 2.2 Source. If things dont get better with this phone though I will be tempted to swap to the Milestone too and put a Custom ROM on there.

Guest unfitguy
The Milestone is lovely, my girlfriend got one and it's pretty fast (overclocked) the processor inside is extremely capable. The hardware is beautiful too.

I've been using Motonav on JPK and JPM and it performed okay, but the Milestone performs perfectly using CoPilot Live.

Milestone also has a much better Camera (with LED Flash that you can use as a Torch).

I'm going to wait and see if CM6 comes now that Samsung have released the official 2.2 Source. If things dont get better with this phone though I will be tempted to swap to the Milestone too and put a Custom ROM on there.

Thanks looked at a video of froyo 2.2.1 running overclocked at 1ghz honestly looked better than the SGS, going to give it a few weeks. A lot of people seem to be waiting for the official froyo, however if they dont fix the GPS I can see them getting a lot of bad press. Just looking at SamsungUkMobile on twitter and Facebook shows you how many people are disappointed.

Thanks for the update.

Guest SpruceyB
Thanks looked at a video of froyo 2.2.1 running overclocked at 1ghz honestly looked better than the SGS, going to give it a few weeks. A lot of people seem to be waiting for the official froyo, however if they dont fix the GPS I can see them getting a lot of bad press. Just looking at SamsungUkMobile on twitter and Facebook shows you how many people are disappointed.

Thanks for the update.

The only thing I can say I like about my SGS more is it'll playback any video I put on it (which is good for when I'm on the bus).

The graphics on the SGS murder the Milestone but thats wasted on me as the only games I really play are Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds.

I tested the GPS on Tayutama (based on the official FroYo) and it still seems janked, it had me on the correct road but was a bit behind where it should have been, after going right at an island the GPS still showed me before it. The movement wasnt fluid either. Seems GPS is a lost cause on the Galaxy S.

My girlfriend has EclairMOD v0.3 running on her Milestone and it's very fast and very stable

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=772031

If you want me to do any comparisons of specific items of the 2 phones let me know and I'll post the results.

Guest unfitguy

Thank you. Still looking at diff options now looking at an HD2 with an Android Rom on. I just wish Samsung would fix it one of the XDA pages discussing this issues has had 173,000+ page views and 1900 comments so I know I'm certainly not alone.

The biggest certainty is if I sell my SGS a proper fix will be out shortly afterwards lol decisions decisions

Guest SpruceyB
Thank you. Still looking at diff options now looking at an HD2 with an Android Rom on. I just wish Samsung would fix it one of the XDA pages discussing this issues has had 173,000+ page views and 1900 comments so I know I'm certainly not alone.

The biggest certainty is if I sell my SGS a proper fix will be out shortly afterwards lol decisions decisions

Yeah, HD2 is nice, I'm keeping my eye on a thread about someone getting Windows Phone 7 on the HD2, if that happens, thats my next phone.

I had to use the Milestone on several occasions today where the SGS just wouldn't perform. I'm more and more tempted to switch myself.