Road SMS? send messages while walking safely

Guest RAT-BoyZ

Guest RAT-BoyZ

We’ve a soft spot for augmented reality (AR) apps and a dislike of walking into lampposts, so Samsung’s new Road SMS app for the LG Optimus GT540 satisfies both our hunger for gimmicks and personal safety. Available exclusively through the Samsung Apps download store on the LG Optimus GT540 – and, we’re guessing, on the Vibrant, Captivate and any other LG Optimus GT540 variant the company pushes out – the Road SMS app basically overlays a QWERTY keyboard on top of a live view from the phone’s camera.

That means you can strut along the street, texting away to your hearts content, while simultaneously keeping an eye out for open manhole covers, angry dogs or stray celebrities. Unfortunately the app itself is pretty basic: all you have is a keyboard, a shortcut to choose the message recipient and a character counter (which seems to want to limit messages to 80 rather than the more usual 160 characters); there’s no way to browse incoming messages or indeed take a photo for an MMS.

Still, as a free gimmick it’s pretty neat, and we imagine someone will soon rip it from the Samsung ROM and offer it on other custom installs for rival handsets. Full demo in the video below.

samsung_road_sms_galaxy_s0-540x336.jpg

Re-write :

mohicanrat

source :

androidcommunity[dot]com/samsung-road-sms-for-galaxy-s-hands-on-video-20100715/

RoadSMS_1.0.zip

Edited by RAT-BoyZ

Guest RAT-BoyZ
It looks like a great idea but would I be right in thinking this won't work with something like SwiftKey?

yes, this program like a handysms or other sms program. but this program have a keyboard type. not using a keyboard default on your handphone.

yes, this program like a handysms or other sms program. but this program have a keyboard type. not using a keyboard default on your handphone.

Nice looking app! but either i am doing something wrong or the L and P are missing.

is it only me?

Guest RAT-BoyZ
Nice looking app! but either i am doing something wrong or the L and P are missing.

is it only me?

ooo no.

i lost this case.

hehehe.. because this program have a LCD specification. may be must be 3.5" LCD is better.

LOL

Guest gstar101

Well it installs and runs, clicking to get a contact and it adds them but wheres the back/del button? I started typing a message and couldn't undo it...even after closing the app when I restart it I'm presented with my last typed set of word's.... :P

Other wise, I like the concept.... all we need now is a slightly smaller version of the app n it'd be a keeper.

Edited by gstar101