Battery life on CM6 - how bad?

Guest tom_s

forum member totiadrenalin says the reason some (all?) on CM6 experience poor battery life is because the phone is trying to exchange data all the time and GPS is hard to kill:

'When you open some applications that use the gps, then it turns on the GPS but it'll never turn of until the next reboot.

And the GPS is already known as one of the biggest battery consumer in the smartphones.

Second it's the gtalk, gmail, and other applications which need a 3g or wifi connection.

They make a data transfer all of the time while the phone is on.

And if you disable the data connection they will try to connect all of the time.' http://android.modaco.com/content-page/319...pulse/page/680/ post number 697.

anyone got any tips for dealing with this problem?

Guest Sh4d0w940

The GPS doesn't stay on all the time, it just shows the icon.

The battery doesn't get drained when gps is off, you can check this in the settings or with the energy control widget.

And the applications don't use the 3g connection very often but if you prefer battery life just enable the '2g only' option.

Also don't set the screen brightness too high.

Another tip is to put wifi to stay on all the time, this might sound weird but it does in fact save power if you stay connected.

Wifi uses alot of power to turn on/off but if you keep it on and connected it uses less power than having 3g on all the time.

Sh4d0w940

Guest starkos
Sh4d0w940, how does your battery life compare to android 2.1?

With identical usage/settings I find that battery life is about the same as eclair. I've noticed that after a fresh install it can take a couple of battery cycles before it starts reading properly. Wiping battery stats in recovery after a long charge usually helps too...

Guest Sh4d0w940
Sh4d0w940, how does your battery life compare to android 2.1?

I only used the beta a bit, and went back to 1.5 due to the sms bug so I can't compare it very well.

Also my phone is usually connected to my pc when I'm not at school.

But if I don't charge it it'll last about 2-3 days with normal usage.

And my phone is not overclocked.

Sh4d0w940

I only used the beta a bit, and went back to 1.5 due to the sms bug so I can't compare it very well.

Sh4d0w940

Was you still getting the SMS bug on 2.1 with swap?

Guest Sh4d0w940
Would swap kill my SD card?

Class 6

4GB

In a while, swap increases usage so the sd card will wear more.

As with all flash memory it has limited write operations.

Sh4d0w940

Guest add.thebad

personally i found my battery lasted alot longer on 2.2 than on flb with more usage and i also have a massive performance increase i have no problems

I do think there is something wrong with this rom that can kill the battery quickly, but it is inconsistent, meaning that it only happens some times.

I've had the phone sitting there doing nothing and it is cool to the touch and the battery is clearly not draining. But there are times when it has just been sitting there, supposedly doing nothing, and I pick it up and it is hot to the touch and the battery has dropped seriously in a short period of time. That happen yesterday when the battery dropped from about 85% to 25% in about three hours without me doing anything I am aware of to cause that. I'd like to say that I know what all was different, but I don't. I do know that I am going to pay a lot more attention to this issue now that I've noticed it wasn't just a one-off.

Another problem has been the wifi connection. It will disconnect automatically when the screen goes off, but it will not reconnect automatically after I turn the phone back on. Wifi Status just sits there showing it hasn't reconnected. I have to go into setup to manually reconnect it. Is this how this rom is supposed to work?

Can anyone tell me if CM6 0.30 makes the OS feel more fluid and fast than FLB 1.7? Right now the phone is.... stubborn to say at best. Sometimes it goes very fast and well, but many other times it starts freezing, slowing down, throwing error messages, etc. FLB 1.7 is nice, but it is far from being a consistent experience. 3 out of 10 times, I can't get my phone to do what I want as fast as I should.

Does the CM6 improve things? The only reason I haven't tried yet is because I dislike updating the OS/ROM on every ocassion that a new version is out, and I was sort of waiting for the next CM6 beta to jump on the bandwagon.. but if user experience is positive, I might do an early update.

Can anyone tell me if CM6 0.30 makes the OS feel more fluid and fast than FLB 1.7? Right now the phone is.... stubborn to say at best. Sometimes it goes very fast and well, but many other times it starts freezing, slowing down, throwing error messages, etc. FLB 1.7 is nice, but it is far from being a consistent experience. 3 out of 10 times, I can't get my phone to do what I want as fast as I should.

Does the CM6 improve things? The only reason I haven't tried yet is because I dislike updating the OS/ROM on every ocassion that a new version is out, and I was sort of waiting for the next CM6 beta to jump on the bandwagon.. but if user experience is positive, I might do an early update.

I never used either the FLB releases or the official eclair roms much, but CM6 is very quick. Quicker than the aosp froyo roms. If you try to do a lot at once it can slow down a bit, but not as bad as my X10 (which technically should be much better) and what do you expect from a cheap phone.

Back when I was using my pulse a bit with cm6 0.20 I had some erratic battery life. I haven't been using the pulse since 0.30 was released, but it has been sitting on my desk powered on for the last 3 days and still has 57% battery left which is very good. It even has bluetooth turned on which should be using a bit.

So if you dont touch it the battery is ok.

Using an overclocked kernel will effect battery and using swap probably will as well. I would expect compache to have less impact than swap (writing to sd takes power).

Edited by Tom G