Couple questions about CM6.

Guest TGWS

I installed CM6 0.30Beta last night, so ive been playing round with it a little and these things are annoying me.

My phone is so slow, and when i use ATK ( Advanced Task Killer ) I only have around 17 - 25MB Free, On FLB 1.7 i had around 25-30MB Free all the time.

1) Phone is very slow

2) Random apps keep opening according to ATK

3) I know the Messaging app is kept in memory now in CM6, but i would like to know, if i could keep Handcent in memory instead, becuase i hate the default messaging app.

4) Can i enable Swap with this Rom?

*Edit* - 5) Battery wont charge past 43%. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Tom.

Edited by TGWS

1 & 2 -

Not sure task killers are desirable or reliable - especially on froyo. The reporting may be borked, and apps may appear to startup randomly - (I've seen suggestions that it's possibly connected to JIT - if you have that enabled.)

Try removing ATK and rebooting.

1 & 2 -

Not sure task killers are desirable or reliable - especially on froyo. The reporting may be borked, and apps may appear to startup randomly - (I've seen suggestions that it's possibly connected to JIT - if you have that enabled.)

Try removing ATK and rebooting.

I need a task killer otherwise apps will just stay on and take up memory.

Well i dont think i enabled JIT

I need a task killer otherwise apps will just stay on and take up memory.

Well i dont think i enabled JIT

It might not be JIT related (that's just something I read somewhere which may be wrong), but I have heard that apps show up as restarting all the time in task killers in froyo.

Android does a pretty good job of managing memory without task killers - if it needs more memory it kills tasks to reclaim it. Also, in froyo, the manage applications menu in settings allows you to manually kill applications if you really need to.

The official line is something like that apps taking up memory in android is generally considered a good thing to speed up re-launching them. Empty memory is doing nothing. On properly configured ROMs this seems to hold well.

I was guessing that the slowness you're seeing might be due to you killing tasks and causing them to be relaunched. Without using a task killer I've had no memory problems so far, and it seems faster than all other ROMs I've tried

The pulse is ludicrously crippled with low memory though, so maybe tweaks will be needed in some circumstances.

Edited by Stevos

It might not be JIT related (that's just something I read somewhere which may be wrong), but I have heard that apps show up as restarting all the time in task killers in froyo.

Android does a pretty good job of managing memory without task killers - if it needs more memory it kills tasks to reclaim it. Also, in froyo, the manage applications menu in settings allows you to manually kill applications if you really need to.

The official line is something like that apps taking up memory in android is generally considered a good thing to speed up re-launching them. Empty memory is doing nothing. On properly configured ROMs this seems to hold well.

I was guessing that the slowness you're seeing might be due to you killing tasks and causing them to be relaunched. Without using a task killer I've had no memory problems so far, and it seems faster than all other ROMs I've tried

The pulse is ludicrously crippled with low memory though, so maybe tweaks will be needed in some circumstances.

Cheers for that, I'll uninstall it.

Does Froyo A2SD work? havent really noticed

Have you got a large app ( mb ) i could download to check and also, Is there a alarm ( Free ) For Froyo? I dont seem to have one.

cheeers

Proper froyo a2sd apparently works, and stores apps on the fat32 partition (not on an ext partition like the old hacked a2sd versions)

The apps should be listed in /mnt/asec if they are stored on the card. I think it's some kind of virtual directory mounting an encrypted hidden file on the SD card.

Also there are settings in the manage applications menu which control where apps are installed to. Apps with widgets cannot be stored on the SD without the widgets breaking.

Largeish app for testing:

http://www.getjar.com/adp/Angry-Birds

(bear in mind that some of the textures don't work and it's not hardware accelerated, so can be sluggish)

Also check out the games thread, I think there was a big car game which might be good for testing asec.

I use the built-in clock app for alarms, works fine for me.

Edited by Stevos

Guest starkos
Cheers for that, I'll uninstall it.

Does Froyo A2SD work? havent really noticed

Have you got a large app ( mb ) i could download to check and also, Is there a alarm ( Free ) For Froyo? I dont seem to have one.

cheeers

For alarms, open the Clock app... Caught me off guard at first too :P

Proper froyo a2sd apparently works, and stores apps on the fat32 partition (not on an ext partition like the old hacked a2sd versions)

The apps should be listed in /mnt/asec if they are stored on the card. I think it's some kind of virtual directory mounting an encrypted hidden file on the SD card.

Also there are settings in the manage applications menu which control where apps are installed to. Apps with widgets cannot be stored on the SD without the widgets breaking.

Largeish app for testing:

http://www.getjar.com/adp/Angry-Birds

(bear in mind that some of the textures don't work and it's not hardware accelerated, so can be sluggish)

Also check out the games thread, I think there was a big car game which might be good for testing asec.

I use the built-in clock app for alarms, works fine for me.

Thanks for the infomation, do you have any ideas on points 4 & 5?

Cheers

4 - I believe that someone has provided a kernel with swap support somewhere in the CM6 thread, but I haven't used it. Best place to look would be in there.

5 - I haven't noticed a similar problem. I wonder whether it's charging only to that level, or if it's reporting wrongly.

Suggestion - try charging from the mains cable (not USB), and check the connection carefully - sometimes it can get loose, and (a separate problem) sometimes the phone will refuse to charge from USB in my experience - this isn't ROM related.

If you still think it's a ROM issue, then best bet would be to ask in the main CM6 thread.

Also, could you confirm if the slowness problem was fixed by removing the task killer and rebooting? It would be interesting to know.

It was.

Phone is very quick now.

Cheers for the infomation and advice.

Tomm