Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Guest DroidNewbie2010
Perhaps after a factory reset defaults your [settings / Wireless & NETWORKS / Mobile Networks / Data Connection ] to disable 3G. Check it.

Pp

Thanks PeterPandroid for your reply. It lost the 3G connection before I did the factory reset anyway - see my previous post.

But anyways, I think I've sorted out the problem. I think it might be the rooting that wiped my APN setting - which I have found from another thread and reset it. Now it seems working. But will have to see if it lasts. (Hope so!)

Hope this will help someone who have the same problem as I did.

Guest joobuzz

Tried this, using the soft root option in the app, and after it said that it was complete I realised as I was downloading Busy Box from Titanium Backup that it was downloading over 3G, and that the wifi was off.

Tried to turn Wifi back on and it wouldn't turn on. Had to turn phone off and on to get wifi to turn on.

So my question is does soft root not work for Orange San Francisco, and if I do a hard root, will the wifi still work? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks.

So I couldn't flash my Orange San Francisco, and the reason why I wanted to is to remove the Orange Apps and the game demo's. So I came about a way without having to do anything with ROMs. Will cost you 63p though as I bought an app to do something...

Get Universal Androot (I got it from here.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598)

I got the latest one and it worked, then click root in that app. And wait till its rooted and it will install Super User Permissions.

Then download and install Busy Box from the market.

Then get SystemApp Remover by Danesh from the market (This cost 63p, theres prob a free one but I choose this and it worked)

Then go to SystemApp Remover and delete the Orange Apps(List below) they uninstall and it saves memory on the phone!

Root phone with Universal Androot, then delete with SystemApp Remover.

Done!

I recommend this to anyone who doesnt understand ROMs, flashing and those kind of things and anyone who wants to de-brand it from Orange.

I've put it up on my blog as well with links to files and the applications, please visit...

http://dailyandroidapps.blogspot.com/2010/...-installed.html

YOU CAN GET RID OF....

-Orange Homescreen

-Orange Homescreen Selector

-Orange App Shop

-Orange Photos

-Orange Wednesdays

-Orange Maps

-Orange Headlines

-Orange Email

-Orange TV

-Orange Backup

-Your Orange

-Touch Pal and the Spanish and French packs

-Sim Toolkit

-DocsToGo Demo

-Weather

-The game demos, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Guitar Hero.

YOU CANT GET RID OF...

-Internet (Even if it does have the Orange logo!)

Guest Mushroom_Lord

This Worked for me...eventually...

I downloaded universal androot, and busy box explorer, both worked fine.

When I tried removing the app with titanium backup however, it gave me a message saying my phone would reboot twice to trick the phone into unistalling...presses ok...

Came up with the noraml boot screen, but then an image of android and an exclamation mark appeared. When I pressed home (i think, that or back) it came up with the following UPSIDE DOWN on the screen:

Android System Recovery <2e>

Android System Recovery Utility

Reboot system now

apply sdcard: update.zip

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

Finding update package

Opening update package

Verifying update package

E:/ Signature veritifcation failed

Installation aborted

The screen had no exit, I could not even power off so I manually removed the battery..

I did this repeatedly, with no more success than the last..

but then...I think I used a different option in titanium backup because it came up with uninstall instead.

Just pressed it, and away went the apps ;);)

So...maybe just a stupid mistake....but a very strange error too....because I couldnt find anyone else with the same problem!

(stupid me) :(

Guest Phoenix Silver
This Worked for me...eventually...

I downloaded universal androot, and busy box explorer, both worked fine.

When I tried removing the app with titanium backup however, it gave me a message saying my phone would reboot twice to trick the phone into unistalling...presses ok...

Came up with the noraml boot screen, but then an image of android and an exclamation mark appeared. When I pressed home (i think, that or back) it came up with the following UPSIDE DOWN on the screen:

Android System Recovery <2e>

Android System Recovery Utility

Reboot system now

apply sdcard: update.zip

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

Finding update package

Opening update package

Verifying update package

E:/ Signature veritifcation failed

Installation aborted

The screen had no exit, I could not even power off so I manually removed the battery..

I did this repeatedly, with no more success than the last..

but then...I think I used a different option in titanium backup because it came up with uninstall instead.

Just pressed it, and away went the apps ;);)

So...maybe just a stupid mistake....but a very strange error too....because I couldnt find anyone else with the same problem!

(stupid me) :(

there is an option in tianium in the menus : generate update.zip

it's this update clockwork has to run

i have asked for the same problem this week ;)

Complete newbie on android here

I think I have done the above but in task manager on the applications screen all of the applications are still there but with the green android logo and have funny names such as com.cootek.touchpal or com.orange.messenger etc. Should they still be there if I have uninstalled the apps correctly.

Thanks in advance

Guest womble_sanfran
Complete newbie on android here

I think I have done the above but in task manager on the applications screen all of the applications are still there but with the green android logo and have funny names such as com.cootek.touchpal or com.orange.messenger etc. Should they still be there if I have uninstalled the apps correctly.

Thanks in advance

Are you sure you mean task manager? They shouldnt be in there but they will be in 'manage applications' with the funny names, if you read earlier in this thread you will see others have noted this. I dont know a way around it apart from messing with an xml file (see further up the thread).

Are you sure you mean task manager? They shouldnt be in there but they will be in 'manage applications' with the funny names, if you read earlier in this thread you will see others have noted this. I dont know a way around it apart from messing with an xml file (see further up the thread).

Yeah I have them in both task manager and manage applications. What should I have pressed in titanium backup when I did this. Uninstall or delete?

Thanks

Guest insurgente

excellent guide...very easy :(

i got another n00bish question.... when using System App Remover and pressing ''backup'' (I was feeling paranoid), where do they go? I thoguht they'd be backed up on my computer, but it's not connected my to san fran

Guest whoop_whoop
excellent guide...very easy :(

i got another n00bish question.... when using System App Remover and pressing ''backup'' (I was feeling paranoid), where do they go? I thoguht they'd be backed up on my computer, but it's not connected my to san fran

/sdcard/SystemAppBackup

Guest targetbsp

I removed lots more than the orange stuff with no ill effects. I don't have the 'friendly' names of all of these:

calculator (i use a better one from the market)

fm radio (i don't use it)

the 2 of the 3 wallpaper packs i don't use - i spose you could remove all 3 if you use a downloaded wallpaper. i kept the wallpaper picker

fcctest (this and the following 2 are responsible for these things: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...dialler-codes/)

qcnvtest

chipertest

vpn server ( i don't use it)

sound recorder (don't use)

com.android.stk (dunno what this was?? maybe the sim toolkit?)

com.cooliris.media (the gallery?)

ocom.irdeto.providers.drm (couldn't find what this does except for the fact it's none standard. i kept the standard android drm thing)

task manager (i have a market one)

notepad (market one)

alarm clock (don't use)

you could remove the stopwatch and filer (if you have an alternative) but i like them

I decided on the above to remove based on a site I found listing all standard android apps and how important they are coupled with the kitchens on here showing which things are optional. :unsure:

Guest carkev

I do fancy removing some Orange stuff as detailed in this thread but have questions ...

1. will using Universal Androot void my warranty

in original posting Xeyaztian says ...

"Then go to SystemApp Remover and delete the Orange Apps(List below) they uninstall and it saves memory on the phone!

Root phone with Universal Androot, then delete with SystemApp Remover."

2. why then, when Orange stuff is removed, is it necessary to re-root (or is that 2nd line just a summary) ?

I'm just a nervous newbie on Android, so please bear with me !

Guest The Sorcerer

OK, I'm fed up of this now :D I'm not a thick or stupid person - I'm a fully qualified electrician, I've worked as a telephone engineer for the last 17 years, I've got an HNC in Computing and I'm CCNA Certified - but this has got me beat!!!

I've successfully used Universal Androot to root the phone. I've downloaded and installed BusyBox (although I can't see what it does or what part it plays in the process) and I've downloaded and installed Titanium Backup. When I run Titanium Backup, a box pops up confirming that TB has superuser permissions, but NOWHERE in any TB menu's, settings or whatever, can I see anything that says "Manage Apps", "Remove Apps" or anything that seems to be remotely of any use in removing the unwanted Orange apps.

I was a bit sceptical how a "backup" program can be made to "remove apps" anyway. Surely the purpose of a backup program is to make backups and the purpose of an app remover program is to remove apps??? However, it's clear from this thread that some people have been able to make Titanium Backup remove the orange apps, so just EXACTLY - click by click, button by button, screen by screen - do you do it?

Thanks.

Guest wadgel
OK, I'm fed up of this now :D I'm not a thick or stupid person - I'm a fully qualified electrician, I've worked as a telephone engineer for the last 17 years, I've got an HNC in Computing and I'm CCNA Certified - but this has got me beat!!!

I've successfully used Universal Androot to root the phone. I've downloaded and installed BusyBox (although I can't see what it does or what part it plays in the process) and I've downloaded and installed Titanium Backup. When I run Titanium Backup, a box pops up confirming that TB has superuser permissions, but NOWHERE in any TB menu's, settings or whatever, can I see anything that says "Manage Apps", "Remove Apps" or anything that seems to be remotely of any use in removing the unwanted Orange apps.

I was a bit sceptical how a "backup" program can be made to "remove apps" anyway. Surely the purpose of a backup program is to make backups and the purpose of an app remover program is to remove apps??? However, it's clear from this thread that some people have been able to make Titanium Backup remove the orange apps, so just EXACTLY - click by click, button by button, screen by screen - do you do it?

Thanks.

Backup/Restore - click on the App in question, then click on Un-Install

I removed lots more than the orange stuff with no ill effects. I don't have the 'friendly' names of all of these:

calculator (i use a better one from the market)

fm radio (i don't use it)

the 2 of the 3 wallpaper packs i don't use - i spose you could remove all 3 if you use a downloaded wallpaper. i kept the wallpaper picker

fcctest (this and the following 2 are responsible for these things: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...dialler-codes/)

qcnvtest

chipertest

vpn server ( i don't use it)

sound recorder (don't use)

com.android.stk (dunno what this was?? maybe the sim toolkit?)

com.cooliris.media (the gallery?)

ocom.irdeto.providers.drm (couldn't find what this does except for the fact it's none standard. i kept the standard android drm thing)

task manager (i have a market one)

notepad (market one)

alarm clock (don't use)

you could remove the stopwatch and filer (if you have an alternative) but i like them

I decided on the above to remove based on a site I found listing all standard android apps and how important they are coupled with the kitchens on here showing which things are optional. :P

Handy to know........well done! :D

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread for all the help, tips and advice - I'm completely new to Android, have had an Orange San Francisco for 1 day and have been able to unlock it and remove all of the Orange junk with the help of this forum.

I used Universal Androot, Titanium and BusyBox and followed the OP's instructions to the tee.

Having just removed most of the Orange apps, I can see a massive difference in the speed of Opera Mini when I'm running the Internet - really please and just hoping I don't run into any snags but sure that if I do, there will be a post on here to steer me in the right direction.

So thanks again to the OP and everyone who's posted... really appreciate it and it's great to find such a helpful and active community.

Guest The Sorcerer
Backup/Restore - click on the App in question, then click on Un-Install

Wadgel, you're my hero!!! I've finally been able to remove the unwanted Orange apps so thank you very much my friend :D

Now then, having removed some stuff the icons on my homescreen have gaps in the display and now look like they've been randomly placed all over the screen. Is there any way to tidy them up and make them all neat again?

Edited by The Sorcerer

Guest targetbsp

I don't know the OP's thinking - perhaps just to get you as close to the state before you started doing this as possible. If you root for the sole purpose of making this change - then why leave it rooted once you're done?

It should also be considered as a security risk - like running Windows with your admin account. Sure, it asks you each time an app wants root access but the average user just says yes to anything they're asked. Which makes software firewalls really flipping useless - but that's another topic. :D It's safer to tell everyone to not be rooted and those that want to be rooted, will know they want to be rooted, and will ignore that instruction.

As it happens, it only seems to keep the bladed rooted until it's next boot up anyway.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest finnboy
I don't know the OP's thinking - perhaps just to get you as close to the state before you started doing this as possible. If you root for the sole purpose of making this change - then why leave it rooted once you're done?

It should also be considered as a security risk - like running Windows with your admin account. Sure, it asks you each time an app wants root access but the average user just says yes to anything they're asked. Which makes software firewalls really flipping useless - but that's another topic. :P It's safer to tell everyone to not be rooted and those that want to be rooted, will know they want to be rooted, and will ignore that instruction.

As it happens, it only seems to keep the bladed rooted until it's next boot up anyway.

Many thanks, this is the second SF ive bought, I put a custom rom etc on mine months back and left it alone, rooted.

This second one is for my son and thought just a standard debrand would be better perhaps. Not sure if leaving it Rooted for him is a good idea after your post.... I see your point now. :D