Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Guest Jirvinator
nope, that app always says that.

The "data" folder isn't found in system, use es file manager, root explorer or file expert to find it

Thanks Fou-Lu. I played with es File Manager and found and edited the packages.xml but it wouldnt let me copy it back. Seems protected so I think I will just bite the bullet and install 2.2 Froyo and clean the phone up that way.

Thanks for replying.

Guest aleksamaki

Hello to all,

I removed orange apps and demo games using method on the first page, but phone storage (phone memory) remains the same size as before. Is it normal like that or I'm doing something wrong.

And one more question: what is low level of phone memory that provides phone to work without a problem (now I have on android system info - internal memory max. 208.12MB/free 52.66MB)? Is it 5, 10, 20MB, or...?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by aleksamaki

Guest BL4D3

Just registered to give my thanks in the threads that helped me out.

I have since flashed to a new ROM but before that I used the Androot > Titanium method to remove the Orange crud from my phone.

Worked like a charm so thanks to the OP and all contributors.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aleksamaki
Hello to all,

I removed orange apps and demo games using method on the first page, but phone storage (phone memory) remains the same size as before. Is it normal like that or I'm doing something wrong.

And one more question: what is low level of phone memory that provides phone to work without a problem (now I have on android system info - internal memory max. 208.12MB/free 52.66MB)? Is it 5, 10, 20MB, or...?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT

Installed root explorer and found data/dalvik cache folder. In there found or

Edited by aleksamaki

Guest aleksamaki
Hello to all,

Thanks in advance.

Edited by aleksamaki

Guest aleksamaki
Hello to all,

Thanks in advance.

EDIT

Installed root explorer and found data/dalvik cache folder. In there found orange apps I already deleted. Is it safe to remove them from dalvik cache folder???

Guest aleksamaki
Hello to all,

Thanks in advance.

EDIT

Installed root explorer and found data/dalvik cache folder. In there found orange apps I already deleted. Is it safe to remove them from dalvik cache folder???

P.S. Can somebody delete my double posts. Something was wrong last night with posting on forum.

Edited by aleksamaki

Guest xeyaztian

Its always a good idea to clear the cache.

I personally use the app App2SD Free and that includes a chache clearer for rooted phones.

Guest Damod

Just got my san francisco two days ago and de-oranged it this morning. Thanks for the guide and tips guys, it runs so much smoother without the orange crap.

I've just installed launcher pro and am really happy with it except one thing, the wireless/bluetooth/gps/sync/brightness widget is no longer available. Anyone know how to add it to launcher pro screen?

Guest njc1001

Not an answer to the previous, but another question I am afraid...

==================

Following the method on page one I removed the orange apps from my phone. Thanks; for a while it worked great, and I do appreciate everyone's time in sharing how to do this.

However I obviously then started too deleting applications too readily. Now when I switch the phone on it goes into a cycle where

i) a message box appears from com.android.launcher2 which tells me it has stopped unexpectedly

ii) me clicking "force close" (seemingly my only option)

iii) the screen going back

iv) back to i (after about two seconds)

I can't seem to get out of this loop. Have I broken the phone, or is this something I can recover from by connecting it to a computer and manipulating files?

Thanks

Guest Damod
Not an answer to the previous, but another question I am afraid...

==================

Following the method on page one I removed the orange apps from my phone. Thanks; for a while it worked great, and I do appreciate everyone's time in sharing how to do this.

However I obviously then started too deleting applications too readily. Now when I switch the phone on it goes into a cycle where

i) a message box appears from com.android.launcher2 which tells me it has stopped unexpectedly

ii) me clicking "force close" (seemingly my only option)

iii) the screen going back

iv) back to i (after about two seconds)

I can't seem to get out of this loop. Have I broken the phone, or is this something I can recover from by connecting it to a computer and manipulating files?

Thanks

Did you back up the stuff you deleted? If not, maybe installing a custom rom will help.

Guest Damod

QUOTE(Phoenix Silver @ Jan 24 2011, 14:17)

it's basic android standard part i think

it's the power control widget

Power control widget! thanks to Phoenix Silver on the ask a daft question thread.

Guest robyarr
Just got my san francisco two days ago and de-oranged it this morning. Thanks for the guide and tips guys, it runs so much smoother without the orange crap.

I've just installed launcher pro and am really happy with it except one thing, the wireless/bluetooth/gps/sync/brightness widget is no longer available. Anyone know how to add it to launcher pro screen?

on the home screen,slide it to the left,if should be there

Guest stuart R

I am hoping to remove the orange bloatware from my Orange San Francisco I am a a newbie with smartphones. I read your "simple" instructions I found my self completely bamboozled. Do you mean download the listed items to the phone? Tried to download to laptop under vista home version but it didnt like the files. Gave up at this point, can you make it simpler for us oldies.

Thanks

Guest InRetro

Stuart - if you've downloaded the files to your computer, plug your phone into that computer, then choose 'mount'.

This will make (the memory card) on your phone appear to your computer like a usb memory stick. Copy and paste all the .apk files onto your phone, then disconnect from the computer and open the 'Filer' app on the phone.

There you'll get the same view of the files that you just saw on your computer. Select any of the .apk files to install them.

Guest eaglehay42
1. Install Universal Androot (Download - http://bit.ly/hbtGVP)

2. Install BusyBox (Download - http://bit.ly/ekfbk4)

3. Install SystemApp Remover (Download - http://bit.ly/ik79cz)

4. Run Universal Androot by clicking Root. Once done go back to system menu.

5. Run SystemApp Remover and remove Orange Apps.

Done!

I've put it up on my blog/site as well with links to files and the applications, please visit...

http://www.applicationsdaily.com/2010/10/s...-installed.html

YOU CAN GET RID OF....

-Orange Homescreen

-Orange Homescreen Selector

-Orange App Shop

-Orange Photos

-Orange Wednesdays

-Orange Maps

-Orange Headlines

-Orange Email

-Orange TV

-Orange Backup

-Your Orange

-Touch Pal and the Spanish and French packs

-DocsToGo Demo

-Weather

-The game demos, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Guitar Hero.

YOU CANT GET RID OF...

-Internet

-SimToolKit (STK) (I have but one person said this caused a problem)

Notes - You do not need to open BusyBox at all. If you download the files to your computer then you need to move them onto your phone and use the Filer app that is built in, or download Astro File Manager to open the apps. they will end with .apk. Be careful when you delete, this is your phone which you paid money for, so be careful.

P.S. Great tip for saving battery life. Download 2G-3G Off then add it as a widget. If you leave your phone without using internet for a long amount of time, then turn 3G off, for example before you go to sleep, whilst at work/education. Also very good for when your in areas where you know 3G doesn't reach.

I have just bought a san francisco , Mr Pigfish says it is a gen 1 model. I can see poeple are reporting all sorts of problems with rooting and updating these newer phones. Is this info still valid as it was posted some time ago and seems to link to older versions of androot for example? I really am utterly hopeless with techy stuff and even so called 'simple' guides bring me out in a cold sweat. Please help.

Guest k0zmic
I have just bought a san francisco , Mr Pigfish says it is a gen 1 model. I can see poeple are reporting all sorts of problems with rooting and updating these newer phones. Is this info still valid as it was posted some time ago and seems to link to older versions of androot for example? I really am utterly hopeless with techy stuff and even so called 'simple' guides bring me out in a cold sweat. Please help.

It's still valid. That link for androot on the 1st post is the latest.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Billy Wiz

Do you have to use System App Remover or are there some other options available?

I know it's only a few pence but I don't use my credit card on the market or with google and I don't want to.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

The thing is this is kinda outdated now, as you can just apply 1 tpt by booting with Volume+ held and some files on your sd card and bam your phone has completely changed. New ROM. New recovery etc...

Guest Mushroom_Lord
Do you have to use System App Remover or are there some other options available?

I know it's only a few pence but I don't use my credit card on the market or with google and I don't want to.

I'm pretty sure titanium backup does the same thing...but to be honest its been an age since I've done this :)

Guest xeyaztian
I'm pretty sure titanium backup does the same thing...but to be honest its been an age since I've done this :)

I personally tried the ROM thing after I did this and I find it quite simple, but some people do not and will not ever want to do the root thing however easy it is.

Guest xeyaztian

I havnt used this but this is free and says it does it too.... it has good ratings on the market and quite a few donwloads so itll be legit...

https://market.android.com/details?id=zsj.a...e=search_result

Guest kiwibrit
I havnt used this but this is free and says it does it too.... it has good ratings on the market and quite a few donwloads so itll be legit...

https://market.android.com/details?id=zsj.a...e=search_result

I may go for that. [edit] I just did. It sees all the new apps that I have downloaded - but not the apps that are already there [/edit]

In the meantime, I have used Mr Pigfish (I have Gen 1) successfully loaded Universal Androot - and can Root and Unroot the phone at will However, when I try to download BusyBox from my Google account, I get:

Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone. Now, I have read that I can download it onto the SIM card, and run it from there ... but is that wise if I am being warned that the content is not suitable? Sorry if I am being naive - I'm very new at this.

Edited by kiwibrit

Guest spannerz
I may go for that. [edit] I just did. It sees all the new apps that I have downloaded - but not the apps that are already there [/edit]

In the meantime, I have used Mr Pigfish (I have Gen 1) successfully loaded Universal Androot - and can Root and Unroot the phone at will However, when I try to download BusyBox from my Google account, I get:

Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone. Now, I have read that I can download it onto the SIM card, and run it from there ... but is that wise if I am being warned that the content is not suitable? Sorry if I am being naive - I'm very new at this.

I bought and used System App remover (£0.64p) and it worked well once the phone was rooted.. I have early model OSF Gen1

However I've recently put new ROM onto phone and it works much better than it ever did even after I'd removed the Orange junk. I had never done this to any phone before and used the sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk website as it had a more 'idiot proof' instructions than I could find on Modaca (sorry Modaco!)

Edited by spannerz