No insurance...on 2.2...screen cracked...

Guest dairymasta

Guest dairymasta

So I know 2.2 has voided my warranty, and my screen cracked today. No idea how it happened, took my phone out of my pocket, saw a cracked screen, sighed and put it back in the pocket.

Oddly enough, the "indestructible gorilla glass" still has not a scratch nor crack on it. It's just the LCD underneath.

I'm 100% sure because the glass doesn't have a scratch on it I can get it repaired on warranty, because I haven't dropped it or anything. However, you think I should risk handing it in considering I've flashed 2.2? Or will they catch me out? Or be unbothered and send me a new one?

Ideas? :P

Hi,

I'm on my third streak and they have been replaced without me claiming on my home insurance. I just took it to o2 explained how the screen had been damaged and they said I could be billed etc, but on each occasion sell supplied a replacement unit.

The software you're running shouldn't absolve the manufacturer of liability for what they seem to accept as a design/production issue (hence replacement units with no questions).

Cheers,

JimiB

I am interested in hearing if anybody had theirs replaced by Dell directly even though they weren't running the direct from dell firmware, would help me sleep better at night knowing I don't have such a potential headache waiting to happen.

Guest untrueparadox

if the screen cracked, can you still flash roms to it? if u can, just install the original recovery and download the pkg from dell. that way it looks factory intact.

Guest spences10
if the screen cracked, can you still flash roms to it? if u can, just install the original recovery and download the pkg from dell. that way it looks factory intact.

I would always go with go back to stock in this situation. if there is any reason for the vendor not to replace the handset they will use it.

Voiding the warranty is a great excuse I'd say, don't give them any opportunity-go back to stock what have you got to loose? Chances are they will replace the handset so you won't keep the firmware upgrade anyway :P

Guest dairymasta
I would always go with go back to stock in this situation. if there is any reason for the vendor not to replace the handset they will use it.

Voiding the warranty is a great excuse I'd say, don't give them any opportunity-go back to stock what have you got to loose? Chances are they will replace the handset so you won't keep the firmware upgrade anyway :P

Would absolutely love to do that and hand it in, but the LCD is completely smashed. There's only 1 crack down the side but the whole screen no longer works, dunno what kind of cheap crap this screen is made out of. Can't get into clockwork mod to be able to reflash, heh. :/

Guest jannism

Does anyone know how they would go about checking the installed OS when they can't see it? Do we think they actually plug something in that identifies the build and allows them to immediately sack the claim? My guess would be that rather than spend time and money looking into whether or not you have unofficial software running, the first thing they see is a hardware fault. Considering the speed with which they sent me a replacement unit for an apparent software fault it sounds more like a revolving door situation - one comes back, gets a once-over, another gets sent out and the faulty unit then gets shipped off to China or wherever to be recycled for parts.

Like I say, just my guess but JimiB's first-hand experience would appear to back it up. Also, if you genuinely have no insurance-related avenues what have you got to lose? Worst case scenario is they give it back to you and you're back where you started - try and salvage a few quid on fleabay, perhaps...

Guest wonderlexx
I am interested in hearing if anybody had theirs replaced by Dell directly even though they weren't running the direct from dell firmware, would help me sleep better at night knowing I don't have such a potential headache waiting to happen.

I sent my streak to Dell (bought directly from dell in the UK) as it was rebooting (sometimes randomly, sometimes when using anything which needs GPS). The fault was not a loose battery and the fault was not software as it happened with 1.6 and 2.1. It must have been something with the hardware and I hope they fixed it (I cant be sure as the thing came back without any description of what they have done). They fixed the glass which had a scratch but I really hope they did something with these random reboots. When I sent the device in it had the 2.1 O2 version on it. It came back with a default 1.6 version and they did not complain about this. I will run it for a week with 1.6 to see if it is still rebooting at random. If this is fixed I upgrade to 2.2.

Guest andycqos
I sent my streak to Dell (bought directly from dell in the UK) as it was rebooting (sometimes randomly, sometimes when using anything which needs GPS). The fault was not a loose battery and the fault was not software as it happened with 1.6 and 2.1. It must have been something with the hardware and I hope they fixed it (I cant be sure as the thing came back without any description of what they have done). They fixed the glass which had a scratch but I really hope they did something with these random reboots. When I sent the device in it had the 2.1 O2 version on it. It came back with a default 1.6 version and they did not complain about this. I will run it for a week with 1.6 to see if it is still rebooting at random. If this is fixed I upgrade to 2.2.

Are you sure its the same phone?

As jannism said, its more likely they simply ship out replacements (possibly refurbs depending on circumstances) and then either fix or scrap the other phone.

Guest matty.cptk
Would absolutely love to do that and hand it in, but the LCD is completely smashed. There's only 1 crack down the side but the whole screen no longer works, dunno what kind of cheap crap this screen is made out of. Can't get into clockwork mod to be able to reflash, heh. :/

well if you cant read it because the display is smashed i doubt that the engineers will look into the version as its an external problem and not internal.

and i've read countless threads on the interwebs with the same case scenario so i guess they're used to this problem and will probably ship you one out straight away and possibly get a doorstep swap.

Guest wonderlexx
Are you sure its the same phone?

As jannism said, its more likely they simply ship out replacements (possibly refurbs depending on circumstances) and then either fix or scrap the other phone.

Might be a new phone. I have to dig out the box it came in at home to compare serial numbers .... (I did not write them down when shipping the thing)

Guest dairymasta
Hi,

I'm on my third streak and they have been replaced without me claiming on my home insurance. I just took it to o2 explained how the screen had been damaged and they said I could be billed etc, but on each occasion sell supplied a replacement unit.

The software you're running shouldn't absolve the manufacturer of liability for what they seem to accept as a design/production issue (hence replacement units with no questions).

Cheers,

JimiB

Really? I called up O2 and they told me it would be replaced on warranty. Took it to the O2 shop today, they told me no this is physical damage (even though the whole phone is in perfect condition except the LCD underneath) and that all they could do for me was send it off for a quote and if I accepted the quote they would repair the screen.

Carphone warehouse also refused to repair under warranty and said they'd charge me £59.99 to repair the screen.

:)

Guest spences10
Does anyone know how they would go about checking the installed OS when they can't see it? Do we think they actually plug something in that identifies the build and allows them to immediately sack the claim? My guess would be that rather than spend time and money looking into whether or not you have unofficial software running, the first thing they see is a hardware fault. Considering the speed with which they sent me a replacement unit for an apparent software fault it sounds more like a revolving door situation - one comes back, gets a once-over, another gets sent out and the faulty unit then gets shipped off to China or wherever to be recycled for parts.

Like I say, just my guess but JimiB's first-hand experience would appear to back it up. Also, if you genuinely have no insurance-related avenues what have you got to lose? Worst case scenario is they give it back to you and you're back where you started - try and salvage a few quid on fleabay, perhaps...

Sorry thought the screen was just cracked, I don't see how they will be able to check the currently installed os then-our if they would bother. I know it goes against what I said before but I doing are end how they could check the os.

Guest spences10
Really? I called up O2 and they told me it would be replaced on warranty. Took it to the O2 shop today, they told me no this is physical damage (even though the whole phone is in perfect condition except the LCD underneath) and that all they could do for me was send it off for a quote and if I accepted the quote they would repair the screen.

Carphone warehouse also refused to repair under warranty and said they'd charge me £59.99 to repair the screen.

:)

Carphone warehouse = jokers

In future stay well away, not much help now I know *sorry*

Guest dairymasta

In case anybody's wondering, took it to 3 carephone warehouses, they all told me I'd have to pay 59.99 to get the screen fixed and would not be fixed on warranty. Took it to O2 and they told me they'd send it off for a quotation on how much it would cost to fix the screen and would not fix it on warranty even though when I called O2 they told me they would!!

So didn't do anything, next day took it again to a carphone warehouse and they told me the same thing. Took it again to O2 and spoke to a nice looking chap who I thought might listen to my story and believe it and believe it or not he told me he's had customers come in before with the same broken LCD problem and if they told me on the phone they'd fix it on warranty he'd send it off on warranty for a fix, as with previous customers O2 were unsure how to deal with it!!

So I guess perseverence and trying your luck is the key! Let's just hope I don't get it sent back with a quotation, but the chap did tell me he'd put it down for a fix on warranty and I'd get a new one in a week (yep, he pretty much said they wouldn't bother fixing something like that, but could see the phone was in perfect condition apart from the LCD)

So fingers crossed. :)

Guest spences10
In case anybody's wondering, took it to 3 carephone warehouses, they all told me I'd have to pay 59.99 to get the screen fixed and would not be fixed on warranty. Took it to O2 and they told me they'd send it off for a quotation on how much it would cost to fix the screen and would not fix it on warranty even though when I called O2 they told me they would!!

So didn't do anything, next day took it again to a carphone warehouse and they told me the same thing. Took it again to O2 and spoke to a nice looking chap who I thought might listen to my story and believe it and believe it or not he told me he's had customers come in before with the same broken LCD problem and if they told me on the phone they'd fix it on warranty he'd send it off on warranty for a fix, as with previous customers O2 were unsure how to deal with it!!

So I guess perseverence and trying your luck is the key! Let's just hope I don't get it sent back with a quotation, but the chap did tell me he'd put it down for a fix on warranty and I'd get a new one in a week (yep, he pretty much said they wouldn't bother fixing something like that, but could see the phone was in perfect condition apart from the LCD)

So fingers crossed. :)

Well done fella, i think this is a lesson learned about buying phones from carphone warehouse

My o2 warrenty repair was the same, mint condition phone but the vibration didnt work - i got a new handset 5 days later

Guest deekarma
to tell u honestly, 60 pounds isnt bad to fix the screen. that lcd panel costs 150 euros on ebay.

I agree. Warranty repair is for faulty phones, not damaged phones. Very decent if you get a new one for nothing.

Guest Tim6772

A friend of mine works for Carphone Warehouse and O2's repair team at their combined service centre in Swansea.

Asked him about the Streak's screen issue and he says the cracked screens are due to Twisting the device in the pocket etc. the screen is fixed to the glass outer with a mild bonding agent. The Gorilla glass can flex slightly to 3%, but the LCD is a rigid affair made up of 7 layers of crystalline 'glass' and just wont flex. He added that the device would benefit from not having LCD & Gorilla bonded together.

The can and do log all software versions just by docking the device, the system only logs Serials/Tags/Basic customer details, their system isn't allowed to log personal details by law

He does repairs 'outside' his office at a seriously discounted price, had my iPhone4, mint condition for £55 (mates rates lol) and have a Galaxy Tab coming for £125 :) Nice having mates where it matters lol

Asked him if it's ok to pass on his details to anyone looking for an out of warranty repair and he's ok with that. as long as you know it'll be done 'outside' official channels. Yes, he does offer a 3 month warranty on parts

PM me if you need help and i'll send you his email addy

Mods, if this oversteps the 'Advertising Boundaries' please feel free to edit

Considering Dell doesn't have any official repair centers, it is extremely helpful to know that unoffiial ones exist, particularly for those of us who have unlocked ones off contract.

Guest dairymasta

So my replacement came today.

To my surprise, they literally gave me a new one, complete in box and everything. Which is good, cause my last set of earphones broke so now I have a new set I'm sorted :)

also means I now have two chargers and two leads, which is awesome, and two batteries...and best thing of all, two 16gb SD Cards!

Good on you O2, all for free. :)

Edited by dairymasta

Guest mancterrier
So my replacement came today.

To my surprise, they literally gave me a new one, complete in box and everything. Which is good, cause my last set of earphones broke so now I have a new set I'm sorted :rolleyes:

also means I now have two chargers and two leads, which is awesome, and two batteries...and best thing of all, two 16gb SD Cards!

Good on you O2, all for free. :huh:

Erm Im in pretty much same boat as you Dairymasta. Dropped it last night. End result:

http://twitpic.com/34umpo

189546108.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1289163309&Signature=lyTdUqrTMve2VMdfTLuqteHrJGY=

I bought mine through carphone warehouse too, glad I found this thread , it will be helpful tomorrow. Any advice on what to say to o2? Ps I have mobille phone insurance through my bank but having used it on my last phone I know how long Ill be without my phone if i go down that route so would rather not if possible...

Edited by mancterrier

Guest mancterrier
One word: Ottercase.

I've dropped mine 3 times now and the kids knocked it off the arm of the couch numerous times, no damage. :huh:

two words: Got one :D

I took it out to use in my gps dock and never put it back on as I had tightish jeans on for going out in and didnt want the additional bulk. Its a bit after the horse has bolted as well :rolleyes: :huh:

Guest spences10
two words: Got one :D

I took it out to use in my gps dock and never put it back on as I had tightish jeans on for going out in and didnt want the additional bulk. Its a bit after the horse has bolted as well :rolleyes: :huh:

The exact same reason I got a ZTE Blade, now my streak will only be coming put of that otterbox for special occasions, like battery pulling :huh: