No insurance...on 2.2...screen cracked...

Guest dairymasta

Guest mattsdad1701
A friend of mine works for Carphone Warehouse and O2's repair team at their combined service centre in Swansea.

Asked him about the Streak's screen issue and he says the cracked screens are due to Twisting the device in the pocket etc. the screen is fixed to the glass outer with a mild bonding agent. The Gorilla glass can flex slightly to 3%, but the LCD is a rigid affair made up of 7 layers of crystalline 'glass' and just wont flex. He added that the device would benefit from not having LCD & Gorilla bonded together.

The can and do log all software versions just by docking the device, the system only logs Serials/Tags/Basic customer details, their system isn't allowed to log personal details by law

He does repairs 'outside' his office at a seriously discounted price, had my iPhone4, mint condition for £55 (mates rates lol) and have a Galaxy Tab coming for £125 :) Nice having mates where it matters lol

Asked him if it's ok to pass on his details to anyone looking for an out of warranty repair and he's ok with that. as long as you know it'll be done 'outside' official channels. Yes, he does offer a 3 month warranty on parts

PM me if you need help and i'll send you his email addy

Mods, if this oversteps the 'Advertising Boundaries' please feel free to edit

Could you advise me of this chaps email address as I have 2 with broken screens/lcds to repair?

Guest panamoncreel0

I just broke mine for the second time, once it twisting in the pocket, second falling 3 foot out of my shirt pocket, dells policy here in the states is one time replacement no questions asked. Got lucky

Guest lonegungrrly

yeah, just to confirm what most have said, I'm from UK and my screen died, to the point where it was completely black, so no flashing back to stock. i had steve's 2.2 on it.

I phoned dell, they said they'd fix it the first time in good faith. they picked it up 2 days later.

two weeks later, I have a shiny new streak, accessories and all, completely free. Love Dell, me!

it wouldn't surprise me if the broken one just got thrown out or recycled. they certainly didn't check what I had running on it (thankfully!)