Backcover causes spontaneous reboots!

Guest Techneut

Guest Techneut

I am sure that most, so not all, spontaneous reboots are caused by a tiny switch with a diminutive lever that is switched on/off by one of the backcover lips!

Have a look at the pictures... This is the REAL culprit that senses whenever the backcover is in its place or not.

The tiny switch lever seems to react to wringing the backcover, tapping on it, and certain sounds that make the backcover resonate.

Probably, the only things that really help will be: short-circuit the mechanical switch, or find the program that senses the switch and disable it...

post-714780-1288352885_thumb.jpg post-714780-1288352896_thumb.jpg

Guest Techneut

Putting a small wad of paper in between the battery and the backcover immobilizes the cover!

Then, suddenly and magically, all the spontaneous reboots STOP.

For now, this turns out to be the best solution there is...

Guest PaulVlagsma

I looks to me that there are two switches which detect 'back cover on',

one just above red circle, the other just above the SIM card holder.

Does your 'wad' cover those switches.

If they are not detectors, what are they for?

Good find, by the way.

Edited by PaulVlagsma

Good find, by the way.

Yeah good work guys, had a feeling it was something like this! Perhaps a wedging the switch down and gluing it?

Edited by degriz

Guest Techneut

Good find, by the way.

Both visible electric contacts are NOT electric switches! They are only two tiny contacts that are earthing the metal back cover, and nothing more.

I have tried them out; and isolating both electric contacts from the backcover with a little piece of plastic doesn't provoke any reaction at all.

However, pushing both electric contacts in, without the attached cover, immediately makes the Streak complain about the not attached backcover!

Therefore, the ONLY means of detecting the backcover is a little switch that 'feels' one of the inserted backcover lips.

Look at the picture again, there you can see a square little switch with an upstanding tiny lever in the center of the drawn red circle. There is the switch that detects the back cover!

I think people may try to open the plastic case and glue its tiny lever into a flat position; thus tweaking the program into thinking the backcover is always in its place...

Or, somebody could try to tweak the program into no longer detect the opened/closed switch?

BTW the first switch has a silver case, while the other switch, obviously from another Streak, is pitch black!

Edited by Techneut

Guest adzman808

if you put the dell in fastboot mode & take the cover off it stays powered on, so MAYBE its not a switch....

is the back cover not the earth for the device?

if anyone's having problems, prob best to try the "wedge of paper" idea mentioned above, no?

Guest tomqman
fair play mate,

sweet little mod - you can hot swap sdhc cards now... (obv unmount then first tho i guess?)

yep hot swapping works 100% fine, with unmounting first :)

Guest adzman808

thanks very much for this

after prising off my bezels i discovered i couldn't find my torx bit (d'oh)

so i went with the small piece of thin cardboard route (took of all 2 mins, should not have dissassembled the phone at all!!)

works a treat, am now running a micro sd via a sd adaptor in my dslr, so can pop the (micro) card str8 in to the streak to properly check the pix on the go :)

many thanks

would recoomend that everyone does this, either via the cardboard route or the (far more pro) disasemble the phone, glue switch route

seriously - thank you :)

PS it's actually possible to get 2 spare micro sd cards in the space above the SIM, that's a conceivable >96gb of storage you can have in your pocket (not that i own 3 x 32gb cards lol)

Edited by adzman808

Guest adzman808

Good find, by the way.

this has got sweet fa to do with them 2 little tabs mate

(as the OP says)

the level that tells the phone if the back cover is attached is circled in the pic, basically one the little right angled "feet" on the back cover engages a lever inside of the slot it fits into

i used a TINY piece of card 'jammed' into this slot to permantly keep this level depressed

HTH?

• 3 weeks later...

I think this thread is exactly what I needed. It never occurred to me that I might not have got the back cover seated well after flashing 2.2 and I spent the whole day thinking I would have to go back to 1.6.