HTC Magic - Fails to boot, recovery mode gone?

Guest joshbros

Guest joshbros

Dear All,

Apologies if I miss out any formalities or other such requirements for the forum, but I am a complete noob and was advised to ask on this community.

I have had the HTC magic for almost a year and a half now, and in June of this year decided to put a custom ROM onto my handset as I was bored with the stock android and Vodafone weren't offering the newer android updates and features!

This had worked fine until yesterday when my phone decided it would freeze in my pocket. As a result of this, I pulled the battery out of the back as it was completely unresponsive and attempted to turn the device back on. When i pulled the phone out of my pocket 5 minutes later( it always took forever to load so I used to just put it down and let it do its thing) it was stuck on the final screen of the boot sequence. I once again pulled the battery out and tried again, only to this time watch the same event happen. I have tried multiple times since and the same thing keeps on happening.

After looking back into how I put on the custom rom in the first place ( I don't play around with my phones software that much, so had completely forgotten if I'm honest) and talking to a friend who is more into these kind of things, I tried to boot the phone into recovery mode (using power and home?) but was met with an icon of a phone and an exclamation mark in a triangle on a black screen. My friend advised me to once again flash on the recovery image of 'recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img' using 'fastboot' through terminal, and then just re-install a ROM. After typing in 'fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img' i retained the following error in terminal.

ERROR: could not get pipe properties

sending 'recovery' (4520 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... INFOsignature checking...

FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)

I don't believe the pipe properties error is relevant as it comes up even when the phone is not connected to the computer, but I'm not completely sure.

Information about my phone and set-up taken from fastboot menu on device and basic knowledge.

HTC Magic - Vodafone & Google Branded

UK Model.

Sapphire PVT 32B Ship S-on G

Hboot -1.33.0004 (SAPP1000)

CPLD - 10

Radio - 2.22.12.261

Apr 9 2009 23:30:40

Computer

iMac Late 2009 model

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

The ROM I originally put on I think was 'KiNgxKxlick-Legend2G1-v12_sign.zip' but I am not completely sure about that.

All help to get any ROM on my phone, be it the original stock or any other just to make it so I can make basic phone calls and texts til the end of my contract, would be more than greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Josh

• 7 months later...
Guest Doughnut643
Dear All,

Apologies if I miss out any formalities or other such requirements for the forum, but I am a complete noob and was advised to ask on this community.

I have had the HTC magic for almost a year and a half now, and in June of this year decided to put a custom ROM onto my handset as I was bored with the stock android and Vodafone weren't offering the newer android updates and features!

This had worked fine until yesterday when my phone decided it would freeze in my pocket. As a result of this, I pulled the battery out of the back as it was completely unresponsive and attempted to turn the device back on. When i pulled the phone out of my pocket 5 minutes later( it always took forever to load so I used to just put it down and let it do its thing) it was stuck on the final screen of the boot sequence. I once again pulled the battery out and tried again, only to this time watch the same event happen. I have tried multiple times since and the same thing keeps on happening.

After looking back into how I put on the custom rom in the first place ( I don't play around with my phones software that much, so had completely forgotten if I'm honest) and talking to a friend who is more into these kind of things, I tried to boot the phone into recovery mode (using power and home?) but was met with an icon of a phone and an exclamation mark in a triangle on a black screen. My friend advised me to once again flash on the recovery image of 'recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img' using 'fastboot' through terminal, and then just re-install a ROM. After typing in 'fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-sapphire-v1.7.0G.img' i retained the following error in terminal.

ERROR: could not get pipe properties

sending 'recovery' (4520 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... INFOsignature checking...

FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)

I don't believe the pipe properties error is relevant as it comes up even when the phone is not connected to the computer, but I'm not completely sure.

Information about my phone and set-up taken from fastboot menu on device and basic knowledge.

HTC Magic - Vodafone & Google Branded

UK Model.

Sapphire PVT 32B Ship S-on G

Hboot -1.33.0004 (SAPP1000)

CPLD - 10

Radio - 2.22.12.261

Apr 9 2009 23:30:40

Computer

iMac Late 2009 model

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

The ROM I originally put on I think was 'KiNgxKxlick-Legend2G1-v12_sign.zip' but I am not completely sure about that.

All help to get any ROM on my phone, be it the original stock or any other just to make it so I can make basic phone calls and texts til the end of my contract, would be more than greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Josh

If you still have your phone, i suggest you create a gold card, flash the correct spl, and then try to flash the correct recovery and radio through hboot. hope it helps ^__^

oh and maybe try on a different computer