Access Recovery without Power button

Guest barrycarey

Guest barrycarey

Hey everyone,

The power button on my Nexus failed over the weekend. It was acting up all week and then just stopped working. I made it back to a computer last night and was able to get it to power on via USB.

I've been using Paul's desire port but I never selected the option to have wake on trackball baked in. So I cooked up another ROM last night with that option so the phone would be usable. I booted into Recovery via ADB and did a wipe of everything from recovery. The problem came when I went to flash the rom because I forgot to tick the option to have it signed. I have an older version of Amon's recovery so it won't flash unsigned zips.

It was getting late when that happed so I said F it and would deal with it today. But now I have no way to get into recovery. The phone wont get past the first X screen (presumably because I wiped without flashing). So I have no way to get into Recovery. If I pull the battery and insert it while holding volume down it will get to the HBOOT screen but I can't select recovery due to the power button being dead. From that screen if I check for devices via ADB or fastboot it doesn't not see it.

Do anyone know of a way to get into recovery mode without using the power button? I'd be forever grateful.

And just to prevent anyone from going there, I can't do an exchange due to the fact my screen is cracked

Guest stevenz

If your computer can't see it when it's in fastboot mode, then you might have issues as that rules out any remote commands. If you did then you could use fastboot to run "fastboot update update.zip" and kick it back into life, then use "adb reboot recovery" or the "Quickboot" app to get back into recovery if need be.

I'd look into trying to get a machine to see it via fastboot so you can sort it out that way.