DHD Battery Life

Guest mwright

Guest mwright

Hi,

I see various discussion threads on other forums discussing the appalling battery life of the DHD.

How on earth did HTC expect a phone of that size and functionality to survive with such a small battery?

The other threads seem to basically say "turn off all the features that make the phone useful and you will get a decent battery life". What is the point of that! I got the phone BECAUSE of the features that I am now supposed to turn off just to get decent battery life.

It does not make sense to me.

According to HTC, I am supposed to live with it for about 10 days in order to get the best out of it. Well unfortunately I can't do that because Orange will only allow me to keep it for 7 days in order to return it!

Once again I am in a mess trying to get myself a new decent phone!

Any bright ideas people?

Regards

Mike

Guest squalllion1uk
Hi,

I see various discussion threads on other forums discussing the appalling battery life of the DHD.

How on earth did HTC expect a phone of that size and functionality to survive with such a small battery?

The other threads seem to basically say "turn off all the features that make the phone useful and you will get a decent battery life". What is the point of that! I got the phone BECAUSE of the features that I am now supposed to turn off just to get decent battery life.

It does not make sense to me.

According to HTC, I am supposed to live with it for about 10 days in order to get the best out of it. Well unfortunately I can't do that because Orange will only allow me to keep it for 7 days in order to return it!

Once again I am in a mess trying to get myself a new decent phone!

Any bright ideas people?

Regards

Mike

Uhh drain the battery ->charge->drain->charge etc

Charged and drained mine like 3 times the first day I got it.

Mind you oddly my battery went down 20% in 8 hours while not being used :/

Though in all honesty the battery is big (as in physically) but light surely we can get a bigger (mah) battery but same size?

Switching off a feature like "always on mobile data" makes a nice difference to battery life on both my Pulse and my wife's Desire. It also has zero effect on the phone's functionality that I can see.

3G can also hit battery life - particularly if in suspect signal areas. I tend to leave my phone on 2G as all the normal stuff background stuff still works like email, weather etc and I flick back to 3G if I want to do something more online like youtube.

Edited by Daz555

Guest AndyCr15

It's not just HTC telling you that, most people that know batteries will tell you that. Search in thread back when the HTC Desire came out, there will be people saying the same things as you, but no-one thinks it has a battery issue now. In fact, when I did my Galaxy S review, I commented battery life at that point was appalling, it's just a fact of tech that you have to run the battery in.

Guest mwright
It's not just HTC telling you that, most people that know batteries will tell you that. Search in thread back when the HTC Desire came out, there will be people saying the same things as you, but no-one thinks it has a battery issue now. In fact, when I did my Galaxy S review, I commented battery life at that point was appalling, it's just a fact of tech that you have to run the battery in.

Hmm perhaps badly worded. What I was trying to say is that HTC (and others) say you can't be certain about how the battery behaves before 10 days. But Orange only give me 7 days to decide about the phone. Therefore I either have to return the phone on day 7 when the battery life might not have sorted itself out, or keep the phone and, perhaps, find out that the battery life does not get any better!

Basically I have to decide tonight if I want to keep the phone or not. The last time I can return it is by calling them tomorrow morning.

Guest ghostofcain
I wonder what i'm doing wrong then... my N1 lasts much longer, my G2 lasts longer still.

*shrugs*

P

I am getting better life out of my DHD after 5 days than I ever was out of my Magic, certainly I get a full days usage (9 hours+) without a stretch, I do have SetCPU running in on demand mode wether that makes any odds?

Guest AndyCr15
I wonder what i'm doing wrong then... my N1 lasts much longer, my G2 lasts longer still.

Hmm, check what's syncing? Was one of the big changes for me. Why on earth would I want my Facebook feed syncing every hour?!?! I don't want it at all! (Turns back on after reboot :) )

Guest squalllion1uk
Hmm, check what's syncing? Was one of the big changes for me. Why on earth would I want my Facebook feed syncing every hour?!?! I don't want it at all! (Turns back on after reboot :) )

+1 tweaked mine last night only used 5% during the night lol but forgot I had a news feed syncing every 5 mins -.-'

So battery life can be good xD

Guest squalllion1uk
Same here. I can't make a whole day... I do not have ANY scheduled sync but one GMail account.

My N1 lasted up to 3 times more ...

DHD disappoints.

You've had it for how long?

Remember these batteries need conditioning.

Guest AndyCr15

No one should be slagging it off unless they've had it for 10 days, it just isn't fair.

Just in case people still don't believe -

It is the first phone to use the 1 GHz MSM8255 Scorpion CPU. This second generation Snapdragon processor uses a low-power 45 nm process technology for higher integration and efficiency, and more than doubles the performance of the Adreno 200 GPU. This allows for longer talk and standby times than the original HTC Desire even with a smaller capacity battery.

Taken from Mugen, battery experts - http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/htc/htc-desire-hd.html

Guest squalllion1uk
No one should be slagging it off unless they've had it for 10 days, it just isn't fair.

Just in case people still don't believe -

Taken from Mugen, battery experts - http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/htc/htc-desire-hd.html

Just to make a point

Here are the results of some searches for you:

"HTC Desire HD battery problem" - 1,720,000 hits

"HTC Desire battery problem" - 1,750,000 hits

"Samsung Galaxy S battery problem" - 11,300,000 hits

"iPhone 4 battery problem" - 42,100,000 hits

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...266&page=25 -Source

Lets be fair do you need every single app updated every 5 mins? No I very much doubt it , Do you need 3g etc 24/7? Then switch it off when your not using it why not? It takes 10 seconds to pop back on.....

The only real issue I see with the phone is the loud speaker.

Also tsk tsk paul :)

ps- Anything on the perma rooting front :)

Edited by squalllion1uk

Guest keef319

If I use Juice Defender I can get around 18hrs, and that includes ACTUAL use...not just leaving it on standby.

Still tinkering a bit to find my ideal setup in terms of what I have sync'ing etc...

Battery life on my DHD is bad. On my n1 I had Seido 1600mhA and the phone lasted 14 hours on hard usage, like email, calls etc plus 1,5h of stereo bluetooth music everyday.

Same situation and my DHD arrives with short breath at the 8th hour... Bad

Good news the new SETCPU update allow to use it on the DHD and with some tweaking with profiles I hit 11 hours. Problem is that when I turn on the screen I experience 3 or 4 sec of big lag due to the cpu low speed when screen is out.

Anyway this worked for me... Waiting for a maugen or seido replecemnt

Guest mwright
If I use Juice Defender I can get around 18hrs, and that includes ACTUAL use...not just leaving it on standby.

Still tinkering a bit to find my ideal setup in terms of what I have sync'ing etc...

Thanks for the pointer!

I have installed this - and it does seem to make a difference. I will try it out for a couple of days and see how much of a difference it makes.

Thanks

Mike

I've had mine a while now and i'm still not particularly impressed, my G2 or Z still pretty comprehensively outlast it.

I agree however there are some real optimisations that can be made to make the most of the battery...!

P

Guest ange335

For me battery life @ DHD is much better than Desire and HD2!

Forget the specs, 1230 mAh, ok, but the processor saves more Power, also SLCD need less Power than AMOLED and so on...

With my userprofile the Desire HD has the most accourate Battery from this 3 Devices.

My usage:

Appointment management, navigation from appointment to apponitment (about 5 a day, about 10km driving point to point), about 2 hours in/outbound voicecalls,

check mails 2 accounts all 15.min @ peak time (08.00-18.00), use client database about half an hour....

When driving and navgating the phone is on the car charger!

So, HD2 and Desire was half gone when i´m finished, at the DHD there is only the first green part of the battery status missing!!

So this confirmes the Battery have less mAh for sure, but the question is what the device make of it!

PS: I´m interested how HD7 will do this job, it is the old Platform from HD2 @Qualcomm QSD8250 wiht the same "poor" battery :rolleyes:

Edited by ange335

Guest Spikey001

I would be inclined to agree!

A friend has got the desire and it is starting to look like the dhd could outlast it!!

When I first had my dhd the battery life was appalling, but iv had it just over a week now and it does seem to be getting better, lasted a whole day yday with quite heavy usage!

(Calls/txting, Internet browsing and downloading, navigation, watching and recording videos, taking pictures, playing a game and listening to music)

So perhaps this 10 day rule is actually going to prove true and will be able to get a days full usage without any problem!!?

Guest keef319

I only use Juice Defender on days when I know I wont have a plug nearby. However, my DHD has been off charge for 19hrs now and has about 15% left. It's REALLY NOT THAT BAD!! My Hero was worse than that, as is my wife's Desire!