DHD Battery Life

Guest mwright

Reboot the phone, or at least lower sync time of things you don't need so often, maybe kill the apps that want to sync something, but reboot should be fine.

Battery usage of calendar is pretty weird... How often and how many calendars do you sync?

Reboot the phone, or at least lower sync time of things you don't need so often, maybe kill the apps that want to sync something, but reboot should be fine.

Battery usage of calendar is pretty weird... How often and how many calendars do you sync?

only one calendar, but the list in battery monitor includes almost every app that has background sync capability. Its very strange, cant get to bottom of this but certainly looks like what's killing the battery.

Since I turned off ANY sync to Google from the phone my battery life has increased by 30-40%...

Since then I can comfortably get through the day (8 - midnight (1am)) with no additional charing and moderate to extreme use...

p.s.

Did you enable USB Debugging to fix the /INIT bug?

Edited by BrAb

Originally Posted by htc

Dear XXXX XXXXXX,

Dear XXXX, HTC and Sprint are taking steps to improve observed battery life. HTC is developing a number of handset software optimizations that are expected to increase device operating times. These up-dates are expected to be available as part of software pushes scheduled for later this summer. As with any software development effort, we cannot provide an exact date. Additionally, Sprint is working to optimize 4G network settings to improve battery life for customers in 4G markets. I will be happy to go over various setting with you that will help extend the battery life.

-Traditionally WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, and display brightness all greatly impact battery performance.

-With Android 2.1 another feature that can kill your battery are the Live Wallpapers. If you’re using Live Wallpaper just turn if off.

-Adjust the Brightness of the display (Menu | Settings | Sound & Display | Brightness). By default it is set to auto adjust but you can manually adjust it down.

-Consider adjusting the display timeout (Menu | Settings | Sound & Display | Screen Timeout). The default value is 1 minute but you can reduce it to as low as 15 sec but 30 seconds.

-By default your HTC Incredible vibrates every time you press a key. Turn it off by un-checking the box ‘Vibrate when typing’. Menu | Settings | Language & Keyboards | Touch Input | Text Input | Vibrate when typing.

-If Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Email, App up-dates, or many other things are constantly popping notifications, consider turning some of them off as notifications do impact battery performance; This is done in each app.

To also help with Battery Life you can do these steps exactly:

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more

2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour

3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well.

HTC has received some reports regarding this issue with the screen seperation, and are currently analyzing the potential causes. Most customers are not reporting any issue related to this problem. The issue appears to be cosmetic and should not affect the operation of the device. Additional information will be provided after we finish our investigation of the issue. If you have any other questions or concerns please Reply back to this email or give us a call at our HTC Technical Support Line, 1-866-449-8358.

I want to thank you for contacting HTC. In order to help improve our service I’d like to invite you to take a survey at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide, you can also checkout http://shopamerica.htc.com/homebrands/index.htm for more information. HTC Technical Support http://www.HTC.com http://www.Facebook.com/HTC http://www.YouTube.com/user/HTC http://www.Twitter.com/HTC

What I love about these generic e-mails from the manufacturers is that basically their theory goes:

Turn off anything that makes the phone great and special and it will work great...

If you turn off/don't use everything that they suggest you might as well be using Motorola StarTAC...it will provide about the same using pleasure...

Edited by BrAb

right, there was definitely something wrong with my setup. basically the calendar took up majority of the battery use, i still have no idea why that's the case but it stopped after I done a factory reset.

I personally dont like switch off all the sync setting, i think the whole point of having a smart phone is that i can get the latest update/email all the time.

using VISIONary temp root + SetCPU to under clock has significantly increased battery life it seems, but i ll see if any of the old problems come back.

still have no clue why Calendar took up so much power though, puzzled.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I'd be very tempted by a DHD if it weren't for the battery life. YES, it's no longer a phone and is a portable computer. If I wanted huge battery life, Id get a nokia. BUT, I think it is to be expected that it lasts from the time someone gets up until they go to bed with "normal" usage. If it's expected to need recharging halfway through the day, then HTC should supply a portable charging solution (USB Battery pack!).

I'm sure Mugen will release a far greater battery shortly ... but for me, it may be too late as the next handset might be out.

Guest skinnypupp

3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour

Is it just me, or are these instructions completely illogical?

Step 2, unplug the device and charge for an hour? How can you charge it if it is unplugged?

Step 3 unplug the device.. didn't we do that in step 2?

I think someone is jerking you around with those instructions

3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour

Is it just me, or are these instructions completely illogical?

Step 2, unplug the device and charge for an hour? How can you charge it if it is unplugged?

Step 3 unplug the device.. didn't we do that in step 2?

I think someone is jerking you around with those instructions

The comment "charge for 1 hour" suggests that you plug it back in again!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it helps a bit. I did it. Even if it boots into recovery, just let it charge.

And to make a complete description how to do it:

1, take your phone

2, go to a plug

3, plug in the charger

4, plug in the micro-usb into the phone

5, let it charge to 100%, so the led is green

6, unplug the micro-usb

7, turn off the device

8, plug the micro-usb in

9, let it charge until the led is green

10, unplug the micro-usb

11, turn device on

12, let it boot completely

13, turn the device off

14, plug the micro-usb in

15, let it charge until the led goes green

16, wipe battery stats if you have S-OFF and custom recovery

17, unplug the device

18, boot

and let us know if you noticed any change!

Guest julians

I just got my desire HD a couple of days ago, and I think the battery life is excellent, its as least as good as my old hero if not slightly better.

Its lasting a good 36-48 hours. I have it configured as follows:-

- everything default, except for:-

- Bluetooth on

- wifi on

- gps on

- exchange mail account configured for push mail syncing calendar,contacts and mail

- no twitter/facebook etc

- weather and stocks updating every 3 hours

I was concerned that the battery might be terrible from reading the reviews, but I'm really pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

My DHD has settled into normal use now and I have no problem making it well past a full day and into the second. Standby drain is about 3-5mA running the FriendStream, Email & Weatherbug widgets.

Some games absolutely smash the battery though - Need For Speed Shift being a notable example.

Guest LoneThread

My DHD has been fine since the day I got it. It was charged for over 12 hours before I started using it. I get a good 6-8 hours of intensive usage and over night the battery only goes down by 8-10% with Sync enabled for Facebook, GMail, etc.

However someone I know also has a DHD but branded to T-Mobile and this has awful battery performance. Doesn't even last 2 hours of Intensive usage and he's had it for over a week now. I wonder if T-Mobile have added something that eats the battery life up?

I think it helps a bit. I did it. Even if it boots into recovery, just let it charge.

And to make a complete description how to do it:

1, take your phone

2, go to a plug

3, plug in the charger

4, plug in the micro-usb into the phone

5, let it charge to 100%, so the led is green

6, unplug the micro-usb

7, turn off the device

8, plug the micro-usb in

9, let it charge until the led is green

10, unplug the micro-usb

11, turn device on

12, let it boot completely

13, turn the device off

14, plug the micro-usb in

15, let it charge until the led goes green

16, wipe battery stats if you have S-OFF and custom recovery

17, unplug the device

18, boot

and let us know if you noticed any change!

it doesn't work!

the other day i charged my phone to 100%

when i let it on charge while my phone was turned off...

the battery actually went down to 99% when i turned it back on ( still plugged in )

and in spare parts i noticed it said the screen used 100%

really...this sucks, i used to perform the following 'trick' with my Hero

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=701567 which really worked well...

but now, because of the recovery thing, i can't do it anymore :unsure:

I just got my desire HD a couple of days ago, and I think the battery life is excellent, its as least as good as my old hero if not slightly better.

Its lasting a good 36-48 hours. I have it configured as follows:-

- everything default, except for:-

- Bluetooth on

- wifi on

- gps on

- exchange mail account configured for push mail syncing calendar,contacts and mail

- no twitter/facebook etc

- weather and stocks updating every 3 hours

I was concerned that the battery might be terrible from reading the reviews, but I'm really pleasantly surprised.

Hahahaha, no way is that true. Please make a screenshot of your juiceplotter graph and post it here.

Guest julians

post-31161-1294505627_thumb.jpg

here you go, I unplugged this morning just before 0800, its now 16:40, and its used 18%. That should pan out to about ~40 hours total run time, but I'll take another shot when I get there.

This is as per my original post, I've made a few calls, checked some emails (email is set to push), checked the market for updates, weather/stocks update every 3 hours etc, fire up juiceplotter a few times. It also running current widget and logging the current drain to a file every 10 minutes.

Just for the record, it seems to use 2ma on standby, and 175ma when playing angry birds.

Guest julians

post-31161-1294565738_thumb.jpg

OK, another update after ~25.5 hours.

I plugged the phone in to the usb cable last night to transfer some files, this charged it by approx 8% which you can see on the graph, the battery is currently at 68%, so if you take this 8% off that takes it to 60% remaining after 25.5 hours, so at the moment I'm on course for well over 48 hours run time.

Guest CitizenLee

Just got 32hrs on a single charge before I eventually plugged it in at 4%

WiFi or 3G the whole time

Google sync 1 hr

Weather sync 3hrs

Facebook sync 4hrs

Flickr sync once a day

Brightness to 25%

All animations on

All 7 homescreens used with average 8 shortcuts / widgets on each

USB debugging on

1hr+ web browsing

1/2hr+ on Facebook app

x2 10 minute phone calls

10+ SMS

Sent a few emails

Updated 16 or so Market apps

Other stuff I forget... just messing around with it etc!

I don't use JuiceDefender or any task killers and that was only the 4th or 5th time I have charged the phone since new last week :D

Running Android Revolution HD 2.0.3 btw.

• 5 weeks later...

Tried this yesterday...

So far today I have only managed to get 8hrs and 33 mins of use and my battery is now at 14%...

I'm a heavy user but this is actually worse than what I was getting before. I could manage about 12 hours at least.... this is just nuts... Have to put is back on charger as am going out in 20 mins and can't afford for it to die on me...

Any thoughts?

I'm on 3 uk. I have wifi on pretty much all the time. Synch Gmail, apps, facebook, ebuddy and skype continuously. I use the phone pretty much all the time. Had hoped to be able to get at least 16 hours out of it though....

Ideas?

thanks in advance...

ps. don't know it if is using too many mA or mV etc... what should I be looking out for? I am using the Battery Monito Widget. Could that be running battery down too much?

Forgot to mention that I've had the phone less than a week now... so it might be the case that the battery is still conditioning itself... but not sure it should be this bad....

Edited by Saif

Installed 'Green Power Free' last night and that appears to have made a huge difference to things.

I think it is wifi being on all the time that is killing the battery... will try to work around that and see how it goes...

I have the mobile network off at the moment at my data plan won't kick in for another week due to my billing cycle... grrrr.... major hassle

Cheers

s

Guest theoriginalrazzel

Hey fellow DHD users i would just like to say that i have owned my DHD for just over a month now and with the stock HTC rom, (phone purchased from carphone warehouse) my phone now runs for about 36h with plenty of phone calls and internet usage over the wifi. Might not come as a surprise to say i notice my battery life significantly improved by regulating the mobile data connection and routinely force closing any non essential apps. I really love this phone now, I have to admit the battery life really killed it for me at the start but now the phone is a dream.