Live wallpapers lags?

Guest Koki1337

Guest Koki1337

Well I was trying to run live wallpapers on Liquid E with Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher.

Both really lags when live wallpaper is running.

I did Google searches and most of them said they're not lagging even on Eclair.

Any tips/hints on this?

Guest Morris Lee
Well I was trying to run live wallpapers on Liquid E with Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher.

Both really lags when live wallpaper is running.

I did Google searches and most of them said they're not lagging even on Eclair.

Any tips/hints on this?

It is not eclair or froyo, it is launcher pro and adw launcher's problem. Original launcher should run it better

Guest Delnar_Ersike

It depends on what live wallpaper you are using. The ones made for the Samsung Galaxy S, for example, lag on almost all other devices not in the SGS's price range. If all live wallpapers are lagging (including the basic ones like Grass), you should check your running processes to see if anything useless is running in the background. For example, people frequently forget to kill/uninstall their old launcher when switching to a new one. Also, having too many widgets and/or enabling scrollable widgets does also slow down your device.

Guest Morris Lee
It depends on what live wallpaper you are using. The ones made for the Samsung Galaxy S, for example, lag on almost all other devices not in the SGS's price range. If all live wallpapers are lagging (including the basic ones like Grass), you should check your running processes to see if anything useless is running in the background. For example, people frequently forget to kill/uninstall their old launcher when switching to a new one. Also, having too many widgets and/or enabling scrollable widgets does also slow down your device.

I checked the above that you mentioned, i only have launcher pro under LCR F. Static wallpaper runs liquidly smooth

Guest Delnar_Ersike

It's probably background process then that are slowing it down; that, or the CPU governor is set to something other than ondemand. I have noticed that the amount of free RAM is significantly lower on FroYo ROMs than on Eclair ones (I usually had ~80 MB free on average in Eclair and only ~30 MB free on average in FroYo; also note that I have an A1, not a Liquid E, and I'm running the stock .504b bin, not LCR-F), though I doubt that would be a problem for Liquid E's.

In case you're checking background processes, take a look at the services running on your device. Also check the reported free RAM to see if it's abnormally low. You could also try changing your LauncherPro settings to make the device seem faster (for example, set minimum scroll speed to 40, set preview opening speed to 8, set app drawer opening speed to 6).

Guest Koki1337
I checked the above that you mentioned, i only have launcher pro under LCR F. Static wallpaper runs liquidly smooth

Yes it does, but having live wallpapers would be great no?

It's probably background process then that are slowing it down; that, or the CPU governor is set to something other than ondemand. I have noticed that the amount of free RAM is significantly lower on FroYo ROMs than on Eclair ones (I usually had ~80 MB free on average in Eclair and only ~30 MB free on average in FroYo; also note that I have an A1, not a Liquid E, and I'm running the stock .504b bin, not LCR-F), though I doubt that would be a problem for Liquid E's.

In case you're checking background processes, take a look at the services running on your device. Also check the reported free RAM to see if it's abnormally low. You could also try changing your LauncherPro settings to make the device seem faster (for example, set minimum scroll speed to 40, set preview opening speed to 8, set app drawer opening speed to 6).

I tried on both ADW and Lancher Pro with the minimum quality, still lags

Running on 768MHz and no task managers used to kill apps and such.

Guest Master_T

The lag is not the main problem, the amount of battery live wallpapers drain, at least to my experience, is absurdly high. I'd stick to static ones if I were you...

Guest Delnar_Ersike
I tried on both ADW and Lancher Pro with the minimum quality, still lags

Running on 768MHz and no task managers used to kill apps and such.

What I'm trying to say is that contrary to what almost everyone says in the forums, task managers can, in fact, boost performance, depending on how you use them. For example, killing the Market app when you're not using it might cause it to load slower when you start it up again, and the memory you free is technically "wasted RAM", but in low-memory situations, that "wasted RAM" is far from wasted; instead, processes like android.process.acore (LauncherPro) can use that extra 4MB of RAM to cache homescreens without having the OOM killer kill it. Or what about a widget that runs in the background even when you haven't placed it anywhere? Point being, if you have an app that has task killing function built-in (like AutoKiller Memory Optimizer or Autorun Killer), take a look at the processes and services running in the background, kill the ones you don't think you'll need, and see if it improves performance.

Guest Morris Lee
What I'm trying to say is that contrary to what almost everyone says in the forums, task managers can, in fact, boost performance, depending on how you use them. For example, killing the Market app when you're not using it might cause it to load slower when you start it up again, and the memory you free is technically "wasted RAM", but in low-memory situations, that "wasted RAM" is far from wasted; instead, processes like android.process.acore (LauncherPro) can use that extra 4MB of RAM to cache homescreens without having the OOM killer kill it. Or what about a widget that runs in the background even when you haven't placed it anywhere? Point being, if you have an app that has task killing function built-in (like AutoKiller Memory Optimizer or Autorun Killer), take a look at the processes and services running in the background, kill the ones you don't think you'll need, and see if it improves performance.

I check my memory, I had 160mb avaliable, force it to performance on the govenor and 768 on both sliders. One Launcher - Launcher Pro. still lag with grass. I have all static widgets, search bar, stock froyo weather refreshs every 30 min, one row on switch pro, 4 icons on each 5 screens, that is all.

This issue was also seen when I had eclair, froyo actually was only ever slightly better over eclair on this part. If you use the 2.1 launcher, the app scrolling is still smooth as it seems to pause the live wallpaper when you are in app drawer. However, LauncherPro seems to forgot that part, hence the extreme lag if you are in the app drawer, regardless 3D drawer or not.

Morris Lee

Guest Koki1337
I check my memory, I had 160mb avaliable, force it to performance on the govenor and 768 on both sliders. One Launcher - Launcher Pro. still lag with grass. I have all static widgets, search bar, stock froyo weather refreshs every 30 min, one row on switch pro, 4 icons on each 5 screens, that is all.

This issue was also seen when I had eclair, froyo actually was only ever slightly better over eclair on this part. If you use the 2.1 launcher, the app scrolling is still smooth as it seems to pause the live wallpaper when you are in app drawer. However, LauncherPro seems to forgot that part, hence the extreme lag if you are in the app drawer, regardless 3D drawer or not.

Morris Lee

I tried running on one launcher each time, it still lags :\

Guest K.L.Maxwell

Yeah, I can confirm that Live Wallpapers and LCR1.1 do not seem to get on well with each other: I have the same problems as Koki1337, and I had tested those live wallpapers with other roms and they never made Launcher pro lag... :-\

Guest Koki1337
Yeah, I can confirm that Live Wallpapers and LCR1.1 do not seem to get on well with each other: I have the same problems as Koki1337, and I had tested those live wallpapers with other roms and they never made Launcher pro lag... :-\

Hmm? What launcher did you use on other ROMs?

Guest K.L.Maxwell

Launcher pro...

It lags when I open the application menu, something that never used to happen before...

Edited by K.L.Maxwell

Guest Quipeace

The waveform live wallpaper isn't too bad, the problem is that both LauncherPro and ADW leave the wallpaper running in the background when the app drawer is open, which is a shame.

Guest Morris Lee

seems like it is how stock ROM or LCRF(modified from stock) handles the wallpaper... Maybe LauncherPro does not like it?

The video above demonstrated that a live wallpaper can handle every animation perfectly with 600mhz CPU, what is going on here?

Guest K.L.Maxwell

The weird thing is that live wallpapers make launcher pro lag only with LCR Rom (at least in my case)... Maybe we should let the devs know so that they can check and look for the reason...?

Guest Koki1337
The weird thing is that live wallpapers make launcher pro lag only with LCR Rom (at least in my case)... Maybe we should let the devs know so that they can check and look for the reason...?

Somehow I realize this too. On MIUI, it's smooth

Guest Morris Lee

My old broken LG Rumor(non smartphone) can handle live wallpaper without any issue with whatever crappy OS it is got on. Doesn't slow the phone down either. However, that phone's live wallpaper is like 10fps based. HAHA

Morris Lee

Guest Koki1337
Does it lag after reseting LP settings to default ? I suspect a LP setting to cause the lag but which one ?

I did, it lags even with Nexus running

Third party ones are laggy

Grass is also laggy when scrolling between home screens and the app drawer

Luminescence is laggy, finger swipes are delaying with at least 1/4 of a second there

Guest Morris Lee
I did, it lags even with Nexus running

Third party ones are laggy

Grass is also laggy when scrolling between home screens and the app drawer

Luminescence is laggy, finger swipes are delaying with at least 1/4 of a second there

They all lag!!!

Guest Koki1337
They all lag!!!

Yup, they do.

I tried on MIUI, it runs fine somehow.

Before this while running on stock Eclair (was about 2 months ago when I first bought the phone) I used the Grass live wallpaper.

Lag is just... tolerable I guess? Barely noticeable