Lag - /init 100% CPU

Guest joners

Anyone else finding that their phones cpu spikes to 100%, OS monitor shows it to be /INIT process (PID 1). Seems to happen randomly and keep the cpu maxed out until the phone is rebooted.

The CPU getting battered like it is, causes the entire system to crawl to a halt and the battery to loose a significant amount of charge.

There is a thread over at XDA in the Desire HD General with quite a few others that are having the same issue. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=826507

Oh! This is on the latest OTA 1.132.405.6

init.rc file is attached if anyone knows what to look for.

Any suggestions?

init.rc.txt

Edited by joners

Guest mamoulian
Any suggestions?

The fix, oddly, is to turn on USB debugging... which a lot of people have already done to use Visionary, explaining why not everyone's seen the init problem.

No idea why this should fix it... but I had it *and it does.

(*I turned off debugging to see if it stopped random reboots... jury's still out on that one but I hadn't had a random reboot until I turned it back on again...)

• 1 month later...
Guest mike3000
The fix, oddly, is to turn on USB debugging... which a lot of people have already done to use Visionary, explaining why not everyone's seen the init problem.

No idea why this should fix it... but I had it *and it does.

(*I turned off debugging to see if it stopped random reboots... jury's still out on that one but I hadn't had a random reboot until I turned it back on again...)

This fix works for me, but i have a follow up question. Do you think the init process cuases lag due to an installed app, or would this occur on a freshly restored phone as well. I wonder if it is a core android function causing this or an app i installed? Any help would be appreciated

• 4 weeks later...
Do you think the init process cuases lag due to an installed app, or would this occur on a freshly restored phone as well. I wonder if it is a core android function causing this or an app i installed? Any help would be appreciated

I have the same issue on a Stock Legend, so it may be somthing HTC did or somthing wrong with core android

• 1 month later...
Guest SonnySoul

This was common among a number of Android 2.2 devices, not just the Desire HD.

Turning on USB debugging is a work around, but the update to Android 2.2.1 fixes this issue (without having to turn on USB debugging).

• 3 months later...
Guest AbeFM

Eeeps! I've been having this issue, as well, on my HTC Glacier (T-Mobile MyTouch4G).

The only issue is, it comes with 2.2.1

"baseband version" 12.228b.60.140eU_26.03.02.26_M

Not sure which info is most relevant.

as often as 4 times a day (sometimes I can go a few days without it, though) the phone will peg to 80-100% as described above, and nothing save a reboot will bring it back.

So, aside from providing that data point... can I (on stock firmware) turn on USB debugging? How?

I don't want to upgrade, lose all my installed aps (is there an easy way to re-install them all?) - only to find I still have this issue.

Thanks everyone, this is the only real problem in an otherwise very nice phone.