Need help upgrading

Guest BE_Error

Guest BE_Error

*NOOB ALERT*

Greetings fellow Liquid users,

I just bought my first smartphone with Android, the Acer Liquid S100 and I'm absolutely loving it.

I seem to have overlooked one minor detail though, while deciding which phone to go for.

I bought the Liquid and expected the phone to be running Android 1.6 with an official upgrade to 2.1, however the belgian Liquids don't have an upgrade available from Acer.

I would still like to upgrade to 2.1 or even to 2.2, but after reading numerous threads on numerous forums, I feel rather lost in all the techtalk.

Simply put, I'm officially scared out of my pants to brick my Liquid and would like for someone to sacrifice some of their time to run me through the whole process of getting 2.1 or 2.2 running on my Liquid, with as little risk as possible.

I would be ever so grateful if someone took the time to type it all out for me :)

This is the current info on my Liquid:

Model Number: Liquid

Firmware Version: 1.6

Baseband Version: A1-02.01.03

Kernel version: 2.6.29

Build Number: Acer_Liquid_2.000.16_EMEA_CUS2

Guest BE_Error
If you have read a lot and know how it is done

Well, there lies my biggest problem, I have no clue on how to proceed.

I've read this thread, and this tutorial.

I downloaded all the files, but I'm not sure this is the way to go as the tutorial describes a Liquid E and I'm on an A1?

Do I need anything else apart from those files? Does the phone have to be rooted before I would upgrade the bin?

Is it safe to just upgrade the bin?

Acer_LiquidE_4.504b.00_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05 is the BIN you need to use for 1.6 to get to 2.2

Read this page

http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-commu...uidCommunityROM

and the parent page http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-commu...rom-bugtracker/

And this thread for Rooting (you do not have to read the full thread)

http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...easy-installer/

And MalezRecovery web page http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-malez-recovery/

Then you will be set (or have more questions)

Edited by gwilo

Guest Koki1337
Well, there lies my biggest problem, I have no clue on how to proceed.

I've read this thread, and this tutorial.

I downloaded all the files, but I'm not sure this is the way to go as the tutorial describes a Liquid E and I'm on an A1?

Do I need anything else apart from those files? Does the phone have to be rooted before I would upgrade the bin?

Is it safe to just upgrade the bin?

Firstly, don't be afraid and NEVER EVER take off the USB cable while flashing a bin

The second guide by Dario93 solves my doubts, I would highly recommend following his guide.

The Liquid E works with the Acer A1 Tools (this is proven by my own device)

A1 = Liquid

S100 = Liquid E

When I did mine it took about 1 hour, with doing several back-up, copying the contents of the SD card to my PC, reloading the contents from the PC back to SD after petitioning the SD card for APPS2SD.

At no time did I feel lost or confused on what to do.

Also I mention LCR-F as the ROM, but you can use any of the ROM's that are in this forum

Guest BE_Error

Right, I just succeeded in flashing the 1.6 GEN1 with the Acer DLTool, and then proceeded to upgrade to 2.1 with succes!

Thanks for the advice, guys! I knew I had to ask for advice here ;-)

I will probably be looking into the LCR soon, it intrigues me to see what is different about it, I'll be sure to keep reading up in this forum!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go change my pants, because this was possibly the most thrilling hour of the past year for me.

Guest Koki1337
Right, I just succeeded in flashing the 1.6 GEN1 with the Acer DLTool, and then proceeded to upgrade to 2.1 with succes!

Thanks for the advice, guys! I knew I had to ask for advice here ;-)

I will probably be looking into the LCR soon, it intrigues me to see what is different about it, I'll be sure to keep reading up in this forum!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go change my pants, because this was possibly the most thrilling hour of the past year for me.

Congratulations :)

Get on with 2.2!

Oh, I forgot to add in my first post.

Why would you want to take a perfectly good working phone and mess around with it?

Acer is a big company and they know what is best for us, if you really needed the update they would have given it to you

(sarcasm)

Guest BE_Error
Oh, I forgot to add in my first post.

Why would you want to take a perfectly good working phone and mess around with it?

Acer is a big company and they know what is best for us, if you really needed the update they would have given it to you

(sarcasm)

Well, contacting the custom care has been... interesting, to say the least :)

I'm still trying to figure out why Belgium needs a different ROM from the rest of Europe.

Acer hasn't responded to it, and I highly doubt they will.

I'm guessing it has to do with the software delivered alongside Android, but I can't seem to pinpoint which app is different.