StreakDroid FroYo v1.4.2 - Announcement Thread

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest digthemlows

Battery Life is waaaaaaaay better on 1.3 compared to 1.1.1 for me............I skipped 1.2 so??? ........ I did have to reload a bunch of apps, for some reason My Backup Pro didn't play well this time?? Things seem to be working pretty well now..........had issues with GMail not updating as fast as it used to, but a few restarts and it seem good now........I think 1.3 is much nicer than 1.1.1 and am quite happy with it...........using ADW instead of Dell's crap though...........not sure I liked that.........maybe I'll play with it later today

will this work with 1.3?

please try it.

let me know if it does not and I will try to compile a new one.

for now, I will not try 1.3.0...

it does work, thanks again

Guest symbiotix
Sounds like your install got corrupted somehow. Try this,

Flash 1.11 and let it boot into the ui,

Factory reset (optional: it has worked for me without it, but sounds like you may need it) Let it boot into the ui

Flash 1.3 and you should be all set.

Thanks for the responses!

This is what I planned on doing, yet I'm not sure how to copy the 1.1.1 back to my SD card (considering my device wont boot, and I don't have a card reader)

Guest adzman808
Thanks for the responses!

This is what I planned on doing, yet I'm not sure how to copy the 1.1.1 back to my SD card (considering my device wont boot, and I don't have a card reader)

You'll need a micro sd to sd adaptor or another device that takes micro sd and can be mounted as a usb device...an old nokia maybe?

Without 1 of these you're kinda screwed

Sorry mate

Guest jannism

Update: Seems some of the apps I restored with Titanium backup didn't play nice. Uninstalling and re-installing them seemed to do the trick. The cpu does scale now (it always did) so just the widely reported brightness thing (which isn't a problem).

Best build yet. :rolleyes:

Guest gillebob

Great work again steve,

Just another bug i haven't seen mentioned;

Camera FC, press record on video and the app crashes, when trying to open camera again getting "cannot connect to camera",

Rebooting allows use of the cam again but trying video always results in above.

Guest stalkachu
from one noob to another, in a word = no.

i've tried every release (except 1.3) & without going into l-o-n-g detail & just making me sound like i'm ungrateful to Steve, the first version is the best

if understand correctly, by staying on 1.1.1 you wont have call waiting or wifi tethering or 720p recording

but if you can live without these things (barnicle app fixes wifi tethering btw) then i personally found v1.0 to be the least buggy

but call waiting might be a must have for you,

i think also our collective results (which have to be measured against the fact there's no UAT for this*) are sufficently variable to suggest a "suck it & see"** approach to trying each release

cheers

*i swear some ppl wait for a new rom to boot past the dell logo then post on here that everything works, then come back a day later asking about tethering or some other much discussed known issue :rolleyes:

**if the pospect of losing all data/settings/apps makes you unhappy about flashing your phone a few times a week then IMHO i'd wait a month or so, let the official 2.2 hit home, then see what the developers do with it, see what bugs come out of (& go into!) the new release, then select a rom (either official or unofficial) that best suits you.

Cheers man. Much appreciated for the feedback and advice.

One more question, sorry to be a leech:

Is there a guide for a 1.0 install? Everything seems to be produced presuming we're starting at 1.1.1, but just wondering if there's an older guide. I had a look around, but the threads get really long and difficult to find.

Much much much appreciated,

Cheers,

Oli

Guest untrueparadox

Is there a guide for a 1.0 install? Everything seems to be produced presuming we're starting at 1.1.1, but just wondering if there's an older guide. I had a look around, but the threads get really long and difficult to find.

Cheers,

Oli

install 1.1.1 over 1.0. factory reset and install 1.3

Guest symbiotix
You'll need a micro sd to sd adaptor or another device that takes micro sd and can be mounted as a usb device...an old nokia maybe?

Without 1 of these you're kinda screwed

Sorry mate

Back up and running, thanks for the support all! :rolleyes:

Guest moto_user
Has anyone installed this OVER 1.2? Rather than do a clean sweep and them install 1.3

i have, all i did was download v1.3, connect my streak to my comp, dragged v1.3 inside sdcard, disconnected streak from comp (safely), power off streak, go into clockwork mod (hold both volume buttons and power button),

select the 2nd option, once in clockwork mod, select the "install from sdcard" option, scroll down until you find the v1.3 upgrade (you dont have to rename it), select it (use volume button to navigate and camera button to choose)

install it (it takes a little while), once its done installing, click on the back button from the streak, reboot it (should be first option), wait until it reboots, when the dell logo comes, just wait patiently, it seems like its taking forever, but just

wait, then finally youll see the colored dell logo, then wait a bit more until you feel the vibration, then its on v1.3..

that pretty much what i did, and its working great..cant complain..

hope it helps..

Guest untrueparadox
Has anyone installed this OVER 1.2? Rather than do a clean sweep and them install 1.3

u SHOULD really do a clean sweep by factory reset by downgrading to 1.1.1 i've gotten a few force closes on the camera, a few apps, etc before i reset the device and now everything works except the noted bugs. (i tried cleaning the dalvik cache before factory resetting and it didn't work)

Don't think this has been reported yet; have upgraded to 1.3 and was just fiddling with the video camera this morning. It appears as though trying to record video using the main (ie rear) camera causes the app to crash (as has been covered elsewhere) , but the phone is quite happy to record video using the (now working) front cam. No idea why, I'm afraid!

Keep up the good work chaps.

Edited by PaulZR

Now you can record video using the custom setting(wide screen mode) and WVGA and the quality is pretty good( It still has that annoying sentence"This is a audio file only" after 10 sec of playback) But once you select 720p that where the camera app force close and needs a reboot to be functionally again.

Youtube app is fully functionally, doesn't break the auto rotation anymore.

Like most all the people here i too have issue with unable to select ringtones and brightness setting.(but i can do that using third party app like Extended Controls to set the brightness)

Thanks again Steve, alway looking forward to your next release

Edited by zeiger

Guest pompeyboyz

Followed through the steps on page 1 and after all the problems I had with doing 1.1.1 to 1.2 and fastboot, I can say it was a quick and painless move.

Thanks Steve for creating this and for others that have posted help that made it simple to understand and do.

My only critiques so far are that I am not overly enthused about the new white status bar at the top and the larger font size in general.

One small bug I think I have noticed is that where I have the signal type(ie edge, gprs etc) I am only getting 3G where I should be getting H. I have checked with a friend who has a Samsung Galaxy S running the official O2 2.1 Eclair and she has H. Is this something you're aware of Steve? I am running on an O2 Dell Streak. All APN's are exacly as supposed to be and I am sat in the O2 call centre in Leeds which has it's own HSDPA mast.

Guest adzman808

Cheers,

Oli

it's all about the same really

Speaking generally - the main "tricks" seem to be

makes sure you flash the new baseband for 1.2 onwards

and be aware the 1.2 (& onwards?) can't be factory reset

so if you had problems & wanted to clear data on 1.2/1.3 & start again with a fresh 1.2/1.3 build, you need to dump 1.1.1 (or 1.1) on the SD card, flash it as per normal process, then factory reset, let it boot & then reinstall 1.2/1.3

I've attached a guide that you've probably seen already (it's got its own pinned topic) but i found it really helpful

What_you_need_to_know_about_the_Dell_Streak___PDF.pdf

Guest vinokirk
My only critiques so far are that I am not overly enthused about the new white status bar at the top and the larger font size in general.

You might be able to set a difefrent lcd_density value in build.prop to make the fonts smaller. But this could mess up Dells stage UI, if you use it that is.

Does 1.3 still have the video playback problems? i.e. green lines at top and 'this is an audio file only'

You might be able to set a difefrent lcd_density value in build.prop to make the fonts smaller. But this could mess up Dells stage UI, if you use it that is.

Does 1.3 still have the video playback problems? i.e. green lines at top and 'this is an audio file only'

No more green line but 'this is an audio file only' still remain

Guest pompeyboyz
One small bug I think I have noticed is that where I have the signal type(ie edge, gprs etc) I am only getting 3G where I should be getting H. I have checked with a friend who has a Samsung Galaxy S running the official O2 2.1 Eclair and she has H. Is this something you're aware of Steve? I am running on an O2 Dell Streak. All APN's are exacly as supposed to be and I am sat in the O2 call centre in Leeds which has it's own HSDPA mast.

On the back of this I have just carreid out a number of speed tests using the speedtest app. and things seem to be ok. Got average down speed of 1500kbps and average up sped of 870kbps.

As I am sat right near a cell site I think this is pretty darn good for HSDPA. Just need to get the Streak to show when it is HSDPA and not 3G :rolleyes:

Guest Adilson
Also can only record video using the front facing camera - the rear just locks up the camera app when you press record...

James

I confirmed that happens here too.

Also, I am having a regression here: at home my streak is connected via wifi. When I leave, it does not fall back to the cell network (3G or GSM). The phone works but there is no data flux. I need to put it in airplane mode and back or reboot it to work. I remember that was a problem I had with my Milestone and I am pretty sure it wasn't happening with previous versions of Steve's rom because that was one of the first things I tested.

Guest extrememonkey

Quick question: Is it worth me holding off from updating from 1.1.1 to 1.3 due to the baseband upgrade if I want to at least give the official 2.2 a try when released for O2???

Guest lbj23numb1
Also can only record video using the front facing camera - the rear just locks up the camera app when you press record...

James

If u go and change the settings from 720p then it wont lock up