How to: Install CM6.1 (beta 0.30), DTApps2SD, and OC kernel

Guest twrock

Guest wwwhizz
Yes, one would think that is true. "Logic" says that is true. Everything I know about how this should work says that is true. And I usually have no need to even consider doing it, so I "typically" don't.

But, having had experience with installs working differently after reflashing the updata.app than before reflashing, I'm not yet convinced that it doesn't matter. When things are not working and I can't figure out why, I have gone back on more than one occasion and started completely over and gotten different results. Maybe it is nothing more than I am more careful that final time, so I won't claim to know what the real reason is. Logic tells me that the problems are always "pilot error". But I can't deny that something seems to happen differently. :rolleyes:

Edit: regarding SD card formatting, I do it via a card reader and Gparted running in Ubuntu. I calculate out how much space I want for swap and ext2. I then make a fat32 partition at the beginning of the card sized to take up whatever I don't want in ext2 and swap. Then I make the ext2 partition, leaving 64mb for my swap file, and finally create the swap file.

The very first time I added swap I did it that way. But then later on I tried to do it via Recovery (can't remember which one) and failed entirely to get things working. (I know many others use Recovery just fine, but it didn't work for me.) But I've had the same card and the same partitioning for a long time now, so it isn't something I go back and redo often. I hope that doesn't mean I'm forgetting something.

Spanner44 has mentioned the Gparted live disk. I'd think that would have worked exactly the same as what I do, so I still have no explanation for why the two of you are having such frustrating results.

What is exactly the problem you guys talk about? Is it the same I had? I couldn't start apps installed through the market. I've solved it now, although I'm not sure which step actually fixed it. First, I've flashed the official 2.1, then reflashed CM6.1beta0.30 (using the update.zip Richard_Arkless posted) . Then I've reformatted my SD-card using the ROM Manager and disabled compcache in the CM6-settings... After a reboot everything was fine...

Edited by wwwhizz

Guest Richard_Arkless
Edit: regarding SD card formatting, I do it via a card reader and Gparted running in Ubuntu. I calculate out how much space I want for swap and ext2. I then make a fat32 partition at the beginning of the card sized to take up whatever I don't want in ext2 and swap. Then I make the ext2 partition, leaving 64mb for my swap file, and finally create the swap file.

The very first time I added swap I did it that way. But then later on I tried to do it via Recovery (can't remember which one) and failed entirely to get things working. (I know many others use Recovery just fine, but it didn't work for me.) But I've had the same card and the same partitioning for a long time now, so it isn't something I go back and redo often. I hope that doesn't mean I'm forgetting something.

Spanner44 has mentioned the Gparted live disk. I'd think that would have worked exactly the same as what I do, so I still have no explanation for why the two of you are having such frustrating results.

Well I partitioned using armon recovery, ill try doing it in ubuntu but ive recently reformatted my computer to start afresh so it will have to wait for now

Do you know what ubuntu does which armon doesnt do, ill probably look into that as im a regular user of ubuntu and linux in general

Well I partitioned using armon recovery, ill try doing it in ubuntu but ive recently reformatted my computer to start afresh so it will have to wait for now

Do you know what ubuntu does which armon doesnt do, ill probably look into that as im a regular user of ubuntu and linux in general

Sorry, no I don't know if there is or what the difference is. I just know that I could not get things to work with one of the Recovery images, so I gave up quickly and pulled the card and did it in Ubuntu. If it was a problem for a lot of people, I'd think someone would have a definitive answer, so it was probably just some silly mistake I made. But I know how to partition with Gparted very well, so I don't mess with recovery any more for that.

Edit: I know the Ubuntu live CD has Gparted. You could just boot the CD without bothering with a full install.

Edited by twrock

Guest AntonioPT
Everything works on my U8230 with UK update

EXCEPT OC kernel... when i try to boot with the (691 Mhz) kernel, it boot loop... the logo (T-Mobile appears and reboot!!)

I also have a U8230 and the 691 MHz OC kernel works fine for me...

I always wonder why U8230 owners install U8220 roms (UK update) on their phones... You should be using the official U8230 2.1 update for your phone, not an update for a slightly different phone, with different partition sizes...

I also have a U8230 and the 691 MHz OC kernel works fine for me...

I always wonder why U8230 owners install U8220 roms (UK update) on their phones... You should be using the official U8230 2.1 update for your phone, not an update for a slightly different phone, with different partition sizes...

That's useful information.

Spanner44 (and other 8230 users), I hope you notice this. :rolleyes:

Here's my sequence for partitioning the SD card with GParted.

WARNING: This will completely and permanently delete everything on your SD card. Make sure you backup what you want to save onto your computer. (Alternately you can try to resize your fat32 partition instead of deleting it, but I'm not covering that here.)

Turn off the phone, pop out the SD card, put it in a card reader and plug that into your linux machine.

[Edit] Alternately, you can just keep your card in your phone, reboot into Recovery, plug your phone into your computer with a USB cable, and "mount USB" in Recovery.

Start Gparted. Choose your SD card as the "device" you will be working on in the upper right corner dropdown menu.

"Unmount" the card so you can partition it, and delete all your previous partitions. You'll end up with a blank card:

post-596158-1289392029_thumb.png

Add three new primary partitions: fat32, ext2, linux-swap.

post-596158-1289392085_thumb.pngpost-596158-1289392109_thumb.pngpost-596158-1289392129_thumb.png

Apply changes:

post-596158-1289392148_thumb.pngpost-596158-1289392164_thumb.png

"Safely remove" the card and you should be good to go.

Edited by twrock

Guest AntonioPT

Very nice tutorial you have there twrock for partitioning the SD card! :rolleyes:

BTW, you don't need to delete the original FAT32 partition, you can just shrink it and create the ext/swap partitions on the free space left by the shrinking.

Also, you don't need a card reader to partition the SD card, I did it by USB using Clockworkmod's "mount USB" (Amon RA also does that).

Edited by AntonioPT

BTW, you don't need to delete the original FAT32 partition, you can just shrink it and create the ext/swap partitions on the free space left by the shrinking.

Yes, I usually do that as well, but I decided that looked like more steps than just starting "clean". And this way, I can describe one sequence no matter what someone has already done with their card. :huh:

Also, you don't need a card reader to partition the SD card, I did it by USB using Clockworkmod's "mount USB" (Amon RA also does that).

That makes sense. I do all sorts of other things by mounting USB, just never thought to do that. :rolleyes: Thanks. I'll go back and add that option.

Guest sNaiL94

Hi!

I have a problem. When i try to install an app from the market it says: The install was unsuccesful. Try again later!

I followed the tutorial step by step! The a2sd check says everything is OK.

What is the problem? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

EDIT: Now it works, i don't know what was the problem!

Edited by sNaiL94

Guest spanner44

Just tried again, without success again, but what I have noticed by paying even more attention this time is that when I do a wipe in Clockwork, It says :

Formatting DATA...

Formatting CACHE...

Formatting SDEXT...

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

(File exists°

Error mounting /sd-ext/!

Skipping format...

Formatting SDCARD:/.android_secure...

Data Wipe Complete

Now is this affecting the issue and problems I have with DTApps2SD, and if so, is there an expert who can solve it for me, in simple layman terms.

Thanks

Guest Richard_Arkless
Just tried again, without success again, but what I have noticed by paying even more attention this time is that when I do a wipe in Clockwork, It says :

Formatting DATA...

Formatting CACHE...

Formatting SDEXT...

(File exists°

Error mounting /sd-ext/!

Skipping format...

Data Wipe Complete

Now is this affecting the issue and problems I have with DTApps2SD, and if so, is there an expert who can solve it for me, in simple layman terms.

Thanks

I would try repartitioning it, I tried repartitioning it today and it had the same outcome where it just doesnt mount in a2sd

Formatting DATA...

Formatting CACHE...

Formatting SDEXT...

(File exists°

Error mounting /sd-ext/!

Skipping format...

Data Wipe Complete

Thanks

Just to be sure, did you see this from AntonioPT? Looks to me like he is suggesting you only update with the official 8230 2.1 rom as a base:

"I always wonder why U8230 owners install U8220 roms (UK update) on their phones... You should be using the official U8230 2.1 update for your phone, not an update for a slightly different phone, with different partition sizes..."

Yes, I agree with Richard that a repartition might be worth a try. See my "tutorial" above.

And did you ever redownload all the installation zips to see if somehow you mixed up a file? Again, this just doesn't make sense, so I'm trying to suggest anything that could make a difference. I don't know if it will, but why not try?

Awesome guide.

I've tried with the 'gapps-mdpi-tiny' applications flavour and all went ok until the 'a2sd check' step. It complained a bunch of 'No such file or directory' trying to execute busybox.

Later i've used the exact method this guide described and all went ok.

Maybe i've failed to apply something the first time :/

Thank you all for the value you added to the Pulse. This unit is selling well in south america, so remember that altough it can be considered old in your country you can still make a lot of people happier with their shiny new 8220 here

Guest suriya83
Just to be sure, did you see this from AntonioPT? Looks to me like he is suggesting you only update with the official 8230 2.1 rom as a base:

"I always wonder why U8230 owners install U8220 roms (UK update) on their phones... You should be using the official U8230 2.1 update for your phone, not an update for a slightly different phone, with different partition sizes..."

well i know why. mainly because there is no specific tutorial for the u8230 or if there is one i couldn't find it. and the portugese ROM doesn't work on all u8230

Hi!

I have a problem. When i try to install an app from the market it says: The install was unsuccesful. Try again later!

I followed the tutorial step by step! The a2sd check says everything is OK.

What is the problem? :huh:

Thanks!

EDIT: Now it works, i don't know what was the problem!

Sometimes it's the Market, not our phones, that has a problem.

I remember wasting an entire morning flashing and reflashing a rom, trying to get something to work with Swype. Turned out that the problem was with their website! :rolleyes: I even gave up and installed another similar input method. Then, later that afternoon, it installed without a problem.

Guest spanner44

I don't know the difference between u8220 and the u8230 but from what I can gather from my time on here, it shouldn't make much difference.

When I first got my phone, about 2 or 3 weeks ago, it was running stock 1.5, so after a lot of reading I used the Two guides in the sticky section to first do the december update and then the UK 2.1. Then I put on FLB 1.7 without problems.

Then I tried to do CM6, as i thought i would give it a go, but because I wasn't using Clockwork, the install failed so I re flashed FLB but this time with the oc kernal.

Then after more reading and finding clockwork, I then put on clockwork, did the partitioning as described before, but suffer the problems as described before.

I can get CM6 to work perfect, without DTApps2SD, but not with it, it just will nor find the ext partition ?

I tried it all again, last night, repartitioned with gparted etc etc still with the same result, so I think I will have to just live without it, as i am fed up keep flashing roms every night.

Out of interest, whenever I use the gapps-pulse version, I am unable to download from the market. I can see the market and select a download, but when it has downloaded and tries to install, it reboots the phone. I have to use the gapps-mdpi-tiny-20100930 instead and this works perfectly, so not sure if this is related to my problems or not.

Perhaps I will get to the bottom of this eventually, I would still like to find out what these messages are within the clockwork wipe,

but for know I will have to be content to using Froyos version odf A2SD (as i said, I can't keep flashing my phone, as it keeps taking me a day to reload everything how i like it.)

Guest Fusion0306
I don't know the difference between u8220 and the u8230 but from what I can gather from my time on here, it shouldn't make much difference.

When I first got my phone, about 2 or 3 weeks ago, it was running stock 1.5, so after a lot of reading I used the Two guides in the sticky section to first do the december update and then the UK 2.1. Then I put on FLB 1.7 without problems.

Then I tried to do CM6, as i thought i would give it a go, but because I wasn't using Clockwork, the install failed so I re flashed FLB but this time with the oc kernal.

Then after more reading and finding clockwork, I then put on clockwork, did the partitioning as described before, but suffer the problems as described before.

I can get CM6 to work perfect, without DTApps2SD, but not with it, it just will nor find the ext partition ?

I tried it all again, last night, repartitioned with gparted etc etc still with the same result, so I think I will have to just live without it, as i am fed up keep flashing roms every night.

Out of interest, whenever I use the gapps-pulse version, I am unable to download from the market. I can see the market and select a download, but when it has downloaded and tries to install, it reboots the phone. I have to use the gapps-mdpi-tiny-20100930 instead and this works perfectly, so not sure if this is related to my problems or not.

Perhaps I will get to the bottom of this eventually, I would still like to find out what these messages are within the clockwork wipe,

but for know I will have to be content to using Froyos version odf A2SD (as i said, I can't keep flashing my phone, as it keeps taking me a day to reload everything how i like it.)

I flashed pulse gapps and everything works. DT a2sd too.

I followed this guide.

Good luck!

Edited by Fusion0306

Guest olivier k

Hello,

I have a short question. I've installed CM6 0.30. I wonder if I can install now the OC kernel (on top, without loosing all my data), and if I'll gain some speed. (ps looking at the phone infos, it is running 2.6.29-perf from Tom.

Thanks

Hello,

I have a short question. I've installed CM6 0.30. I wonder if I can install now the OC kernel (on top, without loosing all my data), and if I'll gain some speed. (ps looking at the phone infos, it is running 2.6.29-perf from Tom.

Thanks

I believe others have successfully done just that. Doing a nandroid backup first will allow you to return to what you have if your attempt fails.

Guest Fusion0306
I believe others have successfully done just that. Doing a nandroid backup first will allow you to return to what you have if your attempt fails.

Maybe you could update the first post with other oc kernels (710, 750) so that anyone can choose :rolleyes: I'm using the 710 one, tried the 750 but it caused bootloop for me.

Guest pitterr

This step-by-step guide is very nice. Just it won't work. Firstly I installed UK 2.1, my SD card is already partitioned. Secondly I tried to install Clockwork Recovery and there is the catch, I can't install it!!! Because it needs root permission, but UK 2.1 clearly doesn't contains root access. So what's next? This situation is really frustrating!

EDIT: I figured out how to deal with Clockwork Recovery. Thanks to one of flibblesan posts!

Edited by pitterr

Maybe you could update the first post with other oc kernels (710, 750) so that anyone can choose :rolleyes: I'm using the 710 one, tried the 750 but it caused bootloop for me.

I'm still reading about people having problems with installing and running the other OC kernels (as you have mentioned yourself here). So I haven't gone back to try it myself.

My primary intention here is to have a relatively simple set of instructions that works for "98.6%" of the people who follow it, so I'm trying to stay conservative about it. And I'm only listing in that first post what I have actually done and can duplicate and can verify myself. So for the time being, that is the 691MHz kernel.

But, as others have posted even as far back as the first page of this thread, other OC kernels seem to work fine for at least some of the people who install them. So my hope is that if people can get the "basic" installation to work, they should understand how to choose a different OC kernel and get that to install as well.

Guest Richard_Arkless

I tried the 748mhz overclocked kernel yesterday and it booted for me but it would always reboot and be really unstable, to solve this I moved it down to 710 max, so far no reboots and got around 5000 on linpack

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest Fusion0306
I tried the 748mhz overclocked kernel yesterday and it booted for me but it would always reboot and be really unstable, to solve this I moved it down to 710 max, so far no reboots and got around 5000 on linpack

The 710 oc kernel working great for me too. I've been using it for two days without problems.

Guest brovkin1987

How it is possible to make in customisations that at screen disconnecting it was switched off 3G the and remained in operation only 2G (EDGE)?

Edited by brovkin1987