Installing the latest firmware

Guest ritdaw

I'm completely new to the Samsung android world having owned all HTC products.

I'm looking for a howto on loading the latest firmware, information seems a little sparse at the moment.

Loving the tab by the way.

Thanks in advance!

Doing anything in this message is on your own responsibility, I am in no way responsible to any damage to your device.

to flash firmwares you need the following things:

1. Odin 1.7 and up

2. pit file

3. base rom

4. update rom

procedure is as follows:

1. Backup all data to SD card using something like titanium backup and copy everything you might miss, then remove the sd card and sim card before you begin.

2. Go to samfirmware.com and create account, there under "samsung tablets" ---> 1000 you can find the pt files and roms and Odin

3. You need to install kies once and connect the tab so the driver for it will be installed

4. Click the USB debugging box on settings ---> applications ---> development then reboot.

5. Put your tab in download mode, boot with volume down + power + home until you see "download mode" yellow page, add the files to odin before you connect the tab to the pc

6. in Odin you add the code as pda, modem as phone and csc as csc files, add the files from the jj4 rom to odin, odin must be started before you connect the usb to the pc.

7. The latest rom is JK1 but it is an update rom, so you need to flash JJ4 with repartition marked

8. After jj4 rebooted successfully you can boot and put it in download mode again and flash JK1 without repartition checked cause its only update ROM, no need for pit or any other file.

In the samfirmware.com page for the tablet you can see a link to a youtube video showing how to flash.

remember to look at the line of the Rom you are downloading so you know which pt file you need for each rom.

There are plenty of better guides for this process on xdadevelopers, I showed you the process in broad strokes, either find a better guide or do it with someone who did it before.

here is one guide:

http://www.tsar3000.com/Joomla/index.php?o...o&Itemid=84

Edited by ranblv

is this the only way to update the firmware? Can it be done OTA like a phone? I can't find the check for updates option in the usual place.

I don't believe Samsung have an ota update method but correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe Samsung have an ota update method but correct me if I'm wrong.

If the method above is the only way to update the OS ... wow... that's pretty terrible! How can they expect 'everyday' people to update their tabs?

If the method above is the only way to update the OS ... wow... that's pretty terrible! How can they expect 'everyday' people to update their tabs?

no no, the samsung method is through desktop software called "Kies".

you connect the phone when its running and check for updates.

then you get updates for your region only.

Edited by ranblv

no no, the samsung method is through desktop software called "Kies".

you connect the phone when its running and check for updates.

then you get updates for your region only.

oh right thanks... I thought it was just for media and phone syncing.

Much like the OP I'm coming to this Samsung lark from HTC phones and feeling a bit confused.

I'm looking to flash the latest firmware - JK5 - and I wanted to know how you determine whether or not a particular firmware is an upgrade or a full firmware?

On the Samifirmware site, they have the firmwares listed and an asterisk denoting "not full firmware" - but none of the firmwares listed appear to have such an asterisk beside them. Do I take this to mean that ALL of the firmwares currently on that site are full, and thus can all be directly flashed with repartition selected, and without going through an intermediate firmware first?

Guest InfamousBus
Much like the OP I'm coming to this Samsung lark from HTC phones and feeling a bit confused.

I'm looking to flash the latest firmware - JK5 - and I wanted to know how you determine whether or not a particular firmware is an upgrade or a full firmware?

On the Samifirmware site, they have the firmwares listed and an asterisk denoting "not full firmware" - but none of the firmwares listed appear to have such an asterisk beside them. Do I take this to mean that ALL of the firmwares currently on that site are full, and thus can all be directly flashed with repartition selected, and without going through an intermediate firmware first?

Hi,

i wouldnt select repartition on every firmware.. it got my tab messed up yesterday and it took 5 hours to fix since i didnt know what was wrong (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=845654). that link was my fight B)

I am no expert or anything but it seems that the firmware which has the file dbdata.rfs is a full firmware and there u can use repartition.. if u use it without that file it messes it up.. at least it did for me

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bisto321

Hi, I have been following these firmware threads a little bit and saw that an update for the UK Tabs is out now.

I have updated mine via kies and managed to root it again using z4 and then restored apps with titanium backup.

My question is, is there anything i am missing by not flashing 'the other way'?

I am used to flashing lots of roms on my hero, but until a stable recovery rom with nandroid is available, I would be a bit worried about bricking my tab without an easy fix.

It would seem that quite a few have semi-bricked and managed to recover after a bit of sweating and hassle

Are there any real custom roms at the moment?

Also, quick heads up if you have not seen it, free gameloft HD game here

Dungeon Hunter