Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest bu11d0g
Hi Alexovy

Thanks for the explanations

I have 2 problems

1. I cant turn on wifi now. When I click it looks on but cant connect then turn of itself

It was working after my first install

2. I need to enter my cariers APN setting. But when I go the page there is nothing there. It is a blank page.

I mean when I go through settings>Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

There is nothing in this page

Thanks

For new APN press "Cube" button then select "Nem APN"

Wifi wasn't working for me as well, just kept trying, turning on/off nd when it found my wlan I tapped on it and then selected "Connect"

It's working now, I'm on Android Market, but wifi speed is terrible, tkes forever to d/l anything :/

so...after fresh install, personally I find beta2 a little bit slower, but better :P. Now 3G data is working, my simcard contacts are finally imported, wireless is working better (but slower then 3G...weird), etc, etc....so all together beta2 is better.

now....for the guys who want to know what I did:

1. copy the original beta1 files to My Storage;

2. run Haret from o2beta folder;

3. terminal text is running but no andoid logo or xwindow. It restart it self;

4. unpack the Radie's update package - February 4 2011 to My Storage root;

5. restart (using Haret from My Storage root). Andoid logo and everything;

6. copy beta2 files to My Storage root;

7. restart. Everything looks fine. A couple of freezes, but after a couple of resets everything was running;

8. copy the o2b2update.tar.gz update from 2010.02.10 to My Storage root. Rename it to o2update.tar.gz;

9. restart. Android logo running smooth, everything is ok. GPRS data is ok and really fast.

Any questions? feel free to ask!

Thanks devs!

I have installed many times on my storage and also storage over the projects life span.

I have followed the step by step to install to sd card after having dramas with installing again on my storage and still problems.

I get an error on the first step (o2beta step) soon after the message about mounting internal sd memory part

then followed by a kernel panic. Is this something to do with the partition description ie ....k0p5????

I have tried formatting using minitool. I have only got a fat32 partition. I have tried formatting in win mo. I ave tried formatting in Ubuntu.

I have no idea why I am getting kernel panic errors. Off memory I used to get just this on the o2beta step but it didn't effect android when I went to load from the root of my storage.

Guest alfatech

With a fresh install of Beta 2 I still have battery issue. My battery down 74% to 31% in 1 hour and is very hot. The GPS, 3G and WIFI is OFF.

What I can do about this?

Good job...

Edited by alfatech

Guest stu_2k1
I have installed many times on my storage and also storage over the projects life span.

I have followed the step by step to install to sd card after having dramas with installing again on my storage and still problems.

I get an error on the first step (o2beta step) soon after the message about mounting internal sd memory part

then followed by a kernel panic. Is this something to do with the partition description ie ....k0p5????

I have tried formatting using minitool. I have only got a fat32 partition. I have tried formatting in win mo. I ave tried formatting in Ubuntu.

I have no idea why I am getting kernel panic errors. Off memory I used to get just this on the o2beta step but it didn't effect android when I went to load from the root of my storage.

Same here Pete B. i think ive ran out of decent blocks

korea omnia2(sch-m715) test result

beta1 last version + beta1 last version kernel

usb connected- nomally working, sometimes not working phone (usb adb not working on t*omnia2)

usb not connected- not working, kernel panic fatal exception

beta1 last version + mod for korea omnia2 beta1 kernel

usb connected- nomally working, phone working everyday (usb adb not working on t*omnia2)

usb not connected- nomally working, phone working everyday, perfact stable(never freeze)

beta2 + beta2 last version kernel

usb connected- not working, kernel panic fatal exception

usb not connected- not working, kernel panic fatal exception

beta2 + mod for korea omnia2 beta1 kernel

usb connected- nomally working, sometimes not working phone, unstable(sometimes freeze)(usb adb not working on t*omnia2)

usb not connected- nomally working, sometimes not working phone, unstable(sometimes freeze)

Edited by kgp700

Same here Pete B. i think ive ran out of decent blocks

I sometimes see data corruption and I think there are some serious issues with caching and syncing to disk with either the phone, or the beta itself,

to minimise data corruptions I always use the phone for a while after a fresh install and after installing apps before I reboot,

this way data should be written to disk completely.

I have not checked the market to see if there is a sync app, or perhaps run sync a few times before shutting down for people who have shell access.

I also notice the SD card housing can be loosen easily, so when taking the battery out and putting it back in be sure to check the SD card housing,

it should be in place firmly.

Guest cicciosprint

Took Android out (literally) for a spin and, well, I think I'll have to reinstall and double check:

- phone now can ONLY be unlocked by the hang up button, and even then it takes a few moments; afterwards, for a short period of time, any key can turn the screen on (Cube still unlocks, but can NOT wake the phone up); again this might be due to my tampering

- phone is unstable: after roughly 40 seconds the call either ends or the audio gets cut off. I THINK it has something to do with sleep, but again will have to reinstall and double check.

Everything else is in working order as I posted, headphones included :P

I sometimes see data corruption and I think there are some serious issues with caching and syncing to disk with either the phone, or the beta itself,

to minimise data corruptions I always use the phone for a while after a fresh install and after installing apps before I reboot,

this way data should be written to disk completely.

I have not checked the market to see if there is a sync app, or perhaps run sync a few times before shutting down for people who have shell access.

I also notice the SD card housing can be loosen easily, so when taking the battery out and putting it back in be sure to check the SD card housing,

it should be in place firmly.

Well I'm going to try http://www.modaco.com/content-page/322429/...000/page/2040/# post 2046

In the past I have just shrunk the fat32 partition in ubuntu and created an ext2 partition so i had 2 partitions on my storage. I think i had a small unallocated partition on one of my installs.

Since the problem I have tried creating partitions in ubuntu and also minitool.

Hopefully creating the partitions exactly the same as the link will stop the kernel panic message.

When I used to run Android on storage card I got corruption after it was all working fine. I have not had corruption on my storage after it ran fine though. This time the kernel panic error was on boot so it doesn't appear to be corruption of Android. I hope creating the extra partition will restore the partition address to the correct one and all will be well.

Will post if it all works out. Busy transferring all winmo storage files back at the moment because of formatting both my storage and storage card.

Guest bu11d0g

Been running Android for hours now. Talked with girlfriend for 30+ minutes without any problems, downloaded+installed apps from market (very slow speeds though). Used Facebook and Twitter, played around with widgets... it's been awesome!

Still can't get the gprs/edge data connections to work, so I'm depending on my wlan at the moment in order to have internet access

Great job dev team, great job!

Guest xlightwaverx
Nothing at the moment. But we could use a nice designed website (dont worry about the content)?

----------------------------------------------

I believe I could be of assistance with this matter :P

Guest Clemenzo

I noticed that the time is always reset to UTC despite the date and timezone stays as configured. While I don't have issue setting the time after each reboot, I like to ask if this is normal? Sorry, I haven't use an Android phone before but planning to. Thanks!

Guest betamale
My ultimate tuto to good performance in My storage fresh install:

Criate/format both:

2GB FAT32 (primary)-->DISK0

2GB ext3(logical)-->disk

3.5GB unlocated

0.5GB hide partition WM

Plug USB on windows put into DISK0: o2b2filesys.tar.gz (from o2b2filesys.zip), o2bupdate.tar.gz (with 2D/3D libs), new zimage(from o2b2filesys.zip), Haret and default.txt ( change line to"rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init") (from o2beta1024).

Unplug USB- Start ubuntu in VMwarePlayer - Plug USB - Connect to Ubuntu - Open Terminal and comands:

sudo cp /media/DISK0/o2b2filesys.tar.gz /media/disk/

cd /media/disk/

sudo tar xzvf o2b2filesys.tar.gz -C /media/disk

cd

sudo cp /media/DISK0/o2bupdate.tar.gz /media/disk/

cd /media/disk/

sudo tar xzvf o2bupdate.tar.gz -C /media/disk

Unplug USB and run Haret.

I installed "on top" of my existing installation in a similar way as smlz described it.

I did NOT do a fresh format or create new partitions in MyStorage.

I have the following partitions on MyStorage:

1GB FAT (primary) -->DISK0

2GB ext3(logical) -->disk1

4.65GB FAT32 -->STORAGE

I simply copied to DISK0:

o2b2filesys.tar.gz (from o2b2filesys.zip from the dev's homepage),

o2b2update.tar.gz (from the dev's homepage),

o2bupdate.tar.gz (from the o2bupdate.zip from the dev's homepage) -> renamed it to o2bupdate5.tar.gz,

new zimage (from o2b2filesys.zip from the dev's hompage),

I still had Haret and default.txt (from the previous beta1 installation from o2beta1024).

So my DISK0 contains the following files:

ext2.tar.gz

haret.exe

o2b2filesys.tar.gz

o2bupdate.sh

o2bupdate2.tar.gz

o2bupdate3.tar.gz

o2bupdate4.tar.gz

o2bupdate5.tar.gz

default.txt

zImage

Then I did (again very similar to smlz's tuto):

Unplug USB- Start ubuntu in VMwarePlayer - Plug USB - Connect to Ubuntu - Open Terminal and comands:

sudo cp /media/DISK0/o2b2filesys.tar.gz /media/disk1/

cd /media/disk1/

sudo tar xzvf o2b2filesys.tar.gz -C /media/disk1

cd

sudo cp /media/DISK0/o2bupdate5.tar.gz /media/disk1/

cd /media/disk1/

sudo tar xzvf o2bupdate5.tar.gz -C /media/disk1

Unplug USB, rebooted the phone and run haret.exe.

Android booting took quite a long time the first time.

All my settings and data are still there, like wallpapers, apps, WLAN setup, even txt messages ...

I didn't have to set up a lot (everything was still there)

Anyway I turned the phone off and booted it again just to "refresh" (now faster).

The only "issue" I have (until now) is that I have to push the unlock button a couple times to wake the phone.

android clock seems to be fixed, i will keep an eye on the battery. -> GOOD!

WM clock is wrong (-6 hours) now! -> STRANGE!!!

WLAN works!

ok, while I was writing this I restarted my phone again ....

in the meanwhile I had a couple of crashs/frozen screens/wake up problems ... :D

ok DEVS - there is still room for improvement!

And I found something funny... I started the camera app and the message came up that the device could not start ... bla bla bla ... but after that my phone went to the home screen in LANDSCAPE MODE!!! :P

Anyway! Thanks Devs!

Edited by betamale

Guest Clemenzo
And I found something funny... I started the camera app and the message came up that the device could not start ... bla bla bla ... but after that my phone went to the home screen in LANDSCAPE MODE!!! :P

To switch back portrait, I usually go to the dialer. If there is a better way, please share. Thank you.

Guest Fat Chen

fyi, i don't reformat all the internal storage. I just create an ext3 partition in 8GB 'My Storage' with EASUS Home. Reinstalled with tutorial from slmz (thanks slmz)and update to the latest 10/02. Working fine now, the back cover is cooler than beta1 when I using wifi.

Thanks Devs

Edited by Fat Chen

Hi guys,

My contribution again with bata 2 - all-in-one file, this tar file include nobody 2d/3d driver and latest 3g data fix, just tar it to My Storage ext2 partition or rename it as ext2.tar.gz using the auto method. cheers ... :

due to mirroring issue, I've removed the share, if anyone want this, please PM me, please note that this is not an update. its just my sharing that make someone life easier instead of merging updates one by one. since I've done it with success, I just share my file that I used.

Edited by LOLOH2

Guest bobhero
Hi guys,

My contribution again with bata 2 - all-in-one file, this tar file include nobody 2d/3d driver and latest 3g data fix, just tar it to My Storage ext2 partition or rename it as ext2.tar.gz using the auto method. cheers ... "removed link"

thank you this is exactly what I've been looking for. Will try it out.

EDIT:

Not working and I'm not sure why. When I rename to ext2.tar.gz and try to do a fresh install, phone just reboots after 15 seconds.

Edited by speedfrog

Hi guys,

My contribution again with bata 2 - all-in-one file, this tar file include nobody 2d/3d driver and latest 3g data fix, just tar it to My Storage ext2 partition or rename it as ext2.tar.gz using the auto method. cheers ... "removed link"

Good stuff, any chance to have it uploaded to megaupload?

Hi guys,

I tried doing it that way too, and all I got was problems. I eventually broke down and extracted the tar.gz in Linux to the existing partition (along with the video driver and update), and it's been flawless so far. Dunno why that method isn't working properly...but I'm guessing that's why they didn't give it to us...

Has anyone done any benchmarks on the My Storage memory? Is it fast enough to bother with? Is it faster than class 6 microSD? Class 10? Obviously what we need is a real ROM once this becomes stable :P

Guest voyteckst
Hi guys,

Haven't You seen info that developers do not want to mirror? It's also in first post of this thread!

If You want help, just create o2b2update.tatr.gz

Edited by speedfrog

I tried doing it that way too, and all I got was problems. I eventually broke down and extracted the tar.gz in Linux to the existing partition (along with the video driver and update), and it's been flawless so far. Dunno why that method isn't working properly...but I'm guessing that's why they didn't give it to us...

I've done it myself successfully b4 upload, everything is fine, all I did was tar the file under ubuntu thats all.

One more thing, I root the phone before first reboot, may thats way it work for me.

Edited by LOLOH2

thank you this is exactly what I've been looking for. Will try it out.

EDIT:

Not working and I'm not sure why. When I rename to ext2.tar.gz and try to do a fresh install, phone just reboots after 15 seconds.

you use SD installation or My Storage installation ? I've tested with My Storage and is fine. Did you forget to root the phobne before the first reboot ?

- cd /media/disk

- cd /system/bin

- rm -f su

- ln -s /system/xbin/su su