Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest fortify
The zip file must unpack to the My Storage - there are no other option when using the o2beta install. Manually you can copy the ext2.tar.gz to any ext2/3 partition and adjust the default.txt for the haret.

I would love to have Android on my Omnia II I8000L. But seems like things are in the developing stages. I am disappointed with the lack of application support for the Mobile Windows platform. Almost all apps support Android phones.

Guest djsolidsnake86
i think they still need some time (maybe few week to put it into beta2(maybe also android 2.2)

so the processor consumation bug is fixed?

Some extra comments from Almar on tweakers.net where an article is devoted to the beta news:

Dutch:Wat leuk om te zien om werk van mij en hoofdzakelijk 2 anderen (PHJ en Sandor) eindelijk op Tweakers staat. Om een tip van de sluier te onthullen (het artikel klopt niet helemaal): De cpu frequentie schaling werkt prima, sleep werkt inmiddels ook, 3d versnelling is ook mogelijk (maar niet met libraries van Samsung die toch slecht waren maar met die van tom3q!). Het enige wat over is om te maken zijn de sensorimplementatie in Android, de correcte configuratie van 3G en de camera. Van alledrie is denk ik het grootste werk al verzet.

English:How nice to see that my work and mainly 2 others (PHJ and Sandor) finally made it to Tweakers. To reveal a little more (the article is not quite correct): cpu frequency scaling is working fine, sleep is working too, 3d acceleration is possible as well (just not with the libraries from Samsung, which are bad anyway, but with tom3q!'s). The only stuff left is the sensorimplementation on Android, correct configuration of 3G and the camera. Most work on those three is done.

so the processor consumation bug is fixed?

IF sleep is work, which mean clock will be work too

I think the battery consumption problem will be solve too.

It is all theory

Guest drwakey
So far i got it working more stable, dont know exactly why,..

still some apps that stop responding mostly marketplace , download from WIFI very very very slow,

haret not stable all the time, sometimes it fails booting up , stuck at bootscreen

also got lines on the screen if i lock the screen and unlock it, if i lock and unlock it again its gone

but he ! its a great start =D already like it more than WINMO,

Same here.

Is it possible to wipe the android image, and start fresh without formatting the SD card?

I'm guessing I need a linux box to view the ext3 partition and delete the file on there?

Simply delete all android related stuff, then reinstall it like the first time.

Guest Real_life
Great work guys! I've got the Beta up and running and it works great.

I've not used Android before but it already seems soo much quicker and slicker than windows.

One question:

I've downloaded live wallpapers from the market place but they won't run, I get a message saying that my version of Android doesn't support live wallpapers - I thought the Beta is running Eclair which should support live wallpapers?

Thanks for all your hard work, I think I'll be keeping my Omnia for a while - no need to get a Galaxy S ;)

WOOOAH

Slow down there mate, people here barely got a game not soo graphic intensive working (angry birds) and you allready trying live wallpapers :)

Even if those would work, it surely kills the battery faster... just wait for the core things to stabilize and them we focus on the graphic interface...

@Almar, PHJ, Sandor

How can we all help - in a constructive way - in reporting beta bugs, issues etc. Should we use the code.google site, do you require logs, etc?

Please let us know.

Thanks!

My WinMo ROM is a twu2 6.5.3 (as far as I can remember); but I can't see that having much effect if I'm honest. I don't mean to ask stupid questions, but how long have you waited when it freezes? Is there any response to the back button (camera button on Omnia 2) etc?

Wi-Fi doesn't give me any problem at all.

All the best,

Rob.

no response on back button and i wait for 5 minutes and nothing happens...i don't know but i'll try beta 1024 intead 512...

Guest pdadelisi

This is my first android ecperience.I think without all of these crashes there is a GOOD problem : All icons and other graphic interface is resized from a lower res.You can see interpolation artifacts if you look carefully.This rom isnt in native res.Only fonts are in NATIVE RESULUTION and looking sharp.all other things are BLURED.

Guest elbee72
I can confirm the bluetooth bug, and I´ve starred it on the project page. Okay, the download site states that it´s not yet working, while the development page claims it´s a beta Feature. Since the download site seems to be latest news, i guess it shouldn´t be working. As for USB Debugging, that seems to be a rather tricky thing according to that website:

http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid/wiki/InstallAppsADB

ADB works with alpha and with this beta. I couldn't get the usb drivers working on windows vista, but no problem under linux (Ubuntu). Adb on windows can work, thew0lf managed with the alpha, so beta also possible.

Guest TIEfighter
ADB works with alpha and with this beta. I couldn't get the usb drivers working on windows vista, but no problem under linux (Ubuntu). Adb on windows can work, thew0lf managed with the alpha, so beta also possible.

:-) Yeah but it´s not that easy on Windows...but then again, linux is free, so there´s not a big problem

Guest elbee72
Hey Guys,

i just wanted to remind you that there is a bug filing system for the Omnia2Droid Project at http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid (find it in "issues")

This is probably the best way to post bugs that you have found. Why? Because the developers don´t have to read through all the (soon) 20 pages of this thread and pick out the errors. Furthermore, people that have the same bug/error/issue can vote for an issue to be fixed, thereby giving the developers a chance to see what errors should/could be adressed immediatly.

The only requirement for using this system is a google account, which you probably will need anyway if you try to install android on your phone.

PS: If I´m mistaken and the developers prefer scanning through the forum, please let me know ;)

I think the developers are mainly directed by implementing remaining things in the kernel and fixing bugs they already know. Because they have put in a lot of hours, they know the system very good. So they probably don't heavely rely on bugs reported by users, but it can help.

This thread seems ok for discussing (general) findings/bugs but the issue mgt system at google code is more suited for reporting bugs in detail. When it comes to tuning well orginized issue logs can help. If someone likes to do issue mgt with logged issues he/she is welcome to do so (just leave a mail).

Guest djsolidsnake86

anyone can ask to almar for the sleep patch? i want use always android and test it everytime, but at this time the high temperature that has the phone during android can't do this

Guest TIEfighter
I think the developers are mainly directed by implementing remaining things in the kernel and fixing bugs they already know. Because they have put in a lot of hours, they know the system very good. So they probably don't heavely rely on bugs reported by users, but it can help.

This thread seems ok for discussing (general) findings/bugs but the issue mgt system at google code is more suited for reporting bugs in detail. When it comes to tuning well orginized issue logs can help. If someone likes to do issue mgt with logged issues he/she is welcome to do so (just leave a mail).

ok thank you for clarification ;-) I´m trying to help a little by going through the issues here and at the google code page ;)

As for adding languages, I´ve tried the program more locale 2 from the android market. It doesn´t work on preinstalled software and the system, but any software that has language support for the language selected in the app will be translated.

anyone can ask to almar for the sleep patch? i want use always android and test it everytime, but at this time the high temperature that has the phone during android can't do this

i think we should give them more time

It is why they don't release this beta last year.

If there is any small problem, the community will make them crazy.

Guest r1c4rd0

that will be real good if almar or other made real time update, just upload the files and we can make a manual update.

thanks

Guest djsolidsnake86
i think we should give them more time

It is why they don't release this beta last year.

If there is any small problem, the community will make them crazy.

i know but the sleep problem is important to be fixed than many other things at this time ;)

i know but the sleep problem is important to be fixed than many other things at this time ;)

actually i also want this, but hurry him up doesn't help anything.

He will release if he is well test and prepared.

The clock problem is very serious...

I must turn it back to WM to make sure the alarm clock is work