Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest jccheah

Hi all,

I'm using beta512.zip....... 512M partition image ( new version : 2011-01-18 12:35 CET )

everytime i run android , it will hang around 5-10mins, i the back of my phone is hot. any problem with my phone or i didnt install any file and cause it hang.

Thanks

Guest alexovy

Today I wanted to freeze my phone, on purpose, so I started a couple of apps:

- radio (playing music);

- market and download 2 apps from market over 3G;

- file manager and install one app from one of my folders;

- the apps from the market started to install them selfs automatically;

...all these in the same time and...nothing happened. I was playing like this for like 5 minutes and then I got a "application.android.phone stopped to work" wait/force close, I pressed wait but then my radio turned off.

Then I started the radio again, everything was fine. Great work devs.

But, I don't understand how is freezing in the middle of no use, and then when I start stress test it runs just fine :(

Guest problematika

- radio (playing music);

...all these in the same time and...nothing happened. I was playing like this for like 5 minutes and then I got a "application.android.phone stopped to work" wait/force close, I pressed wait but then my radio turned off.

But, I don't understand how is freezing in the middle of no use, and then when I start stress test it runs just fine :(

I think that somehow settings in WM and Android have some conections...it is strange, but i noticed some strange behaviour... but still, I use Android all the time and only thing which I dont like is that I must use Call Light! I talk so much! :( But, O2 with android is great device!

Guest green brain
windows wont run in background anymore.. your o2 will run android OS

my o2 has 256MB of ram

but android can only see 158MB

why?

Guest voyteckst
my o2 has 256MB of ram

but android can only see 158MB

why?

Really?? And maybe Your WM has free 256? :(

Edited by voyteckst

Guest Hadesword
everybody except me can copy your contact from sim or make them visible for android?

I think everybody use gmail to export contacs to android :(

- radio (playing music);

Same here, random freezes, and rarely SODs, it happens on ext3 and ext4 also.

Guest Pete B
Same here, random freezes, and rarely SODs, it happens on ext3 and ext4 also.

I tried reverting back to ext2 from ext4 hoping it may be better at the risk of easy corruption.... but nothing changed and get freezes.

Guest green brain
Really?? And maybe Your WM has free 256? :(

:(

to be clear

based on android system information program

max ram = 157MB

free ram = 64MB

why the max ram is 157MB?

Guest kaspy

hi all ,,,

well i have strange problem now,

when i install the android on the sd card with ext2

install goes fine , no errors,

after i run haret in mystorage to run android , it goes fine till

IPC transfer start ,

after that it doesnt show the android screen , but reboots the phone ,

i have tried many times

but no help .

Guest Abu Osama
hi all ,,,

well i have strange problem now,

when i install the android on the sd card with ext2

install goes fine , no errors,

after i run haret in mystorage to run android , it goes fine till

IPC transfer start ,

after that it doesnt show the android screen , but reboots the phone ,

i have tried many times

but no help .

you must install 3d driver ( in post # 8)

Guest surenz
:(

to be clear

based on android system information program

max ram = 157MB

free ram = 64MB

why the max ram is 157MB?

64 mb - radio (radio chipset has no ram so it uses system mem)

15 mb - os crap(pagepool,etc..)

32 mb - graphics mem

10 mb - camera buffer

256-64-15-32-10=137 mb available to wm

So remove the 15MB pagepool of WM and you're dangerously close to 158 MB already.

That's well known information and I'm sure voyteckst is really pissed off already to repeat it every tenth page here.

For the curious people here:2D/3D Graphics Mix for i5700

I tried the ver3 and v4alpha drivers. Not a big difference but at least I got rid of the strange freezes.

The good thing is that it's explained which driver is taken where from. Now I'm with v3 because v4alpha showed me some instabilities.

Since yesterday night till today morning for 10h of standby I lost about 15% of the battery (not bad at all)

edit: the sizes of the memory for every component...

Edited by surenz

Guest aposhtol

32 mb - graphics mem

10 mb - camera buffer

Shouldn't some RAM be reserved for the sleep state image also?

Guest r1c4rd0

32 mb - graphics mem

10 mb - camera buffer

256-64-15-32-10=137 mb available to wm

So remove the 15MB pagepool of WM and you're dangerously close to 158 MB already.

That's well known information and I'm sure voyteckst is really pissed off already to repeat it every tenth page here.

For the curious people here:2D/3D Graphics Mix for i5700

I tried the ver3 and v4alpha drivers. Not a big difference but at least I got rid of the strange freezes.

The good thing is that it's explained which driver is taken where from. Now I'm with v3 because v4alpha showed me some instabilities.

Since yesterday night till today morning for 10h of standby I lost about 15% of the battery (not bad at all)

edit: the sizes of the memory for every component...

hi mate, can you post your quandrant score with those drivers?

thanks

Guest surenz
hi mate, can you post your quandrant score with those drivers?

thanks

Same like the stu_2k libs, Quadrant floating from 260 to 300 mainly because of the I/O score.

2D is 100-110 and 3D is 90-100.

I begin to think that the problems raising with stu_2k libraries were because of the new CPU libs - the libdvm.so...

I get whitescreen after boot with fix3 2d3d drivers. maybe because i replaced the old ones instead of a fresh installation.

edit: testing v4 alpha, boot ok. further testing.

edit2: SOD / green flashes.

edit3: score v4a total: 240 / mem: 258 / io: 741 / 2d: 106 / 3d: 95 // SOD immediately after screen off

Edited by Guest

Guest surenz
I get whitescreen after boot with fix3 2d3d drivers. maybe because i replaced the old ones instead of a fresh installation.

edit: testing v4 alpha, boot ok. further testing.

edit2: SOD / green flashes.

edit3: score v4a total: 240 / mem: 258 / io: 741 / 2d: 106 / 3d: 95 // SOD immediately after screen off

Really strange because I'm using already one day the v3 drivers and have no problems.

I'm already at 14% after 16h since unplugged but I forgot two times the Wifi switched on for almost 1h30.

We have to optimize a little the Wi-Fi to turn it off during the screen off like it is in WinMo.

In fact my method of installation was the following:

Exactly delete all the stu_2k libs and replacing them with the original files from the beta2 (where applicable) and then rename to *.old of the files which will be replaced with the v3 archive

After copy to /system/libs.

I've also deleted everything in /data/dalvik-cache.

After all, rename of the files with 5700 to saturn as the softlinks where pointing to the saturn ones.

I haven't replaced the sensors files. Perhaps, because of this I've no problems.

Edited by surenz

Guest LOLOH2

hi there, anyone managed to make just using the sleep button on the right side to wake up the phone instead of using the power on button in front for beta 2 thanks.

Guest surenz
Would there be a way to delete the memory allocation for the Radio chipset? I really never use it.

Perhaps, you've confused radio with the built-in radio.

Actually, it is the GSM/3G/Wifi chipset.

Nevertheless, these memories are hardwired (except the WinMo pagepool) and unable to be used by the OS.

I have to admit that from 14% to complete shutdown (no charger near), it took only 2h :(

Unfortunately I have to start from zero to examine the stability of the new beta2 with the 2D/3D libs I've found on Samdroid's site.

In matter of fact I'm still convinced that this combination of video drivers is not exceptional (may be similar to stu_2k's) and without the "new" CPU libs the beta2 is enough fast and stable already.

Guest mat9v

Radio chipset mentioned here is not FM Radio you listen to but the Phone part that allows you to make phone calls. So rather not. I suspect that when camera driver and implementation is complete we will loose even more ram (the same for Bluetooth). Or maybe I am wrong and they are complete on kernel level so no more memory loss in he future :(.

Even then Android (and it's underlying linux) is much better with memory management so it is not really a problem - you can run many apps at once and they will acquire/release memory when needed. I tried to bog down the system (opera with few tabs+music player+google maps+ few smaller fishes) and beside some slowdown due to, I think, some kind of swapping, I had no problem.