Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest bobhero

Someone suggest a way to back up my progress in angry birds? I've made it pretty far, but my android install is starting to act up (keeps asking me to do setup again on every boot).

Guest teamkillexpert

so as long as the card stays cool everything should be ok?

cus now It's like popping up not responding messages for everything every minute.

doesn't seem to be working at all, plus I'm not even sure if sleep is working cuz I've left it sleeping for like an hour but it's gotten hotter. Although I'm charging but I doesn't get this hot in WM while charging.

Edited by teamkillexpert

Guest redzone321
The first problem is the error in the SDHC card's handling. The second is the SDHC card's heat consumption. My SDHC card on installation and first boot was really hot. I cooled it, and the first boot went really smooth. So try to cool down the card during the first boot.

Other:

If someone has a full chart on battery charging percentage/Volt, please post it to the developers, because the current Beta is using the i6500 battery table. That's why the battery percentage is different in WinMo and Android. Thanks!

how can i get this?

Guest Rapid81
Someone suggest a way to back up my progress in angry birds? I've made it pretty far, but my android install is starting to act up (keeps asking me to do setup again on every boot).

You can uise MyBackup from market or you can found it in \data\data I think.

Guest nonione

try downloading titanium backup from the market it could work

Guest wizard83
Try MyPhoneEx. The internet-on-usb is working with that program.

Are you sure about that? I install it and works for browsing contacts, sms, etc. but it seems that reverse tethering is not allowed in android.

Guest rumucor

hello boys, i have a problem. I changed my 8gb sd to a 2gb sd and everything go faster, but now i cant connect to wifi. The phone recognize all the wifi networks, but when i press connet dont do nothing. Wlan appears everytime "disconnected"

using the other sd card i didnt have this problem (i had others)

Edited by rumucor

Guest voyteckst
guys, there are news about some updated file for the beta?

Yes, but everybode keeps it in secret ;-)

If there will be update You will see it on phj website...

Guest djsolidsnake86
Yes, but everybode keeps it in secret ;-)

If there will be update You will see it on phj website...

i would love a real time testing updates (like the previous)

OK,here is what I did:

1.Install VMWare Player

2.Download UBUNTU 32 bit version from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

3.Install Ubuntu

4.Download & install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

5.Take your phone ,go to Samsung Settings USB settings and set USB Connection to My Storage

6.Back up your My Storage to Storage Card (or you will loose all data there)

7.Connect the phone to the PC-> it will connect like mass storage device

8.Open MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition,select the Storage device Samsung and delete the partition->then click create and create 1020 Mb(in my case of 2 GB Internal Storage) FAT 32 partition(give it a name like disk0 without space),there will be left about 1 GB unallocated storage->select right button,click create partition format EXT2 with a name like disk and select APPLY!->your My Storage will be formatted!!!you will see only 1 GB Storage device in My Computer in Windows.

9.Copy the entire beta1024 folder content on the root of the storage device in Windows! ,not the folder,the content with Android files: ext2.targz default.txt zImage o2beta folder Haret.exe and o2bupdate.tar.gz

10.Disconnect phone & launch VMWare Player and run UBUNTU.

11.connect the phone, it will be recognized like android storage device.

12.In the Ubuntu go to Applications-Accessories run Terminal,--> write down this:

sudo cp /media/disk0/ext2.tar.gz /media/disk/ and wait untill finishes

after that write:

cd /media/disk/ tehre will be a line like : cd /media/disk$

you must write down this after this line:

sudo tar xzvf ext2.tar.gz -C /media/disk

And you go,all the content of ext2.tar.gz will be extracted to disk (in this case Android partition) -> at the end of extraction unplug the phone from PC

13.Turn of the VMWare Plater & Ubuntu, plug the USB with the phone to PC again and edit the line:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init" to this:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"[/b and save it

14.Unplug phone -> and run Haret exe from the root of My Storage not from inside o2beta folder

And you are ready to test :lol:

sorry I dont have time post guide with pictures because haven't much time may be someone can make it but it is already posted youtube video how is done here:

http://www.modaco.com/content-page/322429/...8000/page/700/#

Regards & thanks to the developres provided this great work to all us!

Ekremsky

thanks for your guide. i did everything and i get an error when running haret.exe saying kernel panic - not sycing. no init found.

i guess the cmdline is not correct or im not sure.

EDIT: i figured it out. the cmdline is CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 init=/init"

Edited by radie

Guest aposhtol
thanks for your guide. i did everything and i get an error when running haret.exe saying kernel panic - not sycing. no init found.

EDIT: i figured it out. the cmdline is CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 init=/init"

Yes, it took me a while to figure this out too.

I must say that running Android from My Storage is simply another experience.. No lag and no data corruption.

Edited by aposhtol

Guest thew0lf

I must say that running Android from My Storage is simply another experience.. No lag and no data corruption.

I agree, the system seems smoother. Your android experience on SD relies on the quality of your card, whereas everyone has the same internal storage.

Regarding partitioning, I didn't want to modify the partition table, as I say that it had a special layout. I chose to simply format the existing FAT32 partition (mmcblk0p5 aka /dev/sdX5 under linux, where X is a letter) to ext3, using the "mkfs.ext3" unix tool. I then copied the file from the SD card ext3 partition to this one. The partition name to use in the kernel command line/arguments will be "mmcblk0p5" (be aware that, using this method, you'll have to put the boot files on your SD card or the regular storage, I'm talking about zImage, default.txt, and haret.exe). No need to run the install again. That way, if you wan't to get your "My Storage" in WinMo, just format the partition back to FAT32.

The SD card reader doesn't heat up like before. However the phone seems to heat from somewhere else now that I made the change. Maybe it's the internal storage chip. So everyone, be careful. If there is a problem with the way the kernel handles storage (wether it's internal or external, might be linked), then you maybe better burn a removable SD card than your phone's motherboard...

I'll be running to phone this way during the next few days and keep you informed.

Edited by thew0lf

Guest geoge1980

allways i take kernel panic when the program start formating the ext particion stop and ...............ext2.tar.gz is no found(or something like that) kernel panic - not sycing. no init found rebot in 10

and then rebot in 30 ............and then restart

the only way to instal in my phone is in page 35 post 700 but.....

1. the system is completly unstable and freeze

2.in the few moments the system works i trie to conect in the market and stays in the loading point and do nothing some times freeze at this point.the wifi conection to me works perfect.

3.i cant find the contacts that i have store in the sim card...i select the export from sim option and says there no contacts in the sim.

Format the storage card whith particion magic,wmo,windows,SDformater.Nothing......allways the same problem whith kernel panic .....ext2.tar.gz....the file is there why they instaler can't find it???

Sorry for my English

any idea???? :lol: :)

Edited by geoge1980

Guest voyteckst

It's rather strange, because My Storage is much slower than SD card (tested with SK tools).

Anyone use the Gen.Y.DualBoot? Is it working? Can someone show me how to setup it

Copy default.txt , haret.exe and zImage to your SD card , then install Gen.Y.DualBoot. and it works!

Um, Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init" worked for me, instead of the change you suggested (resulted in init not found). Also, Minitool partition tool converts the label of disk0 to upper caps "DISK0" so i had to make that change while typing in the terminal commands.

Guest elbee72
Copy default.txt , haret.exe and zImage to your SD card , then install Gen.Y.DualBoot. and it works!

install Gen.Y.DualBoot itself to internal memory to make it work

Guest rumucor
It seems that the high density/speed SDHC card cause problems - resulting sooner or later a damaged filesystem. So until we can issue a new beta using the internal flash, please use the "old" 1-2G SD card for android if possible....

i can confirm that. When a i used a 4gb sdhc card everytyme i had problems: popups in android about problems and force close, The wifi was bad, slow and the market was very very slow too. Yesterday i changed the 4 gb card to a 2gb card and everything goes faster: wifi, market, i don have popups force close.

Sorry for my english

Guest CrisisX

Tested this on my i8000 last night, could express enough thanks for the team for their effort.

Below are some of my feedbacks:

1) Clock running fast

2) Unable to turn on WLAN (sometimes), need to restart

3) Some apps are not able to work accordingly, perhaps something to do with the 2D/3D engine?

4) Camera...

5) On certain occasion, when I accidentally skipped (cause I try to unlock my phone) the PIN input (for SIM card), I need to restart to get back to the input

6) Is there anyway to switch the back/cancel button to "hangup" button, instead of the "camera" button

Again, thanks to the team for your efforts, you guys rock!!

side note: i'm using a 8gb SDHC, but i didnt notice any problem (yet) with the performance

Edited by CrisisX

Guest voyteckst
i can confirm that. When a i used a 4gb sdhc card everytyme i had problems: popups in android about problems and force close, The wifi was bad, slow and the market was very very slow too. Yesterday i changed the 4 gb card to a 2gb card and everything goes faster: wifi, market, i don have popups force close.

Sorry for my english

I'm using actually 4gb sdhc class 4 and no problems so far. But I'm using ext3 filesystem - don't know if this is connected with all these issues...

6) Is there anyway to switch the back/cancel button to "hangup" button, instead of the "camera" button

yes there is one

edit the file in /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl (make a backup before)

chwon 1000:100 & chmod 755 /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl (adb shell or or linux-box)

that should help .

i have mapped only 3 keys on my B7610 because the keyboard drives me crazy

the key's on my B7610 are totaly diffrent .. it should work better on a I8000

Edited by mosci

Guest ritchietos

iam running andoid for 3 days now it never freezes on me no errors en fast ( runnig on sd bud did the format and partition whit kde partiton)

if iam using the partion bulder from haret my sd get corrupted a bid it works bud after a few runs and reboots it get crashes and its over.

did it via haret 4 times and stil the same thing .

now its running for 3 days ( whit kde partition ) no erros and installet allot of aps (via wifi )and home replacer (awn) and pro launcher running smooth.

just 1 bug somtimes i dont get the sms or call if my phone sleeps verry long when its awake i get the sms 2 minutes later then.

whit awn home replacer the sms call bug seemt to bee gone just installet this morning .

btw sorry for my bad english :lol: