Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

excellent on the beta :lol:

1) make sure your sd card is fat and not fat32

2) Market place doesnt work. it keeps saying server error and yet my apad has no problems (running android 2.1 mind you)

Does anyone else have problems? im in New Zealand does that make a difference?

I'm in Italy, what should be the difference? This beta is only English and Chinese, and market works ok here. The important thing is wifi. Are you able to browse? If wifi fails for some reason (it happened to me), the market will not work.

Guest jfive.5
I'm in Italy, what should be the difference? This beta is only English and Chinese, and market works ok here. The important thing is wifi. Are you able to browse? If wifi fails for some reason (it happened to me), the market will not work.

Yes I can browse the internet and do email etc etc there is no problem with wifi.

Guest Shadowlord666

Today I had to remove my Android beta because WiFi didn't connect at all anymore.

After installation, internet was working, but Android market wasn't. I don't know why, it was working before, but now I couldn't download anything.

Fortunately, I've made a backup of the latest market app before reinstalling Android.

After installing the "com.android.vending.apk", market was working again.

Want to try it out?

http://ul.to/p6u58h

Guest emptyara

Go into disk manager on windows -> delete all partitions on the SD card.

(If this doesn't work, use diskpart (cmd tool) to remove them.

After you removed every partition, format as FAT (just normal FAT) and try to install again. If that doesn't work, try FAT32 or FAT16 whatever you like :lol:

thank u for ur info.. since my 1st android boot is from SD so like u told i have to delete the existed partition in SD. n i make a new partition with FAT32 but still not manage to get it boot from my storage.

confused...do i need to copy merged [ext2.tar.gz + o2update] or let them separate with others (zimage, haret, default, o2beta folder) in My storage?

I followed all the step, but only make adjustment on partition size in my storage. instead of choose like what is in method (1gb FAT32 + 1gb ext2), i make it as (3.6 FAT32 [disk0] + 3.50 ext2 [disk] - would this can cause it from not working?

another thing is I am not using VMWare since I using my other desktop pc runnning Ubuntu.. - so would this two thing is my problem.. any suggestion would be pleased..

Edited by emptyara

Guest xkill3rprox
This is not a good idea, because if something may go wrong with your WinMo, you cannot do a hardreset, because the image needed to it, stored on a hidden partition on My Storage.

So what should i do?n

Guest manoflamatzah
One more wishing for CDMA i920 Omnia II Support. Great work thus far devs, bringing an awesome OS to our sammys quite the task

:lol: DITTO - waiting for the CDMA version...

Guest emptyara

trying to boot from My Storage, but still cant get it work .. i did hardreset to my phone as to get fresh start..

able to extracted ext2.tar.gz from disk0 (FAT32) to disk-android partition (ext2) using ubuntu.. after that change the default.txt with

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 init=/init"

however this is what i've got

VFS: Mounted root (vfat filesystem) on device

Freeing init memory : 140K

BFS CPU scheduler v0.310 by Con Kolivas

Warning : unable to open an initial console.

failed to exacute/init. Attempting defaults

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Guest betamale
trying to boot from My Storage, but still cant get it work .. i did hardreset to my phone as to get fresh start..

able to extracted ext2.tar.gz from disk0 (FAT32) to disk-android partition (ext2) using ubuntu.. after that change the default.txt with

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 init=/init"

however this is what i've got

VFS: Mounted root (vfat filesystem) on device

Freeing init memory : 140K

BFS CPU scheduler v0.310 by Con Kolivas

Warning : unable to open an initial console.

failed to exacute/init. Attempting defaults

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

I had the same problem ... I tried 5 or 6 times but it did not work...

Then I did it like ErnstJanF in #842 said: .... format disk0 as FAT (just normal FAT) and install again...

and use Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"

After that it worked for me ... and I am playing around on my winmOMIAndroid :lol:

Guest emptyara
I had the same problem ... I tried 5 or 6 times but it did not work...

Then I did it like ErnstJanF in #842 said: .... format disk0 as FAT (just normal FAT) and install again...

and use Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"

After that it worked for me ... and I am playing around on my winmOMIAndroid :lol:

going to try this.. hope it will working fine..

edited:

still no chance for me.. but, i thought ErnsJanF mean to do SD partition in FAT ?

already try FAT format partition on both SD and Storage Device. i guess the step could be vary for everyone.. :)

Edited by emptyara

Guest Prometheus5061

G'day folks... I was just thinking about the original android post.. anyone heard from that Brian guy from Africa??? I'm sure NOW he'll be able to release a samdroid version!!!! :lol: lol

cheers all

Edited by Prometheus5061

Guest voyteckst

I just tested my storage and sd card installations and performance (measured with quadrant) is the same (or even minimally worse on my storage).

Mayby my storage speed depends on how big it is? I have 8gb.

Guest ritchietos

iam running on my storage it runs more stable than sd ( 2gb +-7mb write speed) my storage is 8 gb +- 12 mb write speed 6 gb fat 32 and 2 gb ext2

runnig android 2 days now and everting stil works perfect no crash or force close popup. playet alot of games and aps

lol its even running bether and smoother than my topaz android buld and they working for years on that .

just one problem my cals gets interrupted after e few sec .

perfect work u guys have done !!!!! many thanks for the new life of omnia 2

edit i found my cal problem removed all lockscreens of windows mobile en enery rom and (so in windows mobile if my device go to sleep its stays in sleep ) my last cal was 7 min. no problems

and i have found a much faster responds on unlocking .

Edited by ritchietos

Today I had to remove my Android beta because WiFi didn't connect at all anymore.

After installation, internet was working, but Android market wasn't. I don't know why, it was working before, but now I couldn't download anything.

Fortunately, I've made a backup of the latest market app before reinstalling Android.

After installing the "com.android.vending.apk", market was working again.

Want to try it out?

http://ul.to/p6u58h

Same here with the market not working today but can browse internet.

Unfortunately the apk you provided comes up "app not installed" on my phone.

Guest voyteckst
iam running on my storage it runs more stable than sd ( 2gb +-7mb write speed) my storage is 8 gb +- 12 mb write speed 6 gb fat 32 and 2 gb ext2

runnig android 2 days now and everting stil works perfect no crash or force close popup. playet alot of games and aps

lol its even running bether and smoother than my topaz android buld and they working for years on that .

I'm using ext3 and didn't have any crash on SD from the date when beta came.

Same here with the market not working today but can browse internet.

Unfortunately the apk you provided comes up "app not installed" on my phone.

OK fixed it. Needed to go into managed programs and uninstall updates of market. Works again woohoo.

Guest siriarobe1
I'm using ext3 and didn't have any crash on SD from the date when beta came.

What needs to change to use an ext3 partition on SD?

I ask you to create a ext3 partition SD Android but once I installed the partition is ext2?? Simply edit the file default.txt?

Thank you very much.

Sorry form my English. :lol:

Edited by siriarobe1

Guest voyteckst
What needs to change to use an ext3 partition on SD?

I ask you to create a ext3 partition SD Android but once I installed the partition is ext2?? Simply edit the file default.txt?

Thank you very much.

Sorry form my English. :lol:

I installed android beta manually - just created ext3 partition under linux and then unpacked beta content to it.

But it can be also converted to ext3 with tune2fs linux utility (as far as I remember option -j).

Edited by voyteckst

Guest siriarobe1
I installed android beta manually - just created ext3 partition under linux and then unpacked beta content to it.

But it can be also converted to ext3 with tune2fs linux utility (as far as I remember option -j).

But I do not have linux, work with Windows 7, can I do all this without linux?

Thanks again.

Edited by siriarobe1

Guest emptyara

edit i found my cal problem removed all lockscreens of windows mobile en enery rom and (so in windows mobile if my device go to sleep its stays in sleep ) my last cal was 7 min. no problems

and i have found a much faster responds on unlocking .

i wonder what u did that might miss look by me..?? ok, just to make it clear for me, at least... OK now I already format SD card and Device Storage (My Storage), so try do same like u did, I mean 6gb fat32 + 2gb ext2 { primary or logical for both ?} I choose fat32 as primary n ext2 logical.. is it ok? next, how are u patch 2d/3d n zimage ? is is after first android boot? or I can prepared all the files (zimage, 2d/3d) together n then run haret..

Guest dreamch4

Yesterday i installed android. i would like to thank the developers cause it is great..

anyway i am going to tell about some of the problems i found:

-sometimes when i lock my omnia2, i can't unlock it pressing the button as the screen doesn't turn on. i can unlock it only a minute later.

-when i turn on android, my SIM card isn't recognized. sometimes it is recognized some minutes later, or never.

-it happens sometimes that i can't enable wireless.

-i tried angry birds and it's reeeeally sloooow!

Then i would please you to develop WAP and WEB connection! when i am away from home and i need to look for something on the internet, i don't want to use windows mobile because it's slow.

I suggest to use Funambol to import contacts on Android, it's the only way i found.

if there is a way to solve my problems, tell me! :lol:

Guest Rapid81
But I do not have linux, work with Windows 7, can I do all this without linux?

Thanks again.

You can use any Virtual Machine program (for example VirtualBox) and any kind of Linux Live CD/DVD (for example KDE Partition Manager Live).

Guest siriarobe1
You can use any Virtual Machine program (for example VirtualBox) and any kind of Linux Live CD/DVD (for example KDE Partition Manager Live).

I'll try. Thanks ... :lol:

Guest ErnstJanF
thank u for ur info.. since my 1st android boot is from SD so like u told i have to delete the existed partition in SD. n i make a new partition with FAT32 but still not manage to get it boot from my storage.

confused...do i need to copy merged [ext2.tar.gz + o2update] or let them separate with others (zimage, haret, default, o2beta folder) in My storage?

I followed all the step, but only make adjustment on partition size in my storage. instead of choose like what is in method (1gb FAT32 + 1gb ext2), i make it as (3.6 FAT32 [disk0] + 3.50 ext2 [disk] - would this can cause it from not working?

another thing is I am not using VMWare since I using my other desktop pc runnning Ubuntu.. - so would this two thing is my problem.. any suggestion would be pleased..

You need to remove all the partitions from the SD card and format it as one partition (FAT or FAT32).

Then you format the my storage (don't delete partition, just format) and copy the beta to my storage.

Next, you launch haret.exe from my storage 'O2beta' folder.

If it does not install, delete the partitions again and try to format from winmo.

After installing from O2beta/haret.exe, launch the haret.exe from the root of my storage.

Guest voyteckst

I suggest to use Funambol to import contacts on Android, it's the only way i found.

Simplest way is to use google and synchronize wm contacts with it (m.google.com as exchange server). I'm using it as a contact server and calendar fo thunderbird, wm and android.