Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest pepsipig
Can someone make a new working ext2.tar from the latest files? This would help a lot of noobs like me. I can't access the microsd android partition without any cardreader or adapter. Is there anyway to see both partitions in windows using O2 as cardreader? Thanks in advance.

+1 ! i'm downloading vmware and ubuntu,but i have no idea how to use them..

Edited by pepsipig

+1 ! i'm downloading vmware and ubuntu,but i have no idea how to use them..

After you completely downloaded both installers, Install first the VM Player and then run it, then now you can install ubuntu vm on it. Don't worry, installation of virtual machine is not difficult. However, for ubuntu linux, somehow you should be familiar with basic shell commands such as "ls", "tar", "mount", etc... You can manage to extract the ext.tar.gz and other update filees on your ext3 using the Nautilus file explorer.

Guest TIEfighter
After you completely downloaded both installers, Install first the VM Player and then run it, then now you can install ubuntu vm on it. Don't worry, installation of virtual machine is not difficult. However, for ubuntu linux, somehow you should be familiar with basic shell commands such as "ls", "tar", "mount", etc... You can manage to extract the ext.tar.gz and other update filees on your ext3 using the Nautilus file explorer.

I´ll try a different approach which doesn´t require windows ubuntu of course. I´ll try to put the o2b2filesys files into ext2.tar with 7-Zip, if it works I´ll post it here

Edited by TIEfighter

Guest FactionOne

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS - I EXPECT IT WILL WORK, AND DON'T SEE ANY POSSIBLE PROBLEM, BUT AS ALWAYS, TEST AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

For folks who can't or don't want to do an Ubuntu install...

To do an 'easy' install to SD using the NEW BETA2 files...

1) Open a BETA1 package.

2) Put the o2beta folder, haret.exe and default.txt in the root of your 'My Storage'

3) Open the BETA2 package.

4) Put the zImage and o2b2filesys.tar.gz in the root of your 'My Storage'

5) Rename o2b2filesys.tar.gz to ext2.tar.gz (this is so the 'old' installer will be able to extract the file for you)

[EDIT: Thanks to ult_nrg for testing/feedback, here are confirmed steps for 2D/3D Library install]

6) Download a 2D/3D Library package (these are linked in the thread, I'm using a package by nOObody, recommended by Rapid81) [i will add a link when I go back through the thread]

7) Rename the o2update.tar.gz file to o2b2update.tar.gz (for new auto-update routine) and put it in the root of your 'My Storage'

8) (Where necessary) Clear (on PC), and Format your SD card in the WinMo Samsung Settings

9) Run \My Storage\o2beta\haret.exe

9a) -= haret.exe will boot a linux shell on your device and set-up the partitions on the SD card, wait for device to reboot=-

10) Run \MyStorage\haret.exe

10a) -= haret.exe will boot Android from your SD card and set-up routine will run, wait for Android to start=-

My advice once you've booted for the first time is let the device 'settle down' for maybe a minute (try to keep the screen awake (tap occassionally) just in case), then shut it down and boot again before changing settings/installing apps etc. In theory it shouldn't make a difference, but I (and some others) have found it seems to help.

Good luck!

Rob.

Edited by FactionOne

Just to share my experience as well:

New installation to my storage on ext2 1 GB partition with ubuntu, after I copied the 2D/3D libs.

++ The battery seems to last more. After one hour play with the phone with WiFi and GPS enabled I had 55% (From not really full 100% and after 3-4 reboots). Seems to be synchronized with the WinMo level. Still the most of the consumption comes from Cell standby.

++ the root of the phone working correctly out-of-the-box (at least tested with Root checker, I forgot to enter in /data folder to check manually)

++ the overall experience seems to be snappier. In Quadrant I received again 291. Tried Rockplayer and the video performance (via software decoder) was double to the beta 1 but still slow and with audio/video desync

== wake up from sleep state seems to be at the same level like before - once, my phone was blocked and no action key woke it up (neither when I connected it to the charger)

== 3G not tested as I don't have data plan

-- ext3 partition is veryyyy slow. Recommended to use ext2 (even if it is weaker filesystem)

-- for some reason the Home switcher is not working for me and i cannot even uninstall it neither install new version over it. The same with Launcher Pro.

Demand to developers: pls remove them from the package.

And one notice: it's just mentioned that there's no EGL (2D/3D) drivers but in fact it is mandatory to install them if you wanna to not finish like me with rebooting phone after the text part of the boot up (no Android logo) :P

Thanks again to the devs, it's clearly an evolution over the last beta 1 version. Go on :D

Edited by surenz

Guest ult_nrg
I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS - I EXPECT IT WILL WORK, AND DON'T SEE ANY POSSIBLE PROBLEM, BUT AS ALWAYS, TEST AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

For folks who can't or don't want to do an Ubuntu install...

To do an 'easy' install to SD using the NEW BETA2 files...

1) Open a BETA1 package.

2) Put the o2beta folder, haret.exe and default.txt in the root of your 'My Storage'

3) Open the BETA2 package.

4) Put the zImage and o2b2filesys.tar.gz in the root of your 'My Storage'

5) Rename o2b2filesys.tar.gz to ext2.tar.gz (this is so the 'old' installer will be able to extract the file for you)

Now you're ready to install. You might want to include some 2D/3D libs; and there are a several ways you could do that. If you want an 'easy' way (like above); the first thing you will have to do is rename the 2D/3D file o2update.tar.gz to o2b2update.tar.gz (this is so the 'new' auto-update routine will be able to extract the file for you). You also have a choice of when you add the renamed update file to install the 2D/3D libraries...

You could rename the file and put it in My Storage straight away, and let Android take the update as soon as possible; or you may want to run the setup of Android first, and once it has booted for the first time, shut it down and then add the 2D/3D libs before next boot; different users have had different results - choose which one you prefer, and if it doesn't work, try the other way on your next reinstall :P

So, to continue the installation:

6) (Where necessary) Clear (on PC), and Format your SD card in the WinMo Samsung Settings

7) Run \My Storage\o2beta\haret.exe

7a) -= haret.exe will boot a linux shell on your device and set-up the partitions on the SD card, wait for device to reboot=-

8) Run \MyStorage\haret.exe

8a) -= haret.exe will boot Android from your SD card and set-up routine will run, wait for Android to start=-

My advice once you've booted for the first time is let the device 'settle down' for maybe a minute (try to keep the screen awake (tap occassionally) just in case), then shut it down and boot again before changing settings/installing apps etc. In theory it shouldn't make a difference, but I (and some others) have found it seems to help.

Good luck!

Rob.

Confirmed working, HOWEVER:

You must put the 3D driver package in the first run of android (you cannot wait for one reboot). This is NOT like the first beta, where you could put the driver package in afterwards.

If you do not put the 3D driver package in, you will get the TPC transfer starting and your phone will reboot (without seeing the Android bootscreen at all)

Guest FactionOne

Apologies for separate post, but this has nothing to do with the guide (/suggestion) above; so I thought splitting posts would probably be better - I promise I'll be more brief! :P

I've just done a clean install with the Beta 2 files to an EXT3 partition on My Storage. Things I've noticed:

1) First boot was perfect. Straight into Android with no problems at all.

2) I was able to set-up APN, and I got a notification icon to show G, E & 3G and occassional activity (btw, will we ever see HSDPA, or will it only ever show 3G? (just curious)).

3) I was able to configure WiFi with no problem either.

4) Set-up Google account, contacts synchronised via WiFi - no problem.

5) Able to install apps from Market over WiFi.

6) WiFi signal strength didn't seem to work until after a reboot.

7) Browser, Market, TweetDeck aren't able to make connections over GSM/3G data. (OK on WiFi)

8) Android doesn't see any system sounds/tones (I watched the ogg files extract OK in Ubuntu, but Android doesn't see them).

9) I have not had sleep-of-death yet; but it is slow to wake up - needs a few button presses and will wake ~5 seconds later. It's immediate if the charger is plugged-in.

10) I have problems in calls again, earpiece goes dead after a minute or two, can wake and enable speakerphone, but if I let the screen go to sleep that will cut out too, so I have to wake again, turn speaker off then on to get the call back.

11) At shutdown, it seems to unmount the SD card first (there's a little 'wait' message and you can see the notification in the background) where it didn't before, which I imagine can only be a good thing.

I've had some of the issues in the past, and a reinstall has cleared them; so I'm going to try that - and maybe on an ext2 just to see if there's any discernable difference. If I discover anything useful I will report back...

Thanks everyone for your hard work,

Rob.

Edited by FactionOne

Guest cicciosprint

My Android installation, so far, is working damn fine - battery and audio aside, which I tend to blame on a faulty filesystem. I wonder, if I were to manually backup the ext2 partition could I at any time roll back to my previous version, in order now to check for a fresh install of beta 2?

Oh and again, wondering about 3G data: so it's NOT HDSPA?

Android shows about 10% drop in battery (dont know how credible it is, but its definitely a huge drop) in an hour of, mostly standby. Device taking 3-4 seconds and 3-4 button presses to wake up. Either the new update hasn't fixed battery/sleep or i'm doing something wrong, although i've done exactly as a few others have.

Edited by paw1

Guest Clemenzo

I was on beta1 + o2 patch dated 01/31 and also applied 2d/3d driver patch. Applied the beta2 patch (not fresh install), 3g, gps works well. I had a number of calls today but noticed the calls get disconnected randomly. I didn't have this problem before. Battery life appears better. Haven't try wifi. Am on ext3 filesystem.

Guest darkworldzz
i have no problem with wep, but i got mute sound after i answer the call. must turn on speakerphone and turn back off again.

did you do a fresh install of beta 2 or update??

Oh and market is more stable now.. Clock is still messed up..

Edited by darkworldzz

I've done a fresh install but it doesn't boot. formated the ext3 partition on my storage, copied the new files to the ext3 partition, replaced the new zImage. and after ipc transfer it gives some error then blank screen and it reboots to windows.

What did I wrong?

I've done a fresh install but it doesn't boot. formated the ext3 partition on my storage, copied the new files to the ext3 partition, replaced the new zImage. and after ipc transfer it gives some error then blank screen and it reboots to windows.

What did I wrong?

You don't read the last posts :P That's what you're doing wrongly :D No offence :huh:

For the market I noticed that it's not upgrading to the new version which is nice because I didn't like the new curved version. And as mentioned it's more stable.

Edited by surenz

Guest darkworldzz

What did I wrong?

Did you try to boot android again after first boot?

Here's what i did,

Fresh install first beta (that means formatting SD and again in Samsung settings)

Update to Radie's full package on the android FAQS thread

Update to beta 2

Or you can follow factionone's method.