Why?

Guest arlrb

I thought I knew why to root, but now i'm not so sure.

I used to have the Dell Streak, & in a word, rubbish (SW not HW).

Dell are that bad that the guys on the forums are coming up with the OSs before they do, but of course this requires rooting. (I understand)

Yet, now I have the Desire HD & I'm quite smitten; it has the latest OS, almost everything works as it should etc, so why root?

I understand that rooting allows you to remove SW/apps that you might not ordinarily be able to (amazon music store etc), but what other benefits can I get from rooting this phone, especially when there's an app in the market for pretty much anything.

Is it worth it?

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I knew why to root, but now i'm not so sure.

I used to have the Dell Streak, & in a word, rubbish (SW not HW).

Dell are that bad that the guys on the forums are coming up with the OSs before they do, but of course this requires rooting. (I understand)

Yet, now I have the Desire HD & I'm quite smitten; it has the latest OS, almost everything works as it should etc, so why root?

I understand that rooting allows you to remove SW/apps that you might not ordinarily be able to (amazon music store etc), but what other benefits can I get from rooting this phone, especially when there's an app in the market for pretty much anything.

Is it worth it?

You could install setcpu and underclock the device. Paul has underclocked his and got great improvements in battery life.