Desire Unlock - a warning

Guest v1sor69

Guest v1sor69

All,

Tonight I unlocked my T-Mobile Desire HD. I purchased the unlock from htccode.com - and I've purchased unlocks from these guys in the past, but I have to give you all fair warning so that you don't get stung like I did.

First of all, the unlock worked. It's not the unlock that I'm complaining about - it's the way I was charged. Let me explain:

I went to the website and checked out the pricing. This is a direct cut and paste from their page:

All phones cost €15 (20% off - normal price €18) to unlock.

Quite simple really. I paid instantly, and expected the software provided to work as it had done for me before - it did not. I then got an email:

Hi

Please give me the totalgsm id (TotalGSM Imei client login id ex T_GSM...), imei , model, network with country and paypal email address.

We will email you the code.

Regards

I sent the details. The next email I received wasn't the code, but the following instead:

Basically, the price wasn't €15 ($20), but $35 in total - almost twice the cost. In the UK that's called Bait and Switch. He already had $20 of my cash - and I didn't hold out much hope of getting that refunded so got the unlock sorted. I sent an email after all was said and done and told him I was unhappy - not heard a peep out of him - says it all really.

Like I said - the unlock worked. The whole process, and robbing me of the extra $15 is bloody questionable. Someone on here talked about the "additional cost email" and I didn't believe it.

Let my lesson be your lesson. I will never use htccode.com again. I would recommend that you also avoid them.

</rant>

Guest v1sor69
Did you actually ask them to refund the initial $20?

No I didn't - can you imagine the hassle of going through a PayPal refund - assuming, of course, that it was processed immediately by htccodes.com. However, that is not the point of my original post - which is bait and switch.

Update: I got an email back from the guy. "I have to pay more". Well, that's fine - and I like I've already said, I have no problem paying as long as I know what the basic price is. Do not offer something for $20 then charge $35 for it. Simple.

Guest AndyCr15

Paul used to have these guys linked from the forum, then the Desire came out and they did this to me. I refused the second payment and asked for a refund, which they didn't respond to.

Eventually (after phone calls) I got Paypal to give my money back. I pointed out to Paul they were rather dishonest and they are no longer on this site.

Guest rexton270

That's really a ripp off !!!

I would rather donate to some experts from XDA-DEV and get my device unlocked.

These unlock web sites are mostly scam or "middleman" garbage...