Hack to remove/disable Ads - Advertisements

Guest Ernoke

Guys, is there any way to disable/remove ads displayed when using some free applications? As far as I can see, its some android/google service, so maybe on a rooted phone with a patched library it might be possible to disable them all...

Guest Carbonize

Not sure if it's related but after installing AdFree my GPS was worse than ever before. I did single fix via the GPS Test menu in the hidden menu and got a zeros for both the azimuth and altitude of the satellites :|

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Not sure if it's related but after installing AdFree my GPS was worse than ever before. I did single fix via the GPS Test menu in the hidden menu and got a zeros for both the azimuth and altitude of the satellites :|

Just replace System/Etc/Hosts, with a hosts file of your choice, with any file explorer, like root explorer, or Astro, etc.

No app needed..just unzip and replace.....its easy.

I've attached the latest one from the site I use, and it can be used for both phone and pc.

The site is here! for future reference

hosts.zip

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest Carbonize

I actually don't like using preset blocking lists or even things like SpyBot as they add thousands of domains to your blocked list but I've actually been bored enough to go through them one day and quite a sizeable amount were no longer active domains. What I am saying is whilst they actively add to the lists they never go back and check if any can be removed. That and a lot of the domains listed on the hosts file you have suggested are actually blocked as they try to install malware to your Windows OS and so no real need to block them on Android.

There are two options - firstly, pay for the applications that aren't ad supported - if you like the app, why not support the developer? If that isn't possible (like with my favourite game - 250+ solitaire), use tasker to turn off data when you run those apps. (Though if you have an aversion to paying for apps, that won't work, as you need to pay for tasker :rolleyes:).

Guest ASY9650
Except neither of your options would help with saving data usage when surfing the net. Ad removal does not just apply to the ads in apps.

This is true, but the poster asked the following,

Guys, is there any way to disable/remove ads displayed when using some free applications? As far as I can see, its some android/google service, so maybe on a rooted phone with a patched library it might be possible to disable them all...

No offense he was referring to removing ads with free applications :rolleyes:.

So the above may in fact be a valid response.