[Problem] Echo Sound and Noise during Call

Guest KingsizeX

Guest KingsizeX

I frequently have this problem during calls, where people on the other side complaint about loud Echo and Noise on call sound.

I've done some testing with LCR and LEAKS and problem exists on both.

I've tried Audio Hacks, changing Network Mode, deactivating every internal component I could like Wifi and Sensors and the problem persists.

I have had this problem on early versions of Android 1.6 LCR, then it got better on Android 2.1 LCR versions, now it is back with Android 2.2

Any clue to solve this? Anyone as an hint on the source of the problem?

I suspect it is a Baseband/Radio problem... no?

I'm on Vodafone Portugal using LCR-F + 1.1.1 patch.

Any portuguese users have this symptom?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE

Roms I have tested

- LCR-F + 1.1.2 patch

- Roggin's CM6.1 Build (Based on Xian's device tree)

- Xian (LiquidF) v1.2a [11/1/2010] - CM 6.1.0-RC

- Acer_LiquidE_4.002.08_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05 (LEAK)

I have this problem with all of them! :rolleyes:

UPDATE 2

I'm now testing the "Oficial Rogers Froyo" from this post and it seems that sound is much better, so far I had no "strong" symptom, just normal minor glitches from network environment, but give me a few more days to test. If this is a Rom build setting or tweak, our beloved Rom Devs will for fix this taking this Rom as example.

BTW this froyo oficial build for Rogers/Fido seems great, battery, fast and stable! Much better than latest Leak we knew. It came with AWD and no Acer UI that I personally don't like...

Edited by KingsizeX

Guest KingsizeX

Honestly I have not tried MIUI nor CM6 I was waiting for Xian to finish the port... been waiting for it for a long time so I could reach some conclusion.

Maybe I'm going to try it before final version just to see if the problem goes on.

Meanwhile any help or directions would be appreciated! :rolleyes:

Guest KingsizeX

UPDATE: Ok I tried it with Xian's CM6 port and the problem persists.

Anoying echo on the other side of the call and sometimes a disturbing backgroud noise.

I must say that the noise and echo happens mostly on the other side, although it had happened to me.

This symptom is present also on my brother's Acer Liquid A1 also. He is using LCR-F and is on the same network as me (Vodafone PT).

So I have two phones with the same symptom! This should be a network problem right?

Edited by KingsizeX

UPDATE: Ok I tried it with Xian's CM6 port and the problem persists.

Anoying echo on the other side of the call and sometimes a disturbing backgroud noise.

I must say that the noise and echo happens mostly on the other side, although it had happened to me.

This symptom is present also on my brother's Acer Liquid A1 also. He is using LCR-F and is on the same network as me (Vodafone PT).

So I have two phones with the same symptom! This should be a network problem right?

I have the same problem, I also get complaints about getting my voicemail directly. I'm on Vodafone in The Netherlands...

Have you tried reflashing Eclair?

Edited by DiluTe

I have the same problem and i'm on Tele2 in Sweden.. Could it be a problem with the .Bin?

I've tried a couple of different ROMs like Lcr, and both Xians and Roggins Cyanogenmod, but still the same problem..

I've been thinking of reflashing the bin file, not sure if that's thw problem but i have tried anything else..

Guest KingsizeX

Hi people! It's good to know that people are gathering around this issue, this way someone might come up with a solution.

To start I must say I've tested every Rom available for the Acer A1 and all have the same problem. At least on my device and on my brother's too.

I've been doing some research and found that this kind of problem was also present on some HTC devices like the Nexus 1, Desire and so on...

I also found that people worked it out and apparently have managed to fix the problem with audio hacks and patches on custom roms. There is also an app on market to perform these audio hacks. Unfortunately these hacks don't work with our Acer Liquid (i took the time to test them and didn't notice any improvement).

I've also been playing around with tweaking some settings on "build.prop" and trying to find out their effect on the system. This as been widely discussed on some forums because it is possible to tweak some network settings on this file. People have managed to boost GPRS and HSPA upload and download speeds by changing settings here. These mod are being used in many custom roms now, like Cyanogen for example.

Maybe an experienced Dev here could help us figure out if any settings here could improve network reception/audio quality on our devices.

Could this be improved by changing any settings on audio codecs used on communication?

Could this be improved tweaking some network settings like "fast dormancy" for instance?

Could this be caused by bad microphone? -> I don't think so cause it doesn't happen on every call.

I remember someone reporting this back in the days of LCR 1.7 and some improvements have been made on a released patch, I remember the sound got better.

Maybe Malez could take a look at this? Or give us some advice.

Could you Malez? Please? :huh:

Thank you all for keeping this thread going! We might find a solution.

Please people keep investigating! :rolleyes:

same problem on acer liquid e s100 in italy with 3 ita. but expecially when on the other side ther's a nokia e71 on 3 ita and not everytime. with other phone seems it happens less.

seems better with ls 2.2.0b rom and maybe just a little with miui. with lcr f 1.1.1 is very annoing but not every time

Guest Chewy11

I would support an effort to raise the max sound level, for both speakers. So far different ROM's have given me many different results. I cant remember which, but ONE stood out as being LOUD. LCR has gone up and down(ups are noted in changelog) and is reasonable now, not the loudest ringer(but good enough); call quality for me on 1.1.2 is fuzzy and a 7 out of 10. Louder ROM's made it so I always had to go 1 (sometimes 2) settings down from MAX to avoid distortion. I think our latest ROM's must have a filter that downgrades the sound to play fewer frequencies at a higher level with less distortion(to favor our speakers physical realities), unfortunately lower sample or bit rates give more background noise-think vinyl to cassette to cd to losseless 96 bit storage hogs.

Vache was playing with sound this week maybe he has some more facts for us.

Guest KingsizeX
same problem on acer liquid e s100 in italy with 3 ita. but expecially when on the other side ther's a nokia e71 on 3 ita and not everytime. with other phone seems it happens less.

seems better with ls 2.2.0b rom and maybe just a little with miui. with lcr f 1.1.1 is very annoing but not every time

Hi thepaperboy!

Funny thing I realized now... maybe it is no coincidence at all that I get this behavior when calling Nokia phones! In my case there are 2 models wich I almost always get the echo sound, Nokia 5800, Nokia N95.

I also have this issue, it's not a hardware problem since it works great with headphones plugged in (the solution I use for now).

Edited by eelmor

Guest KingsizeX
I also have this issue, it's not a hardware problem since it works great with headphones plugged in (the solution I use for now).

I have not tested with headphones yet but what about if it is a microphone sensitivity problem that goes away with the use of the headphones?

Guest KingsizeX
I have flashed official 2.1 with LCR-E 1.8.2.2 and my problems are gone now...

Glad to hear that! Like I mentioned in my first post "it got better on Android 2.1 LCR versions" B)

NOTE: I am now using Latest Oficial Froyo from Rogers/Fido posted here and the problem seems to be gone :) at least with 1 day of testing!

It seems a good sign before oficial Acer Froyo is out!

I'll keep you posted!

Glad to hear that! Like I mentioned in my first post "it got better on Android 2.1 LCR versions" B)

NOTE: I am now using Latest Oficial Froyo from Rogers/Fido posted here and the problem seems to be gone :) at least with 1 day of testing!

I'll keep you posted!

Thats good news, I hope final 2.2 won't have these bugs :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest split2th
Glad to hear that! Like I mentioned in my first post "it got better on Android 2.1 LCR versions" :)

NOTE: I am now using Latest Oficial Froyo from Rogers/Fido posted here and the problem seems to be gone ;) at least with 1 day of testing!

I'll keep you posted!

I've got the problem on fido in Canada, also using the official release of froyo. I've switched to using 3g to see if that helps.

Guest Jazzyfizzle

Same issue, Liquid A1 running 4.002.14.EMEA.GEN1_A22F_A_256 with Roggins CM1.2.

The issue is intermittent, but highly annoying.

My network operator is T-Mobile UK.

Guest KingsizeX

I found that this is a behavior related to low network reception. Our Liquid doesn't handle sound on 2G very well... I've been logging signal strength where and when I have this problem and it is always on these conditions.

I don't know if any dev could have a look into this... I've reported it on LCR bug tracker but seems like Malez hasn't been able to deal with this so far.

It will happen with every Rom! Has this seems to me a Radio/Baseband problem.

Acer should be dealing with it!

Guest jalankakapsatu

i have the same problem here in indonesia, when my HH tilted the sound came up,its not happen to me but the sound heard by the one that i called.

do u think its because of network problem??or accelerometer...i dont know...

Sorry for bad english...TQ