Huawei Ascend Help

Guest djlegion

Guest djlegion

I purchased a Huawei Ascend from cricKet. I used SuperOneClick v1.5.5 to root the device. Currently it's running the stock ROM.

I want to install custom ROMS but I'm very hesitant to due to the fact there is no nandroid backup option in the recovery.

1) How do I get the ability to do a nandroid backup?

2) Would this ROM work on my phone? FLB

Also, on the Huawei Ascend Wiki page, it mentions about some "Patched Recovery Mode" that includes Nandroid. How and where is this recovery patch?

Thanks for the help. I came from a rooted HTC Droid Eris (Verizon)

Edited by djlegion

Guest feelmychi
I purchased a Huawei Ascend from cricKet. I used SuperOneClick v1.5.5 to root the device. Currently it's running the stock ROM.

I want to install custom ROMS but I'm very hesitant to due to the fact there is no nandroid backup option in the recovery.

Also, on the Huawei Ascend Wiki page, it mentions about some "Patched Recovery Mode" that includes Nandroid. How and where is this recovery patch?

Erm, I hate to be cynical, but this is a forum for the Huawei Pulse :/

Guest AntonioPT

Forget feelmychi. Huawei Ascend = Huawei U8230 which belongs here on the Pulse forum.

1) To do a nandroid backup you must install a recovery, either Clockworkmod or Amon RA.

2) Yes, FLB works great on the U8230 (aka Ascend). To install it, you can follow the steps provided in the "Ultimate Pulse Owner's Guide".

The "patched recovery mode" you'll be installing when following the steps from the "Ultimate Pulse Owner's Guide" is Amon RA, and it provides you the choice of making a nandroid backup (and of course restoring it).

Hope I helped :rolleyes:

PS: The "recommended" step (swap) on the end of the guide to install FLB is actually very optional on a Huawei U8230 (Ascend), because it has more RAM than the Pulse (U8220).

Guest feelmychi
Forget feelmychi. Huawei Ascend = Huawei U8230 which belongs here on the Pulse forum.

eek! Is it? Sorry :S I thought it was the new small 2.1 device that they've have released :S

Guest djlegion

1) To do a nandroid backup you must install a recovery, either Clockworkmod or Amon RA.

2) Yes, FLB works great on the U8230 (aka Ascend). To install it, you can follow the steps provided in the "Ultimate Pulse Owner's Guide".

The "patched recovery mode" you'll be installing when following the steps from the "Ultimate Pulse Owner's Guide" is Amon RA, and it provides you the choice of making a nandroid backup (and of course restoring it).

Hope I helped :rolleyes:

PS: The "recommended" step (swap) on the end of the guide to install FLB is actually very optional on a Huawei U8230 (Ascend), because it has more RAM than the Pulse (U8220).

I tried to install Amon RA but it requires me to boot into the bootloader. I can't get it to go into the bootloader after I rooted it. I tried using the hard keys, and used Quick Boot, both just boot up into the OS. That is the only thing stopping me from installing the recovery. And I wont install any ROM if I can't do a nandroid backup you know?

Please help!!!

Guest DanWilson
You and your off-topic mode... :huh: Not like it's not true, Ideos sucks! :rolleyes:

Wait till I get a new phone. TWO NEW PLACES TO FORUM-JACK!

Nah. I'm trying to calm down. Not that it's working, but still.

I tried to install Amon RA but it requires me to boot into the bootloader. I can't get it to go into the bootloader after I rooted it. I tried using the hard keys, and used Quick Boot, both just boot up into the OS. That is the only thing stopping me from installing the recovery. And I wont install any ROM if I can't do a nandroid backup you know?

Please help!!!

Are you rooted? You could install ROMManager from the market and flash ClockWorkMod recovery. If you're not rooted - root.

Otherwise, try some more, hold the volume down and red buttons waaaay before you press power. Then throw it at a wall.

Guest JimJam707

Are you rooted? You could install ROMManager from the market and flash ClockWorkMod recovery. If you're not rooted - root.

Otherwise, try some more, hold the volume down and red buttons waaaay before you press power. Then throw it at a wall.

Poor second forum :rolleyes:

Also, go ahead and through your phone at the wall OP/TC. Walls always lose :huh:

Guest djlegion

I am rooted and I did try that. I installed the recovery and rebooted into recovery and there was still no option to do a nandroid.

Guest DanWilson
I am rooted and I did try that. I installed the recovery and rebooted into recovery and there was still no option to do a nandroid.

You tried the wall :rolleyes:

Nah, I can't remember what AMON-RA recovery looks like, but it should say AMON-RA PULSE at the bottom?

Otherwise, it didn't flash right. However, it is weird that it won't boot into the bootloader. I'm really stuck now...

@Jamie - MSN? :huh: But I think it's going to be Desire Z.

Guest JimJam707

Nah, I can't remember what AMON-RA recovery looks like, but it should say AMON-RA PULSE at the bottom?

Otherwise, it didn't flash right. However, it is weird that it won't boot into the bootloader. I'm really stuck now...

I'm trying to get MSN to stop being stupid. It won't bloody open :/

To the Off Topic Thread instead?

Or should I continue trying?

Guest DanWilson
I'm trying to get MSN to stop being stupid. It won't bloody open :/

To the Off Topic Thread instead?

Or should I continue trying?

Both

I shall continue to think of ways to open a bootloader...

You may join us.

Also, try (from a PC) "adb reboot bootloader"

Guest djlegion

If I flash that ROM mentioned earlier, do you think I'll run into problems since I'm using cricKet? If I do run into problems, do you know where I can find the stock ROM so I can flash it back to stock?

Guest DanWilson
If I flash that ROM mentioned earlier, do you think I'll run into problems since I'm using cricKet? If I do run into problems, do you know where I can find the stock ROM so I can flash it back to stock?

What is cricKet? Is it a provider?

I don't think there will be any stock ROMs till they update your particular model.

So if anything goes wrong, I'm really not the one to ask.

I don't even have Nandroids. I should but I'm too lazy. :rolleyes:

Don't try this at home kids! :huh:

Guest djlegion
What is cricKet? Is it a provider?

I don't think there will be any stock ROMs till they update your particular model.

So if anything goes wrong, I'm really not the one to ask.

I don't even have Nandroids. I should but I'm too lazy. :rolleyes:

Don't try this at home kids! :huh:

Never heard of cricKet? You must not be from the US. Yes its a provider.

Guest djlegion
I'm from Scotland.

Are they any good?

:rolleyes:

They are the type for Unlimited everything for $55 a month. They just released their first Android phone (what I have) this month. They are a credible phone service, but nothing like Verizon or AT&T etc. You pay for the month you are going to use, so there is no credit check or anything.

http://www.mycricket.com/

Guest McSpoon
If I do run into problems, do you know where I can find the stock ROM so I can flash it back to stock?

They sometimes put stock firmware on their website.

The only firmware I could find for cricKet is the M860 V100R001C153B251SP03 firmware. If that matches the Build Number in Settings->About Phone then you can flash that should anything go wrong.

There have been rumours that Huawei plans to update the Ascend with Froyo and Gingerbread in the future. Whether that is true or not, I guess we'll see. It looks like they've removed the front-facing camera, which is a shame as that would be perfect for Gingerbread (thats assuming the rumours of Gingerbread supporting video calling are true).

I find it rather amusing that Huawei continues to infiltrate the whole world. Despite many Western intelligence agencies claiming it's a front company for the Chinese intelligence services to spy on us (same goes for ZTE too). They know exactly how to pwn us - by producing awesomely cheap Android phones. :rolleyes: I wonder how long it will be until they pwn Sprint too. LOL.

Edited by McSpoon

Guest DanWilson
There have been rumours that Huawei plans to update the Ascend with Froyo and Gingerbread in the future. Whether that is true or not, I guess we'll see. It looks like they've removed the front-facing camera, which is a shame as that would be perfect for Gingerbread (thats assuming the rumours of Gingerbread supporting video calling are true).

I find it rather amusing that Huawei continues to infiltrate the whole world. Despite many Western intelligence agencies claiming it's a front company for the Chinese intelligence services to spy on us (same goes for ZTE too). They know exactly how to pwn us - by producing awesomely cheap Android phones. :rolleyes: I wonder how long it will be until they pwn Sprint too. LOL.

LULZ! Gingerbread on a Pulse/U8230/Ascend. OLOLOLOLOL

Also LULZ. Chinese spies in our phones.

Must be midgets.

No offence to midgets.

Guest JimJam707
LULZ! Gingerbread on a Pulse/U8230/Ascend. OLOLOLOLOL

Also LULZ. Chinese spies in our phones.

Must be midgets.

No offence to midgets.

Oi! I'm only 30cm tall.

What?

What?

jk i'm 29cm

Guest djlegion

End + Vol Down = Takes me to the Huawei logo and stays there

End + Vol Up = Takes me to some screen where it says Update failed and my hard keys are flashing

End + Menu = Does nothing

adb reboot recover = does nothing besides reboot the phone

I tried ROM Manager = Reboots the phone, doesn't take me to bootloader

How do I get into bootloader mode so I can install this AMon recovery?

I'm rooted with the Huawei Ascend (cricKet)