Acer Liquid - a good phone??

Guest delboymel

Guest delboymel

Hi there

I've recently sold my iPhone 3GS and bought a San Francisco which i was very impressed with but someone has one of the Acer Liquids for sale. It's on 2.2 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's a good phone - better/same/worse than San Fran??

Also, does it have built in GPS and built in WiFi?

And finally, has anyone managed to pair it up and work successfully with a Parrot MKi9200??

Any other good bad points would be great!

Cheers!!

:rolleyes:

Guest Dario93
Hi there

I've recently sold my iPhone 3GS and bought a San Francisco which i was very impressed with but someone has one of the Acer Liquids for sale. It's on 2.2 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's a good phone - better/same/worse than San Fran??

And finally, has anyone managed to pair it up and work successfully with a Parrot MKi9200??

Cheers!!

I never tried the San francisco (nor the Parrot Mki9200) so i can't make a comparison,but i can reply to you questions :huh:

It has built-in wifi and GPS,don't worry! It has a good battery life (up to 2 days of use,using right settings) and good signal strength. Moreover,the Liquid community is very active,with a lot of devs and modders,so you can choose beetween a wide variety of custom ROMs :huh:

Bye!

Dario

Guest Borkata

I haven't tried San Francisco too, but it is middle class device and our Acer Liquid is among high class devices with 800x480 resolution and Snapdragon chip, so I would recommend you buying Liquid E (512 MB ram).

Guest Delnar_Ersike

Here's a link to the spec-by-spec comparison of the two phones: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPho...p;idPhone2=2968

Note that the ZTE Blade has a 600 Mhz processor, and the main hardware difference for the Liquid E is that it has 512 MB of RAM instead of 256 MB.

As for modability, the Acer Liquid far outruns the ZTE Blade, due to the simple fact that the hardware is very similar to the Google Nexus One's (HTC Passion). This means that while the ZTE Blade might have a couple custom ROMs for it, the Acer Liquid has a LOT. Also, Acer Liquids are overclockable to 1 Ghz, provided you install a community made boot.img (included in a lot of ROMs) and provided you can deal with a couple missing features and/or drawbacks (like Bluetooth and lower battery life).

Guest delboymel

Thanks for the responses!

The acer liquid i'm interested in is Acer Liquid running Android 2.2 Froyo. It has Snapdragon 8250 1ghz that has been underclocked to 768mhz for longer battery life.

What do you reckon is a reasonable price for this??

BTW I'm looking at buying, i don't have one for sale!

Hi there

Cheers!!

I'm one of Acer liquid e user, I use ferrari one.my phone runs 2.1 ..overall this phone is quiet good..the camera is very sharp, but when it come to night..the camera is suck (since no flashlight) ..I also manage to run HD games in my devices..the battery life also quite good..it can last almost for 3 days...if u put it in airplane mode..the battery can stand up for 10 days..

Guest byclops

Here is what I can tell from my personal experience:

Pros:

- unbeatable from price/features ratio standpoint

- quite active community. I think Acer have a good policy of releasing source code, which helps a lot.

- custom ROM friendly. You can always go back to the original ROM. Again good policy by Acer.

- excellent display, both in terms of resolution and image quality

- looks good in my opinion, and it definitely stands out among the crowd of generic smartphones

- good performance, especially when overclocked

- Acer UI has some useful features and is definitely worth trying out

Cons:

- ergonomics (button placement, general shape) is a little awkward, but I got used to it quickly

- build quality (hardware buttons, general ruggedness) is probably below average, but still quite good considering the price.

- 256 MB RAM is not enough (only applies to liquid A1, liquid E has 512 MB)

- no flash, and the camera is ok, but not great

- sometimes I miss a trackball, but I don't see how it would fit the design

- below average battery life, especially with wifi on. The lastest leak has greatly improved battery life for me, and now it is ok but not exceptional. Now I can go through a whole day with light usage and wifi on, which I could rarely achieve on older firmware versions.

- wifi reception seems a bit weak. Definitely weaker than the iPhone or the average laptop. Again this seems somewhat improved in the latest Froyo leaks.

- Touchscreen lacks true multitouch. Pinch and zoom works, but in other areas such as mutitouch typing or gaming this is definitly an issue.

- very limited choice of accessories

- Acer are known to offer poor customer support. So far, I am lucky to say I haven't had a reason to verify this.

I am quite happy with this phone. For me the benefits far outweigh the negatives. The liquid compares quite well against phones which sell at 50% more.

Edited by byclops

Guest jayziac

It's a good phone for the price. I agree with all the comments above, but just want to bring up one more con that is the camera. It has a color balance issue that has the center slightly more reddish than the rest of the picture frame. It's noticeable if you're have an eye for photography, otherwise the avg person probably won't mind.

Guest Koki1337
Here is what I can tell from my personal experience:

Pros:

- unbeatable from price/features ratio standpoint

- quite active community. I think Acer have a good policy of releasing source code, which helps a lot.

- custom ROM friendly. You can always go back to the original ROM. Again good policy by Acer.

- excellent display, both in terms of resolution and image quality

- looks good in my opinion, and it definitely stands out among the crowd of generic smartphones

- good performance, especially when overclocked

- Acer UI has some useful features and is definitely worth trying out

Cons:

- ergonomics (button placement, general shape) is a little awkward, but I got used to it quickly

- build quality (hardware buttons, general ruggedness) is probably below average, but still quite good considering the price.

- 256 MB RAM is not enough (only applies to liquid A1, liquid E has 512 MB)

- no flash, and the camera is ok, but not great

- sometimes I miss a trackball, but I don't see how it would fit the design

- below average battery life, especially with wifi on. The lastest leak has greatly improved battery life for me, and now it is ok but not exceptional. Now I can go through a whole day with light usage and wifi on, which I could rarely achieve on older firmware versions.

- wifi reception seems a bit weak. Definitely weaker than the iPhone or the average laptop. Again this seems somewhat improved in the latest Froyo leaks.

- Touchscreen lacks true multitouch. Pinch and zoom works, but in other areas such as mutitouch typing or gaming this is definitly an issue.

- very limited choice of accessories

- Acer are known to offer poor customer support. So far, I am lucky to say I haven't had a reason to verify this.

I am quite happy with this phone. For me the benefits far outweigh the negatives. The liquid compares quite well against phones which sell at 50% more.

This summary pretty much tells everything.

The buttons' positions are rather weird as it's at the curve at the bottom part... Well I'm a left hander so it's my thumb to the lock, forefinger to the volume rocker and the pink to the camera. Works out well.

The touchscreen does have the problem of the axis inversion, same as the Nexus One.

And to add one more thing, the accessories available for the device is seriously countable with your own hands

Guest dadashi

stick with your new San Francisco, it's half the price of the acer and just as good, newer and more up to date.....unless you could get the acer for a 100 quid...

The only thing of interest to me is it's TV-out for films and pics on the TV...

Guest delboymel

well i read all the advice (and many thanks to all!) and get the [white] acer tomorrow. I only paid £140 for it with 4gb card and sold my san fran for £115 so all in all am pleased! Will certainly be checking back on this site if i have any queries!! But bear in mind i'm a complete noob re android!!!

Cheers!