ROM cm6 AIO v7 (based on beta 0.40)

Guest Richard_Arkless

Guest totiadrenalin
Thanks for the info and ideas Toti.

Sorry I'm not completely understanding though. You mentioned the "CM6.2-0.40 from tom".

Did you mean CM6.1 instead of 6.2? Or is there another rom from Tom I don't know about? I'm confused.

Does this bug affect all CM6.1 roms or just this rom here?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry my mistake. Yes you are right. cm6.1

Mistyping.

:(

And this bug affect only this rom. How I managed to figure out the tests I've done so far.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest totiadrenalin
The only way you can change it would be to go to /system/usr/keylayout and then edit querty.kl and change key 107 from endcall to home, this way when you press it then it will go home and when you hold then it will open recent apps, AFAIK you cant dedicate the button to only recent apps. Anyway what about when you want to end calls?

Its a feature of cyanogenmod, I didnt bother changing it

The reconnect issue only occurs after a long period of time so you wont see it if you put it to sleep then wake it back up straight afterwards

In that case the best solution will be to change the dpad_center button to Home button.

Also the original home button to search button.

Why not?

The only way you can change it would be to go to /system/usr/keylayout and then edit querty.kl and change key 107 from endcall to home, this way when you press it then it will go home and when you hold then it will open recent apps, AFAIK you cant dedicate the button to only recent apps.

Its a feature of cyanogenmod, I didnt bother changing it

thanks again! i think i will have a go at the keymaps.

if it's cyanogen setting, perhaps best keeping the mod aligned to cyanogen standards, and provide tweaks for those who want. btw, what do the rest of the cyanogen folks do with the red button? use it to turn the phone off?? there is a power button for that.

more importantly, how i can turn the phone waking up with all of the front buttons? i only want the phone waking up with the power button and nothing else.

Anyway what about when you want to end calls?

good point. i hadn't thought of that... :-)

In that case the best solution will be to change the dpad_center button to Home button.

Also the original home button to search button.

Why not?

i like the suggestion, there's too many buttons taking us home.

but, which one is the dpad_center button? trackball?

Edited by ve100

Guest spanner44

I don’t have a problem or the buttons, and haven't tested the bluetooth yet, either transfers phone to phone or with a separate hands free kit., but would certainly like a fix if it is broken. Is there any chance of a zip that can be applied as I do it want to do a new install as everything is set up okay.

if it's cyanogen setting, perhaps best keeping the mod aligned to cyanogen standards, and provide tweaks for those who want. btw, what do the rest of the cyanogen folks do with the red button? use it to turn the phone off?? there is a power button for that.

more importantly, how i can turn the phone waking up with all of the front buttons? i only want the phone waking up with the power button and nothing else.

For the people trying to mess around with button remapping, there is a thread here that covers that topic pretty extensively. I suspect it will answer a lot of your questions.

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...rdware-buttons/

Also, someone over at XDA created an app for doing it, but I don't have that link right off the top of my head.

i can see the point twrock is making. as also what you say about backing up gapps. if we are reinstalling gapps, i agree there is no reason to backup. personally, i prefer light-weight apps, and tiny gapps is working very well. i don't understand what the huge gapps offers over and above tiny gapps. i did a bit of research, and failed to understand.

Yep. And in these past few days I have reached a conclusion that this "feature" in CM is better removed. But I do understand why it is there.

Related, this is why way back in the day when I told people who were having trouble installing CM61Pulse0.30 that they should reflash the UK 2.1 updata, it actually worked for some of them. Their problem was that /system was overly full, but instead of my understanding the simplest fix, I suggested the "big fix". (I told them to drop an atomic bomb when a smart bomb would have worked better.) ;-)

Guest Richard_Arkless
I don’t have a problem or the buttons, and haven't tested the bluetooth yet, either transfers phone to phone or with a separate hands free kit., but would certainly like a fix if it is broken. Is there any chance of a zip that can be applied as I do it want to do a new install as everything is set up okay.

I havent tested bluetooth either, toti has said that the thing he posted on the previous page will fix it but I dont really understand he says to copy the bluetooth.apk from the original cm6.1 0.40 but thats the thing, this rom is based on that version so it already has this fix

You do know that once your on cm6 that you dont need to wipe everytime there is a new version, dont you :(

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest spanner44
I havent tested bluetooth either, toti has said that the thing he posted on the previous page will fix it but I dont really understand he says to copy the bluetooth.apk from the original cm6.1 0.40 but thats the thing, this rom is based on that version so it already has this fix

You do know that once your on cm6 that you dont need to wipe everytime there is a new version, dont you :(

Didn't know you didn't have to wipe each time, I just did as I thought you have to do a full wipe.

Would be good if someone could test the Bluetooth with some hands free kit, as I will be getting one in a week or so, but want to know it works.

For the people trying to mess around with button remapping, there is a thread here that covers that topic pretty extensively. I suspect it will answer a lot of your questions.

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...rdware-buttons/

Also, someone over at XDA created an app for doing it, but I don't have that link right off the top of my head.

thanks twrock, i can't have my phone waking up in my pocket, everytime i breathe.

i just need to understand what codes relate to what, and i can rewrite that keychar file myself, to suit what i need or don't. if people want, i can share my learning.

btw, i had another go and testing the mod. i reset/wiped and formatted partitions, then install zip latest richard's testing. it seems to be v52 now, one up from day before. i install zip the full gapps, again from richard's dropbox, rather than the tiny version i used previously.

the only thing that looks different is the market. on the whole, the phone is definitely more sluggish, and feels heavier, than v51 with tiny-gapps. i don't know what is the difference. also, there is much less free diskspace now. i am thinking of going back, but i'm in two minds - whether to go back to something faster, leaner, smoother or to stick with the latest jazziest flashing ding dong.

also, soon as i loaded up market, on the front page, the first app listed was youtube!!! i also did a quick search and found gmail, et al iin the market. i wonder, if you need to provide users with gapps, if all these are available on the market. the market would either way update these apps to the latest versions, including the market itself.

so i find copies of all these apps in /system/app and in /data/app. to reclaim some space, i deleted all the system apps, which were also in data. and i put some of my apps in system, which were not from the market.

so, i think all these gapps, market, etc should be in data. either way, they get auto upgraded and data gets populated with the new versions. this should leave us just to worry about rom - stability, speed, efficiency, etc. even cyanogen has released a statement that he won't be releasing any google apps, as they are closed source. and might release some alternate apps, if there is a demand.

Guest totiadrenalin

Yeah.

The trackball pressed down.

thanks twrock, i can't have my phone waking up in my pocket, everytime i breathe.

i just need to understand what codes relate to what, and i can rewrite that keychar file myself, to suit what i need or don't. if people want, i can share my learning.

I don't know about too many of the codes, but here are my changes in my rom to /system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl:

key 62 ENDCALL

key 61 CALL

key 232 DPAD_CENTER

key 115 VOLUME_UP WAKE_DROPPED

key 114 VOLUME_DOWN WAKE_DROPPED

key 249 FOCUS

The first three will disable the raised buttons from turning on the device (the WAKE_DROPPED has been removed).

The next two will enable the volume buttons to work when the screen is off to raise and lower volume and to move to next track.

The last will fix the camera button.

(These all have been shared by others. I'm just repeating them here.)

Edited by twrock

thanks twrock, my keylayout/qwerty.kl contains those keys exactly as you have specified. so i don't know if this is stock cyanogen or this mod's settings.

currently, any of the 5 front keys wake up the phone. additionally, even in the lock out mode, long press on the red button comes up with poweroff menu. neither of those should even wake up the phone.

this phone has a power button, for the explicit purpose of power on/off for the phone/screen. i want to restrict this specifically to that button.

I checked "Use only 2G networks" because I dont use 3G at the moment and after reboot it is automatically unchecked. Is that normal? I think it should be checked all the time even if I reboot. Is there any way it could always stay on 2G?

Edited by Doto

Guest Richard_Arkless
Anyonne know how (and if) I can take the standard ringtones from this rom to use them in a 2.1 rom?

go to /system/media/audio then ringtones and get the ones you want and either put it in the rom itself or put it on the sd card

thanks twrock, my keylayout/qwerty.kl contains those keys exactly as you have specified. so i don't know if this is stock cyanogen or this mod's settings.

currently, any of the 5 front keys wake up the phone. additionally, even in the lock out mode, long press on the red button comes up with poweroff menu. neither of those should even wake up the phone.

this phone has a power button, for the explicit purpose of power on/off for the phone/screen. i want to restrict this specifically to that button.

:( ;) ;) !!! That doesn't make any sense. Unless you've changed something else somewhere else that overrides, those three raised buttons should not wake the phone. The only other things I can think of is that your timeout settings are so high that they never time out, or, in the case of the trackball, you've set it to wake the device in CM settings (Input settings/Trackball wake). Are you sure you are waiting past the timeout limit before testing? I believe that the original CM had both the "Screen timeout delay" and the "Screen turned off delay" set at five seconds. So any testing during that five seconds would wake the phone even with the correct qwerty.kl settings.

I don't know. It's weird. That's simply not the way it has worked or does work on my phone.

Incidentally, I find CM settings/Input settings/Menu unlock to be a very nice feature to activate. YMMV.

I checked "Use only 2G networks" because I dont use 3G at the moment and after reboot it is automatically unchecked. Is that normal? I think it should be checked all the time even if I reboot. Is there any way it could always stay on 2G?

Yes, there is. I spent months trying to find this one. Tom G helped me find it.

In build.prop, find this line:

ro.telephony.default_network=0

and change it to

ro.telephony.default_network=1

(Edit: sorry, there was a typo earlier.)

That will make the phone boot into "GSM only" mode, which is 2G. "0" is "WCDMA preferred", which is 3G normally but fall back to 2G when 3G can't connect. But this jumping back and forth between modes uses more battery. And in my case, that auto switching was causing my phone to unknowingly not be connected for calls (full bars showing, but no calls in or out). Since I do not have "always on" data, there is no reason for me to waste all that battery for voice. And I am often in areas where there is no, or very low, 3G coverage.

Incidentally, I haven't figured out the patterns, but weird things happen for me when using the Power Control widget or the buttons up in the notification bar to switch between 2G, 3G, and other variations of those. Using the "Secret Settings" app I mentioned elsewhere, you can easily get to where you can see what the current setting really is (and change it there as well).

I "think" the other codes are as follows, based on the order in "phone info" (but I can not confirm this):

0 WCDMA preferred

1 GSM only

2 WCDMA only

3 GSM auto (PRL)

4 CDMA auto (PRL)

5 CDMA only

6 EvDo only

7 GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

8 Unknown

Edited by twrock

btw, i had another go and testing the mod. i reset/wiped and formatted partitions, then install zip latest richard's testing. it seems to be v52 now, one up from day before. i install zip the full gapps, again from richard's dropbox, rather than the tiny version i used previously.

the only thing that looks different is the market. on the whole, the phone is definitely more sluggish, and feels heavier, than v51 with tiny-gapps. i don't know what is the difference. also, there is much less free diskspace now. i am thinking of going back, but i'm in two minds - whether to go back to something faster, leaner, smoother or to stick with the latest jazziest flashing ding dong.

also, soon as i loaded up market, on the front page, the first app listed was youtube!!! i also did a quick search and found gmail, et al iin the market. i wonder, if you need to provide users with gapps, if all these are available on the market. the market would either way update these apps to the latest versions, including the market itself.

so i find copies of all these apps in /system/app and in /data/app. to reclaim some space, i deleted all the system apps, which were also in data. and i put some of my apps in system, which were not from the market.

so, i think all these gapps, market, etc should be in data. either way, they get auto upgraded and data gets populated with the new versions. this should leave us just to worry about rom - stability, speed, efficiency, etc. even cyanogen has released a statement that he won't be releasing any google apps, as they are closed source. and might release some alternate apps, if there is a demand.

Sound like you have the basic understanding of what is going on and can "fix" your rom yourself. So that's good.

Yes, with CM, these issues date back to the "cease and desist" letter CM got from Google making it clear he could no longer distribute Google apps.

But as you pointed out, most are readily available on the Market. So, yeah, just get them from the Market. However, there is at least one major problem with this thinking. Vending.apk is one of those proprietary apps. How do you build a rom without Gapps and then tell people to just download them from the Market, when they can't run the non-existent Market app?

So the CM rom uses the absolutely brilliant idea of keeping the Google apps that were already on your phone. Problem solved! But then other rom modders come along and try to fit the full rom into other phones that don't have enough space for everything in /system, and we hit the bottleneck and can't get things to function properly. And there is the problem of older apps not running on newer roms. So then the rom builder needs to find a way to work through all these issues to create a rom that will work for some newbie to install.

Telling a newbie how to edit their own rom and solve all these problems themselves is very difficult. (Believe me, I know what it was like being a newb and not having a clue what some experienced hacker meant when he was trying very hard to help me do even the most basic steps; thanks for your patience guys.) :(

Personally, I am amazed at the speed of the basic CM6.1-Pulse0.40 rom with a basic set of Gapps ("tiny" is good, but really, as long as it fits, any of them work fine). Things only start to slow down for me when I've install a billion apps and am running a huge number of widgets and little "extras". If I keep it lean and mean, it's very quick.

Anyway, enough rambling. Enjoy.

Guest Richard_Arkless

The only thing that has changed is that adw has been updated to latest version so it shouldnt be any slower or heavier and if it is its down to adw and the changes they made, I was holding off releasing beta 2 just for that but I couldnt think of anything because to tell you the truth we probably have reached the end of the things that we can do with this rom, our next step is 2.3 which is unstable and slow, which isnt criticizing tom's work, its not his fault, from the looks of things everyone else is having the same problem, we are slower because both the ram issue and I think it may also be down to the graphics drivers and the fact they may be non existant

If I had to think up at the top of my head things to add they would be

the sleep effect that is seen in the gingerbread, this is in the process of being ported by a xda team so ill probably get the files needed, ask permission whether its ok to add them and then put it in

native wifi tethering that is seen in other 2.2 phones- This is a problem because we need a .32 or higher kernel which is in the process of being ported by antonio and some other people, I cant help because I dont know a clue about kernels

ext3 and 4 support (faster a2sd)- I have asked antonio to add it and hes willing to do it so ill leave it at that for now, I know he is a probably working on the .32 kernel so ill put it on hold if hes too busy with that

Yes, there is. I spent months trying to find this one. Tom G helped me find it.

In build.prop, find this line:

ro.telephony.default_network=0

and change it to

ro.telephony.default_network=1

(Edit: sorry, there was a typo earlier.)

That will make the phone boot into "GSM only" mode, which is 2G. "0" is "WCDMA preferred", which is 3G normally but fall back to 2G when 3G can't connect. But this jumping back and forth between modes uses more battery. And in my case, that auto switching was causing my phone to unknowingly not be connected for calls (full bars showing, but no calls in or out). Since I do not have "always on" data, there is no reason for me to waste all that battery for voice. And I am often in areas where there is no, or very low, 3G coverage.

Incidentally, I haven't figured out the patterns, but weird things happen for me when using the Power Control widget or the buttons up in the notification bar to switch between 2G, 3G, and other variations of those. Using the "Secret Settings" app I mentioned elsewhere, you can easily get to where you can see what the current setting really is (and change it there as well).

I "think" the other codes are as follows, based on the order in "phone info" (but I can not confirm this):

0 WCDMA preferred

1 GSM only

2 WCDMA only

3 GSM auto (PRL)

4 CDMA auto (PRL)

5 CDMA only

6 EvDo only

7 GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

8 Unknown

Thank you very much. I also noticed that control widget and buttons up need some time to synchronize, but works for me. I don't use 3G for the moment so I thought it is good to save some battery :( Also when I am on 3G when somebody calls me the phone rings for about 3,4 seconds and after that volume gets down to the minimum level. I had this issue on almost every rom I installed. The easiest fix is to switch to 2G and everything works just fine.

Guest Richard_Arkless

v5b3 has been released and is uploading as we speak, this has the leaked honeycomb music.apk included that is found over on the xda developers, because honeycomb is still in development it is safe to assume that the music.apk is also in development and can be buggy, that noted I have used it and its pretty smooth, its only slow when you open it

Here is a hands on video which I found:

Guest zzmusam

Just want to thank Richard and Tom for the good work. Just upgraded to v0.40 from an early FLB ROM and got to say this has probably extended the life of this phone.

Just a couple of questions in relation to this ROM if anyone can help:

1) Is it just me or has dialler application lost T9 functionality to tie up with address book names and also the ability to match numbers from the call log?

2) I also can't seem to get the time to appear in the status bar at the top of the screen, I found a setting within the Cyanogen options to allow this but made no difference

Any help would be grealy appreciated.

MM

Guest Richard_Arkless
Just want to thank Richard and Tom for the good work. Just upgraded to v0.40 from an early FLB ROM and got to say this has probably extended the life of this phone.

Just a couple of questions in relation to this ROM if anyone can help:

1) Is it just me or has dialler application lost T9 functionality to tie up with address book names and also the ability to match numbers from the call log?

2) I also can't seem to get the time to appear in the status bar at the top of the screen, I found a setting within the Cyanogen options to allow this but made no difference

Any help would be grealy appreciated.

MM

1. This is a feature of the tre dialer and because it is a 2.1 app it cant be ported to 2.2 cm6, im continuing to look for alternatives but most are 3rd party and are seperate apps (so not embedded into the contacts app)

2. It may be there its just black text, go to settings, cyanogenmod settings, user interface, tweaks extras and then select a theme and set it to gingerbread

Guest igor_anta
1. This is a feature of the tre dialer and because it is a 2.1 app it cant be ported to 2.2 cm6, im continuing to look for alternatives but most are 3rd party and are seperate apps (so not embedded into the contacts app)

2. It may be there its just black text, go to settings, cyanogenmod settings, user interface, tweaks extras and then select a theme and set it to gingerbread

I just found my T9 dialer and contacts solution! Check it out: http://www.appbrain.com/app/youlu-address-book/com.youlu

It's fast, looks nice (maybe a bit iPhoney, but note that that damn phone has some eye candy our beloved Android could use) and you might consider including it in the ROM. Cheers!