Nexus One or Desire Z

Guest feelmychi

Guest feelmychi

Hiya all,

I'm on the brink of upgrading from my T-mobile Pulse, and want to know whether people would recommend the N1 over the Desire Z. Bare in mind, that I can get a close to new N1 for around £325 whereas a Desire Z will set me back £600 over a 24month contract...

Thank you!

Alex

Guest k9nadav
Hiya all,

I'm on the brink of upgrading from my T-mobile Pulse, and want to know whether people would recommend the N1 over the Desire Z. Bare in mind, that I can get a close to new N1 for around £325 whereas a Desire Z will set me back £600 over a 24month contract...

Thank you!

Alex

Hi There, the Desire Z has a weaker CPU and it cost more and probably wont be able to run Gingerbread.

Guest wiggy6230

Hi,

I would go for the Nexus One, as already stated the Z has a slower processor and Ive seen one in the shops and Im not convinced that the hinge on the keyboard is very sturdy.

The Nexus One on the other hand is the Grandad of the Desire family and its specs still hold strong. Like you I picked my Nexus One up for a good price and in great condition and by doing this Im not tied into a new contract.

I got the HTC Desire when it was released and was very impressed with it but sadly gave it up for an iPhone 4, a few months back. Oh the fool I was, I have since seen the light and returned to Android with the Nexus One, in my honest opinion the superior phone.

I hope this helps you decide on which to go for.

I would also look around a bit more, I got my Nexus One for £270.

Happy shopping.

Edited by wiggy6230

Hi There, the Desire Z has a weaker CPU and it cost more and probably wont be able to run Gingerbread.

Hi,

I would go for the Nexus One, as already stated the Z has a slower processor and Ive seen one in the shops and Im not convinced that the hinge on the keyboard is very sturdy.

The Nexus One on the other hand is the Grandad of the Desire family and its specs still hold strong. Like you I picked my Nexus One up for a good price and in great condition and by doing this Im not tied into a new contract.

I got the HTC Desire when it was released and was very impressed with it but sadly gave it up for an iPhone 4, a few months back. Oh the fool I was, I have since seen the light and returned to Android with the Nexus One, in my honest opinion the superior phone.

I hope this helps you decide on which to go for.

I would also look around a bit more, I got my Nexus One for £270.

Happy shopping.

Guys, please check your facts before you post.

Desire Z's 2nd gen CPU is only clocked at a lower speed than Nexus one and the old Desire. It's still a lot faster than people think and it has the newer GPU (Adreno 205, same as Desire HD).

The Z posts a bit higher score in quadrant than the old desire with its 1Ghz CPU with a score of about 1500.

I ran the test last night.

quadrant_pro_total_score.png

And as for the Gingerbread rumor, it's just that, a rumor. Think about it, why on earth and how on earth would it be limited by Clock Speed alone? Retarded rumor.

I'd go for the Z, as i have. Haven't got mine yet, but had a friends device for a few days to play around with. Solid phone, absolutely. And a direct upgrade from Nexus one.

Guest Deathwish238
Hiya all,

Thank you!

Alex

The Nexus One is a good choice because of its great community and dev support. Getting the latest version of Android first is also quite a plus.

The Desire Z is clocked lower, but it has a better GPU and will perform much better for games than the Nexus One. If gaming and graphics matter to you, get the Desire Z. If they don't(I don't even game weekly on my phone) then get a Nexus One.

Either way you won't go wrong.

Edited by Deathwish238

Guest squirreleater

Do you want a keyboard?

Nexus will have better support, so if you like playing/hacking, get that.

The Desire Z is a great device that is as good as the nexus, performance wise there's nothing in it.

Guest masterpfa
Do you want a keyboard?

Nexus will have better support, so if you like playing/hacking, get that.

The Desire Z is a great device that is as good as the nexus, performance wise there's nothing in it.

The Desire Z is a great phone, but currently running Sense which is personal choice for each, love it or hate it.

The CPU/GPU is a later version than the Nexus 1 and has a keyboard as stated above.

But at the end of the day it's down to personal choice.

I love the Nexus, bought mine as an unopened new phone from ebay for £330 no contract and a phone that will always get the latest version of Android until Google moves the goal post to such a degree that the N1 would only be supported by the Android Devs community,this I can't see happening for a year or two, if not longer, by which time I would be looking to update my phone anyway.

In my opinion the Nexus 1, but I am biased to a degree. :P

Guest Stea1thmode

Short and sweet answer; If you're into gaming and desperately need a physical keyboard then go for the DZ.

I have both the n1 and DZ and have been using the Z for the last 2 weeks, it is beautifully crafted and looks amazing. At default speeds it outperforms most first generation snapdragon phones and is capable of superclocking up to 1.9ghz (1.5 stable)

That's where it ends for me I'm afraid, the last 2 weeks have been abit of a chore, the phone looks and feels sturdy yet fragile at the same time due to the loose hinge and the phones hefty weight. I switched back to my beloved n1 yesterday and felt europhic as soon as I held it in my hand, it's still a joy to use. It's lighter, feels better and the screen is more clearer and sharper compared to the Z. Don't get me wrong the Z is still an exellent phone and has good Dev support, now that permroot has been achieved Paul, Cyanogen, eViL and VillianRom are all churning out roms for the z.

What really displeased me with the z is the sheer weight of the phone and the issue with the hinge(was firm at first but becoming looser), what I dont want is being lumbered with an 18 months contract and having to deal with a flapping keyboard but only time will tell. (DZ is now living in my sock draw)

I think it's worth jumping ship when there's a significant improvement in hardware, untill then there's not much difference between the Z and the N1 :P

Edited by Stea1thmode