Problems with Custom User Dictionary/Contact Ringtones

Guest BK2FUT

I've recently updated to Android 2.1, and installed Apps2SD (which is running great by the way).

The two issues I'm having is that my user dictionary keeps losing all my custom words, resetting back to no entries.

Also, try as I might, assigning a custom ringtone (mp3) to a contact just never works. Always rings using the default ringtone for the phone.

This is doubly frustrating as it takes a while for the screen to display who's calling, so I have to let it ring for a few (long) seconds to finally see who's calling before I answer.

Any thoughts?

:rolleyes:

Guest ASY9650
I've recently updated to Android 2.1, and installed Apps2SD (which is running great by the way).

The two issues I'm having is that my user dictionary keeps losing all my custom words, resetting back to no entries.

Also, try as I might, assigning a custom ringtone (mp3) to a contact just never works. Always rings using the default ringtone for the phone.

This is doubly frustrating as it takes a while for the screen to display who's calling, so I have to let it ring for a few (long) seconds to finally see who's calling before I answer.

Any thoughts?

:rolleyes:

I prefer to use Better Keyboard, I don't use predictive texting as it has a Qwerty so can't comment on the dictionary working with that app.

I use the Android Skin for it and it fits in well not like the black gloss and blue default theme. Maybe try a few free keyboards from the market and play around with those to see if you get any joy.

Not too sure about the custom ringtone thing, maybe, try copying it into a folder called < ringtones > and one called < notifications > on your SD card. This will allow you to set that tone as a tone from the system settings reading it as being on the Android system rather than your media. That's all I can think of.

Last thing, I kind of get a 2 second gap between seeing the caller display, but the tone starts before the screen wakes almost, but as soon as the screen wakes the caller display is there. Is that what you're experiencing?.

• 2 weeks later...
I prefer to use Better Keyboard, I don't use predictive texting as it has a Qwerty so can't comment on the dictionary working with that app.

I use the Android Skin for it and it fits in well not like the black gloss and blue default theme. Maybe try a few free keyboards from the market and play around with those to see if you get any joy.

Not too sure about the custom ringtone thing, maybe, try copying it into a folder called < ringtones > and one called < notifications > on your SD card. This will allow you to set that tone as a tone from the system settings reading it as being on the Android system rather than your media. That's all I can think of.

Last thing, I kind of get a 2 second gap between seeing the caller display, but the tone starts before the screen wakes almost, but as soon as the screen wakes the caller display is there. Is that what you're experiencing?.

Hey, thank you very much for the detailed and thoughtful reply.

The custom ringtone thing is definitely an intermittent issue. It's weird, most of the time it doesn't work, but every so often it will. Maddening. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the phone's ram or something... I think maybe the screen not lighting up has something to do with that too. It can take two seconds, but more often than not it's 6-7, which is surprisingly long when the person on the other end is waiting for you to pick up.

It's another intermittent problem. The frustration is they only seem to work about %15 of the time... I'm certainly going to try your <ringtones> folder suggestion though, thanks for the advice.

The custom dictionary still keeps resetting itself every few days. Very frustrating. Hardly seems worthwhile adding anything to it, since it'll only last a few days before wiping itself again, but some of the contractions it's missing etc. are super annoying to put in manually with the on-screen keyboard.

Thanks again.

B)