Battery Recalibration ProTip

Guest AndyHibberd

Guest AndyHibberd

Hello people,

This may interest you (from Reddit):

Full Article

User ebola1986's experience:

A few days ago I really began to struggle with battery life on my ZTE Blade. I charged overnight, every night, and by the time I got to work it would already be on 85% without any usage, and by lunch time it had dropped to 50%. I was lucky if the phone survived to mid evening.

I posted a thread, which can be seen here, and spinn came to the rescue with a suggestion to recalibrate the battery. This worked, and last night when I got home I still had 58% battery. It's now 11:45am and my phone has been off charge since 7:30am, had quite a bit of usage for calls, texts, and net and is sitting on 90%.

Summary:

1.Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green, indicating the device is fully charged.

2.Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.

3.Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green.

4.Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.

5.Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the notification LED is green.

6.Disconnect the phone, power it on in clockwork recovery, and wipe batt stats. You need to use this sequence only once.

Because we are using the Blade ignore the "green LED" because Blade goes green at 90%. Just charge it for a while, max it out each time.

Enjoy,

Andy

Edited by AndyHibberd

Guest The Soup Thief

Hmm, interesting - will try it over the weekend

Maybe this will resove an issue I've just noticed whereby of the two charge level apps on my phone currently, Battery Time tells me I'm at 100% charge, while Battery Monitor tells me I'm at 84% B)

The standard Android indicator in the top right looks more consistent with Battery Monitor, for what it's worth (I agree, it is a bit ridiculous to have 3 power indicators - was just wondering whether they would agree - they don't!)

They seem to be measuring different things and I wonder if it's knotted up with the divergence in ratings of charge referred to in the comments on that link

Will fiddle about with it and report back

Guest veehexx

i've not tried this as i dont have battery issues, but clockwork has a battery calibration data reset also. might be worth those who are having issues, give both a go and see whats better!

Guest Pakatus

Seems to made some effect.

Just the last 2 steps are a little confusing...but since the battery usage seems to be stable now, i guess it worked.

Props to you...

Guest flopyro

ok, i;m trying it right now, just charged my phone, turned it off, put it back to charging, and after that is completet i will turn it back on, back off, and charge it again... let's see B)

Hmm, interesting - will try it over the weekend

Maybe this will resove an issue I've just noticed whereby of the two charge level apps on my phone currently, Battery Time tells me I'm at 100% charge, while Battery Monitor tells me I'm at 84% B)

The standard Android indicator in the top right looks more consistent with Battery Monitor, for what it's worth (I agree, it is a bit ridiculous to have 3 power indicators - was just wondering whether they would agree - they don't!)

They seem to be measuring different things and I wonder if it's knotted up with the divergence in ratings of charge referred to in the comments on that link

Will fiddle about with it and report back

I suspect this is more to do with the Kernel's battery level reporting code. If you peek inside of it, they seem to round to the nearest 10%. It's possible that Battery Monitor is instead manually calculating it from the voltage level.

Guest The Soup Thief

Harumph

Figured that the discrepant readings from Battery Time and Battery Monitor were probably cos Battery Time seemed to have frozen at 100% - since powering down and restarting it's fallen back in line with the other measure

On a gloomier note, I tried the bump charging thing, which seemed to shoehorn more charge in, but resetting the Battery stats has just lowered changed the rating given to maximum charge, such that while it used to say 100% following a full charge, it now says 94% !

All a bit wonky, but there are more important things....

Guest Aranathos

Yes the last two steps are confusing, they should read:

6. Disconnect the phone, power it on holding the volume key button down to boot into Clockwork Recovery.

7. Now the phone has been fully charged, use Clockwork to wipe the battery stats. Then reboot for the final time.

8. Process complete.

Edited by Aranathos

Guest Freekers

6. Disconnect the phone, power it on holding the volume key button down to boot into Clockwork Recovery.

7. Now the phone has being fully charged, use Clockwork to wipe the battery stats. Then reboot for the final time.

8. Process complete.

Thanks !

Guest AndyHibberd

Changed the sequence, should make more sense now. I see what would cause confusion.

UPDATE - I've set a personal record for battery life; 22hours and still 10% remaining. 68% system, 21% maps, etc.

I did turn off 3G for some of this time but I don't think that made much difference, I have fb feed syncing every 3 hours, news every 6, google account always on.

Edited by AndyHibberd

Guest AndyHibberd

Batt stats could be held deeper than ROM level hence why you need to use clockwork to wipe them.

I could be wrong though.

Just do a clockwork batt wipe on the new ROM either way to be safe.

hm but is it the 'phone' or the 'rom' that is getting calibrated here? if u swipe the phone rom, are battery stats held elsewhere?

The "rom". The battery stats are at /data/system/batterystats.bin.

Guest ballist1x

yes but by the time you've flashed the rom the battery will have drained by the first time the rom has actually installed, and booted for the first time on battry only power?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Romano4990

7. Now the phone has been fully charged, use Clockwork to wipe the battery stats. Then reboot for the final time.

8. Process complete.

at 5th step, I holded the volume key button down but did not work... so I holded this button and the power button in same time.... black screen with a white box in the centre stating 'FTM" inside.... my phone is bloken with this sentence!!

Whats happened?

How do I do to delock my phone? :P

Thx!

Edited by Romano4990

Guest flopyro
at 5th step, I holded the volume key button down but did not work... so I holded this button and the power button in same time.... black screen with a white box in the centre stating 'FTM" inside.... my phone is bloken with this sentence!!

Whats happened?

How do I do to delock my phone? :P

Thx!

take out your battery.

you dont have clockwork recovery installed !

install it first, and after that try this !