Battery Recalibration ProTip

Guest AndyHibberd

Guest slarti99

Getting random switch offs even with full battery charge. Then have to hold down the power button for 30secs to get it to boot. Battery shows it is over 80% charged when I get back in.

Anyone else had this. I am not sure if its battery or phone related. About to recalibrate the battery anyway.

Guest probals

I'm suffering fr low battery life myself. This looks promising. Will try the steps and report back.

EDIT - I upgraded my ROM to FLB-Froyo G2. Will try these steps once I can

Edited by probals

Guest danmanbad

my battery life seems better now but only time will tell time since boot 7hours 36mins gone down 10% no mobile data on 3g or 2g 3 texts 13 mins calls 13 mins wifi 1 hour without sleeping(without sleeping info from spare parts). thanks for the original post realy usefull info i had seen wipe battery stats in clockwork in the advanced menu but did not know what it would do so i throught i would just leave well alone and then i was reading some other posts on on something elce but i cant remember what and there was a link to this post and it was exacatly what i was looking for but i did not know it at the time but from what i had been reading in the posts befor mine i throught hey i will give it a go so i did and now im much happyer :( i will report back plus i kept charging i did steps 3,4,5 a few time checked spare parts and checked how many thousend mV it had im shore it said when fully charged 4222(from spare parts). i dont know if it will go higher than that but it may be diff next time i charge i think it could be useful if people added the spare parts info. Thanks for the original post

phone at 100% 4222mV

phone at 90%07 hours 36mins since last boot time spent with out sleeping 1h 13 mins calls 3 texts 13 mins wifi

phone at 86%18 hours 42mins since last boot 4025mV in battery time spent without sleeping 1h 8m same amount of calls and wifi as went to sleep. had a text of orange

phone at 81%28 hours 47mins since last boot 4000mV in battery time spent without sleeping 1h 16m same amount of calls and wifi

phone at 63%45 hours 28mins since last boot 3877mV in battery time spent without sleeping 1h 45m same amount of wifi 1 more text another 12 mins of calls so far so

phone at 52%65 hours 22mins since last boot 3827mV in battery time spent without sleeping 2h 19m wifi now 20 min use 2 more texts 30 min more calls

phone at 35%79 hours 18mins since last boot 3767mV in battery time spent without sleeping 3h 27m wifi same calls total time 1h 34m total text 17

phone at 27%92 hours 53mins since last boot 3746mV in battery time spent without sleeping 3h 47m wifi on 25m 38s calls 1h39m6s 18 texts

my phone switched off befor i woke up it lasted about 110 hours with 4h 27m awake time screen on 2h 39m wifi on 25m38s wifi running 24m40s about the same amount of calls and texts so all in all my battery seems to be managed better so for me it worked thanks for the info

i think it can be helpfull for every one to do as i am doing to help evey one under stand the battery usage better thanks

Edited by danmanbad

Guest Charley182

So i bought my san francisco last week. I have to say the best phone ever other than the flippin battery. i end up charging it 3 time a day if not more. bloody sick to death of charging it. I've debranded and added 2.2 :( im now going through the motions of this battery thing :( i can't believe it says its 100% charged yet turned off its been charging 20 mins already and its still in the red lol rubbish thing ;) thanks ever so much for this tip :) if theres ever any other useful tips :D shout them my way ;) xxxxxxx

java script:bbc_pop()

Guest stellablade

I tried this procedure but haven't noticed any improvement at all. Still the same poor battery life.

Edited by stellablade

Guest Silpion

Remember to read this before calibrating your battery:

Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing)

Recalibrating prevents the security measures to automatically discharge the battery to approx. 90% after charging. It is a trade for higher initial battery capacity but you pay with a higher battery wear, which reduces the maximum capacity over time and thus is only useful if you are buying new batteries every few months.

Guest Jonny Murray

Did it yesterday at 10am and woke up this morning at 4am and battery was on 23% which is worse than before , i made a point of not using it but juts leaving it on standby, although checking stats maps had eaten a good percentage of the memory even though i hadnt run it.

Guest Ficus
Remember to read this before calibrating your battery:

Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing)

Recalibrating prevents the security measures to automatically discharge the battery to approx. 90% after charging. It is a trade for higher initial battery capacity but you pay with a higher battery wear, which reduces the maximum capacity over time and thus is only useful if you are buying new batteries every few months.

Thanks a lot, I didn't know. Is there any way to revert the battery recalibration to the factory stats? I also suggest to place the quoted text in big in the initial post, since not many people will read this.

Guest danmanbad
Hello people,

This may interest you (from Reddit):

Full Article

User ebola1986's experience:

Summary:

1.Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green, indicating the device is fully charged.

2.Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.

3.Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green.

4.Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.

5.Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the notification LED is green.

6.Disconnect the phone, power it on in clockwork recovery, and wipe batt stats. You need to use this sequence only once.

Because we are using the Blade ignore the "green LED" because Blade goes green at 90%. Just charge it for a while, max it out each time.

Enjoy,

Andy

i used the above methard it worked for me thanks for the info

i found another way of doing it

There is also an app on the market called "battery calibrator" by DAMO that deletes the batterystats with out using clockwork just follow the instructions

Edited by danmanbad

Guest cheekyd

Hello people,

Full Article

Summary:

1.Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green, indicating the device is fully charged.

3.Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green.

5.Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the notification LED is green.

6.Disconnect the phone, power it on in clockwork recovery, and wipe batt stats. You need to use this sequence only once.

Because we are using the Blade ignore the "green LED" because Blade goes green at 90%. Just charge it for a while, max it out each time.

Enjoy,

Andy

[ Hi i'm a newbie.. when i get to the clockwork recovery.. what is the first option i take?]

Guest cheekyd

Hello people,

Full Article

Summary:

Enjoy,

Andy

[ Hi i'm a newbie.. when i get to the clockwork recovery.. what is the first option i take?]

Guest womble_sanfran

Try reading back just 1 page and someone has explained it there.

I am in the process of doing this, fingers crossed it helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest josephxx

For me, it worked perfectly (I mean the guide, not the app above) - and the difference is very quite obvious.

When I bought the phone (and after new ROM), battery lasts just for a full day (lots of full-brightness screen activity/photo viewing, 10 minutes of WiFi, no data/gaming).

After calibration, it will easily last for three days of the same activity - it doesn't show even 1% discharge during night-time when I'm sleeping. Modaco R12, if that interests anyone.

Guest glossywhite

My goodness, what a difference it makes to calibrate! I calibrated and then left my phone on all night last night (unplugged) from 04:30am GMT and it has been used all day today from 13:00gmt until now, and I *still* have 46% remaining.

Great tip - you SO need to "sticky" this!

Edited by glossywhite

Guest JayGB1982
My goodness, what a difference it makes to calibrate! I calibrated and then left my phone on all night last night (unplugged) from 04:30am GMT and it has been used all day today from 13:00gmt until now, and I *still* have 46% remaining.

Great tip - you SO need to "sticky" this!

Concurred :)

Guest glossywhite

UPDATE

My phone was taken off charge, fully charged, at 04:30 am Saturday night (16th April). The phone has had constant "average" use since then, and the battery died at 17:30pm tonight, Sunday 17th April. So, that's 37 hours between charges!

Wonderful!

Something should be installed into all future ROMs, to allow this calibaration process to take place automatically, if that is possible.

Guest DanManchester

Wow! Thanks for this great tip, I did this on Sunday evening 17th at 9pm (UK time) and it's now 0020am 19th April and battery showing 73% still - after 27+ hours! :)

Guest N3M35I5

i did mine today as i was sick of having to charge it all the time.

my phone does get a thrashing from me as of constant use but this seems to of helped a bit (i think)

i wont know for sure until i test it out over a few days

but iv been texting alot and doing a few bits and bobs on it for 5 hours and im on 56% battery. not great in my eyes but im running an overclocked cm7 with full brightness and either data or wifi on constantly

and i have a few applications running in the background like ringo and sms popup etc..

im not sure if my battery life is good for my setup but i suppose it will have to do :)

Guest XpressAndy

Its been almost half n hour. The LED stays RED only!!! It was 100% charged when I turned it off and put for charging. Should I just procedd to next step or keep waiting for LED to turn green! It never turns green when I charge it when phone is ON.

Guest sihumphries
Its been almost half n hour. The LED stays RED only!!! It was 100% charged when I turned it off and put for charging. Should I just procedd to next step or keep waiting for LED to turn green! It never turns green when I charge it when phone is ON.

Same here. Gen1 SS RLS5. I have done this before without a problem.

Also when I switch it back on I've lost 3% battery...

Edited by sihumphries

Same here. Gen1 SS RLS5. I have done this before without a problem.

Also when I switch it back on I've lost 3% battery...

Mmm not sure about this, but you may have to wait a bit after you turned your phone off before plugging the charger in.

Can't remember where, but I saw stg about waiting for a few secs or removing the battery before plugging in.

Anyway I had the same issue as you, so I turned on, then off again, waited for 30secs and removed the battery, and when I plugged in after a few secs the led turned green...

Well this could be for many reasons, but you can still give it a try!

Edit: ok forget it, don't know what's the rule behind this but what I just wrote doesn't help at all! ^^"

Edited by Guest