Battery Recalibration ProTip

Guest AndyHibberd

Guest emerald123

Hello people,

This may interest you (from Reddit):

Full Article

User ebola1986's experience:

Summary:

1.Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green, indicating the device is fully charged.

2.Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.

3.Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green.

4.Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.

5.Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the notification LED is green.

6.Disconnect the phone, power it on in clockwork recovery, and wipe batt stats. You need to use this sequence only once.

Because we are using the Blade ignore the "green LED" because Blade goes green at 90%. Just charge it for a while, max it out each time.

Enjoy,

Andy

hi do i first have to use the phones batterry up completely nd then do the process?

• 1 month later...
Guest Goatface

Evenin' all

I have had my SF for just over a week now - it came with Eclair 2.1 - now rooted, and running Swedish Spring RLS5 thanks to you lovely people.

My battery was charged last night and this morning dropped to 79% charge. I managed to deplete the battery completely by 2pm today! I am now on the final stages of the recalibration procedure, and will report on how it goes.... *waits for indicator LED to turn green* :-D

UPDATE - Charging with the phone powered off took over 45 mins. Powered fully on, powered back off, now charging for the final stage....

UPDATE - Booted to ClockworkMod, got the dreaded Grey Hat in the centre of the display. Had to remove battery to boot normally. Oops

UPDATE - Phone now at 17% and has been on for 23h 25min with bluetooth on for about 2 hrs, about 40 min of phone calls, about 30 mins gps, about 1hr internet and also vairious program usage (photos/ docs to go/texts etc) - I suspect the benefit has been the bump charge rather than resetting of battery stats.

Edited by Goatface

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PeterLeics

I've had the Battery Calibration app for a while, but I've recently gone into Wi-fi settings and turned off the Network Notification (notify me when an open network is available) and my battery life has more than doubled.

Has anyone else tried this with the same success?

Edited by PeterLeics

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jackal-sk

To summarize, so is this method actually a good practice to do ? Or is it as wbaw says, that it overcharges the battery and makes its life shorter in the end ?

Can anyone who knows what's he's talking about answer this ? :)

To summarize, so is this method actually a good practice to do ? Or is it as wbaw says, that it overcharges the battery and makes its life shorter in the end ?

Can anyone who knows what's he's talking about answer this ? :)

No. I was also quite surprised what he's talking about.

All official Li-ion batteries contain fail-safe circuitry that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range of 3–4.2 V per cell. So you don't have to worry about overcharging your li-ion battery, and you can recalibrate your battery safely. It is possible that you have a poorly calibrated stats file that decreases your battery life.

However, remember that a Li-ion battery loses 20% capacity per year on average. Loss rates vary by temperature and charge level. If you keep your phone and battery in warm (+ 35 °C) and fully charged all the time, the battery might lose even 50% capacity per year.

As there's so much myths and fuzz about battery life, I'd also recommend to read these:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

• 4 weeks later...

Ok! I have a serious problem! I made that Calibration, and now after a few days my phone is run out of power (i always charging) and now it always show me its on 1% and it cannot start android without chargeing because it thinks the battery is fully delepted... so what can I do? Pls help...

Ps.: I tried whipeing battery stat, but it wont work :(

**EDIT**

I attached 3 screenshot about that...

post-875723-0-00617100-1319143103_thumb.

post-875723-0-30484800-1319143119_thumb.

post-875723-0-57514300-1319143248_thumb.

Edited by Guest

Ok! I have a serious problem! I made that Calibration, and now after a few days my phone is run out of power (i always charging) and now it always show me its on 1% and it cannot start android without chargeing because it thinks the battery is fully delepted... so what can I do? Pls help...

Ps.: I tried whipeing battery stat, but it wont work :(

No great ideas. Do a nandroid backup first, just in case, then you could try to reflash your ROM without wiping data. If that doesn't help try again with all data wiped. If you don't get anywhere then it may be that your battery is dead.

Ok I solved the problem! I recalibrated it, just neded a whole nigtht to charge it. And now I know what was the main problem! I whiped the batterystat at 100% but I dont allow the phone to fully dischargeing itself, so I think the OS thinks the phone can run up to 1 and half weeks! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest arpit22x

I am having some problem with battery life on Dell XCD 35 (ZTE Blade rebranded by Dell for Indian market). Battery life is not more than 6-7 hrs after installing cm7.1.0 stable. Battery stats shows that DISPLAY is using 62-65 % even after turning brightness level to 30%, windows animations off, etc... I am not using WiFi, 3G or bluetooth. Can anybody suggest something?

Doing the calibration now, let's see what happens....I am at step 3 and it is more than 30 mins but LED is still red. waiting for it to turn green. Does it mean that my battery was not charged fully but cm was showing full mistakenly?

Arpit

Hello people,

This may interest you (from Reddit):

Full Article

User ebola1986's experience:

Summary:

1.Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green, indicating the device is fully charged.

2.Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.

3.Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the notification LED is green.

4.Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.

5.Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the notification LED is green.

6.Disconnect the phone, power it on in clockwork recovery, and wipe batt stats. You need to use this sequence only once.

Because we are using the Blade ignore the "green LED" because Blade goes green at 90%. Just charge it for a while, max it out each time.

Enjoy,

Andy

Guest arpit22x

I think, it did n't work for me. 3% decrement in 5 mins. Pls help....Now, display is using 74% of battery.

Arpit

No Luck dudes!! It ate 25% battery in 2 and half hours in which it was mostly idle. .... Should I downgrade to cm7.0 ? pls suggest.

Edited by arpit22x

Guest doogsville

Doing the calibration now, let's see what happens....I am at step 3 and it is more than 30 mins but LED is still red. waiting for it to turn green. Does it mean that my battery was not charged fully but cm was showing full mistakenly?

Arpit

If it's taking more than 30 minutes for your led to turn green after a full charge i.e. step 1, then I would suspect you have a faulty battery or some similiar hardware problem. If I fully charge my phone, then disconnect from the charger and power off and reconnect to the charger, it takes about ten seconds for the led to turn green. Can you try a different battery in your phone, or try your battery in someone else's phone? I would be seriously thinking about returning it to the supplier for a replacement.

Guest arpit22x

Thanx for the reply,

but I don't think so. because reply#177 of this thread only, phone took 45 mins for Goatface also. keeping your point in mind and seeing so far, reinstalling Cm7.1.0, may be it help.

Edit: Seems like I am having bad luck. Still draining fast.

Edited by arpit22x

• 1 month later...
Guest andy_uk

Apologies for resurrecting this thread...but I have a couple of questions :)

If I were to charge my battery in a separate charger, would this not affect the battery stats file?

and

If I had 2 batteries (well... 3 actually! 2 x 1500 mAh and 1 x 1250 mAh) I presume I would ideally have to recalibrate each time I swapped batteries?

Current ROM is FLB Froyo R10 (if this makes a difference)

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna try this

heres my discharge status

100% to 90% - uder 10-15min doing nothing

10-1% - lasted for a hour even with heavy usage wifi on ,playing mkv x264 high l4 avc video using mx player(played almost 48 min of that video)

Acording to this link, wiping batterystats.bin after charging doesn't do anything to improve battery life,as explained by Google engineer Dianne Hackborn.

it doesnt improve it...

it just recalibrates it...

ie removes the problem i mentioned before

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cowscrubber

it doesnt improve it...

it just recalibrates it...

ie removes the problem i mentioned before

about the article...

Premise of calibration: delete batterystats.bin which stores inaccurate information about your battery which leads to short battery life.

Google engineer says: "The whole idea of erasing that file (batterystats.bin) having any effect on battery life is pure superstition and wishful thinking. The battery usage UI describes what your device has been doing that has been consuming battery; it doesn't change how the device is using the battery."

To summarise the article from meep.o.matic's link in points:

1. batterystats.bin's only purpose is for settings>about phone>battery use

2. batterystats.bin does not store data directly about the battery.

3. batterystats.bin gets renewed each time you charge your battery.

4. Calibration does not exist. It is a myth.

Here's the entire conversation about the topic in google+ --> https://plus.google....sts/FV3LVtdVxPT

The problem you encountered is likely related to the condition of your battery and not with the "calibration".

I used to have that problem until I started to do this: when your phone finishes charging, leave it plugged in for 10 more minutes. Since then, 100% to 90% lasted a whole lot longer. I don't know if that's good for the battery but I've been getting better battery life from it.

Edited by cowscrubber

• 1 year later...
Guest avira.tank

My battery stuck at 17% when is charging on. I see my "OLED" red all the time. What I need to do?

P.s. I wrote it from tablet, sorry for mistakes :)

Guest Snap.IT

My battery stuck at 17% when is charging on. I see my "OLED" red all the time. What I need to do?

P.s. I wrote it from tablet, sorry for mistakes :)

Battteries have a limited life, you need to get a new battery, they are fairly cheap.