Commtiva N700 hackday - the idea

So Tesco delivered by a shiny new Commtiva N700 yesterday (£299 from Tesco Direct / £150 of Clubcard vouchers).

I thought it'd be kinda fun to leave the device boxed until Monday, then work flat out on it all day to see how far I can get with hacking the device and getting from fresh out of the box to fully custom ROM'd / kitchened! I will start another topic and post my progress throughout on the day, but things I would love to achieve include (but not limited to)...,

• First thoughts
  • Rooting
  • Stock ROM backup (images)
  • Stock ROM backup (update zip)
  • Custom recovery
  • Optimised MCR ROM
  • Online kitchen
  • Technical breakdown of the device
  • Hands on video
  • Root / ROM install video

Ambitious perhaps, but it'll be interesting no doubt! B)

Check this forum Monday for updates! :)

P

PS I know someone has made a ClockworkMod recovery for a variant of the N700, but i'll be doing everything from scratch in the interest of science. :)

Guest Mark Horton

I'm getting one tomorrow, as long as Home Delivery Network does their job. Really wish Tesco Direct didn't deal with them. But that's another story. Looks an excellent bit of kit for the money going from what video's I have been able to find.

Guest steviesteve
I'm getting one tomorrow, as long as Home Delivery Network does their job. Really wish Tesco Direct didn't deal with them. But that's another story. Looks an excellent bit of kit for the money going from what video's I have been able to find.

Enjoy!! With Paul working away on the ROM - this device will go from strength to strength. Be sure to post back with your first impressions!

I'm impressed with battery life so far. Played Raging Thunder a couple of times, explored/installed other app's and browsed for a couple of hours. Now the battery is at 56% with an uptime of 117 hrs. I'm running the battery down to 15/20% before charging again and will very happy if, as suggested, it only takes ~3hrs to charge (should do, 2A charger) :-)

Btw, Paul, did I see the SF get a Quadrant score of 900+ on 2.2 or was I dreaming? If the N700 is basically the same design couldn't it achieve a similar score?

Edited by dwok

Guest amarko5
It's a hardware issue, there's no flash compiled for this processor.

Skyfire is one option tho...

P

bah thats a dealbreaker for me, just glad i didn't impulse buy in staples earlier :)

thank's Paul B)

Guest steviesteve
bah thats a dealbreaker for me, just glad i didn't impulse buy in staples earlier :)

thank's Paul B)

I was wondering if Flashlight from the HTC Legend/Aria would work? The chipset used is the same. I think the dificulty lies in the customisations due to HTC sense.

I kinda bought this on impulse, was disappointed by the lack of flash but after a few hours, couldn't put it down.